By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Someone Tell Sony Fans Final Fantasy Isn't Their Series! (article)

psrock said:
andremop said:

Sony Playstation was formed on third party games, unlike any other console. That's why their fans are so possessive. They lost some of their bigger games of previous gens.

"Losing" Final Fantasy and Metal Gear is like Nintendo losing Zelda or Metroid. So I kinda understand. But they have only Sony to blame.

First Zelda is a nintendo game, Metroid is just not as big as the other games you mention, and third we still have those games.

You mad with me?... looks like.

First.... yeah, zelda is a nintendo game...

Second... ask any Nintendo fan, Metroid is huge to them, it's one of the pillars of Nintendo, maybe not in sales, but in importance. So that's why I compared it to the pillars of the playstation brand.

Third... that's why the quotes.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:

@dtewi

I wasn't talking about how it was a bad thing. I was talking about how it could be seen as a bad thing from the "Sony fans".

And people being pissed because of FF is one of the main things that has come from SE's buttfucking of the PS3 fanbase. I showed youa bunch of reasons that ADD to that frustration.

But we're not talking about that.

You showed me were reasons FF fans were annoyed and Sony fanboys were annoyed. We're only talking about why Sony fanboys are annoyed by all of this and why it is wrong to think that.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

The Playstation brand made it as big as it is today, without it Final Fantasy wouldn't be in the top 3 franchises in Japan.

JerzeeBalla said:
I know I was only mad about XIII because it delayed when I would play it. I was actually happy that 360 owners could play it, it ensures that more people can buy it which means more FF goodness.

As long as making a 360 version of vsXIII doesnt delay when we can play it, I see no reason to be upset. I doubt the 360 was the reason for the cuts, especially since the PS3 was the lead platform.

What a resonable post. You mention a few understandable complaints/concerns without blowing shit way out of porportion.

Wyrdness said:
Carl2291 said:
Khuutra said:
Carl2291 said:
I don't see people being pissed off because it isn't just a PS3 exclusive.

I see people pissed off because games that were promised as PS3 exclusives, are no longer being exclusive.

That, and the 360 ports making PS3 owners have to wait EVEN LONGER for the damn game.

A lot of people are saying that the 360 is why FFXIII had that content left on the cutting floor. This isn't reasonable. I think that on some level there is a certain subset of people who are primarily upset that it's no longer exclusive just for the sake of that.

I mean, why would a person care if exclusivity is broken? Especially if the PS3 is the lead platform?

Because they are primarily a fan of the console, not necessarily the series itself? They would care for the PS3 finally having it's own big exclusive from a 3rd party. Not having to share it's big exclusive, with the consoles biggest competitor.

Sure, it's only a slight few who seem to think that, but they still have a right to be slightly pissed.

Another reason i think could stand is this -

Square Enix this gen have basicly buttfucked Sony, and buttlicked Microsoft. The 360 gets a formerly PS franchise, Star Ocean... as an "Exclusive". Exclusive games like Infinate Undiscovery and the Last Remnant while the PS3 remains in the dark. Square Enix also abandon the PS franchise for another flagship series, Dragon Quest.

The PS3 exclusive, Final Fantasy XIII, is then showed at the Microsoft E3 show. This is then rubbed in for over a year constantly at every FF, RPG or game discussion.

The game is THEN delayed for however long. It is confirmed that a LOT of content has been cut. And the 360 version gets exclusive bundles and advertising, despite it being blatantly obvious to anyone but Greenberg that the PS3 version would be the far superior version sales-wise.

The game releases, is bashed by reviewers but sells well. Big, big win for the PS3 sales-wise, as expected... Despite the 360 ad's and bundles. This add's fuel to the fire.

Now, the PS3's final "exclusive" game. Built ground up for the PS3. Nomura, a well known fan of the PS franchise is making it. Touted as being fully exclusive from day 1. Is rumored to be going to the 360... Can you really blame Sony fans for being pissed off as much as they are? REALLY?

You have many flaws here, Star Ocean like FF was on the Snes, Dragon Quest isn't owned by SE it's owned soley by Yuji Horii and he decides everything for the franchise Enix only have an exclusive contract to publish his games and on top of that DQ is another franchise that graced Nintendo's consoles, non of these are PS franchises and you've just displayed what the OP's article is talking about. FF was only rubbed in because lets face it even as a PS3 owner I can see that the PS3's extremist fans (not owners, I'm talking about fanboys) are pathetic and were experiencing poetic justice of the highest order after rubbing FF in the faces of everyone until reality caught up with them. It made it even more silly with the outrage they were calling like every third party game belongs to them only, Nintendo fans got nothing from SE while PS fans at least still get something yet they've thrown a bigger tantrum over this then N64 fans 14 years ago.

My point was that those franchises had been PlayStation games for 2 full generations. For over 10 years.

Then all of a sudden... Nothing.

the fans WILL be pissed.

Around the Network
andremop said:
psrock said:
andremop said:

Sony Playstation was formed on third party games, unlike any other console. That's why their fans are so possessive. They lost some of their bigger games of previous gens.

"Losing" Final Fantasy and Metal Gear is like Nintendo losing Zelda or Metroid. So I kinda understand. But they have only Sony to blame.

First Zelda is a nintendo game, Metroid is just not as big as the other games you mention, and third we still have those games.

You mad with me?... looks like.

First.... yeah, zelda is a nintendo game...

Second... ask any Nintendo fan, Metroid is huge to them, it's one of the pillars of Nintendo, maybe not in sales, but in importance. So that's why i compared to the pillars of the playstation brand.

Third... that's why the quotes.

you wanted me to be mad, you have to try harder.

Again, they are Nintendo games that will always remain Nintendo games.

To me it's not such a big deal anymore, We still get the games and this has forced Sony to give some of the best games this Gen, now take uncharted away from me  then I will  freak out.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Mummelmann said:
It doesn't really make any kind of sense for SE to keep the series exclusive at all, let alone on the console with the smallest user base by far.
The only thing that matters is that FF Versus XIII will hopefully be a better game than FFXIII (which was a huge letdown for me).

@ bolded - What about the fact that RPG's sell better on the PS3?

Infinite Undiscovery, Lost Odyssey, Star Ocean 4. Last remnant all under 1 million copies... and LO was an awesome game

And FFXIII has sold almost 4x as much on Ps3 than the 360..  I know it had a 2 mil lead in Japan or something like that, but still almost doubled it's sales in the west over the 360.

I doubt I am the only person who thinks PS3 is the RPG system (though for the first few years I was doubting that, as 360 had LO and I was stuck with Folklore on my PS3 - god that game was awful)

Unicorns ARE real - They are just fat, grey and called Rhinos

dtewi said:
Carl2291 said:

@dtewi

I wasn't talking about how it was a bad thing. I was talking about how it could be seen as a bad thing from the "Sony fans".

And people being pissed because of FF is one of the main things that has come from SE's buttfucking of the PS3 fanbase. I showed youa bunch of reasons that ADD to that frustration.

You showed me were reasons FF fans were annoyed and Sony fanboys were annoyed. We're only talking about why Sony fanboys are annoyed by all of this and why it is wrong to think that.

Then i still showed you reasons why Sony fans are annoyed...

My point still stands.

I don't see your problem at all, or why you are even continuing whatever it is you are saying.

Gilgamesh said:

The Playstation brand made it as big as it is today, without it Final Fantasy wouldn't be in the top 3 franchises in Japan.

No way it's top 3... Dragon Quest, Mario and Pokemon for starters...

Carl2291 said:
dtewi said:
Carl2291 said:

@dtewi

Then i still showed you reasons why Sony fans are annoyed...

My point still stands.

I don't see your problem at all, or why you are even continuing whatever it is you are saying.

No you didn't, Sony fanboys. They thrive on being illogical and irrational.

There's a reason I put those in italics.

My point is that you don't have a constructive argument to prove that Sony fans have a rational reason to be annoyed by this.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you