By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else a bit offended at claims Heavy Rain's writing is Oscar Worthy?

LordTheNightKnight said:
Porcupine_I said:
Who is claiming that anyway? I mean i heard people claim that David Hasselhoffs cameo performance in the New Knight Rider Pilot was Oscar-Worthy.

as long as nobody with some kind of background claims that, it doesn't even merit discussion imho

Then we can dismiss the reviews as well (cue rimshot and audience groaning).

But people claim hilarious stuff all the time, and you right now, claim, that people claim that. a link would be helpful, as you are obviously not the one who thinks the game is Oscar-worthy, you are the one who is "offended", and to be honest i fail to see the point in discussing anything so vague.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network

I'm not bothered or offended assuming such claims are made - heck, didn't some gaming journos (with more enthusiam than knowledge it would seem) claim GTAIV was as good as The Godfather.

Personally, I'm with Ebert in his recent question of why it matters? Games are clearly miles away from producing writing and direction of the quality of films and particularly novels.

Your point is valid, though, in that if people really do want to see writing, etc. really taken seriously then they're going to have to up their critical view of the medium and demand much higher levels of quality.

That said some parts of HR were reasonably well written, although most was only average.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

rutea7 said:
it's a good story that grips you, it's well writen in a sense that it does what it's meant to do.(1)

why should anyone be offended? are you a writer? do you write movie scripts?(2)

why are you even complaining about something like that when it's related to an exclusive to the only system you dont own?(3)

1. That's "adequate" not "well".

2. Actually I do write some stories. I admit I have a lot of work to do, but I try to hold myself to standards and admit when I don't do a good job.

3. That shows you didn't read the OP, as I noted if the writing was good, I would have championed it. Using the "you have to be a hater because it's not on your system" line won't make the writing good, just as good writing for something won't become bad because someone doesn't like it, (which I did note in the OP as well).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

RageBot said:
As if "Oscar Worthy" means anything aftar Avatar was nominated and Slumdog Millionaire won eight prizes.

Well, no need for this thread anymore!

Reasonable said:
I'm not bothered or offended assuming such claims are made - heck, didn't some gaming journos (with more enthusiam than knowledge it would seem) claim GTAIV was as good as The Godfather.

Personally, I'm with Ebert in his recent question of why it matters? Games are clearly miles away from producing writing and direction of the quality of films and particularly novels.

Your point is valid, though, in that if people really do want to see writing, etc. really taken seriously then they're going to have to up their critical view of the medium and demand much higher levels of quality.(1)

That said some parts of HR were reasonably well written, although most was only average.(2)

1. That really is my issue. It's as though someone wrote a Choose Your Own Adventure book with some violence and sex, took out any speculative fiction elements, and the CYOA fans touted it as a great achievement, but the writing is still on the level of the other books. I would still say that's a dumb line of thinking, and not going to put those books on the level of art.

BTW, I used to read those books, so I actually like them.

2. I agree that the writing has its ups and downs, but overall not really above many other games. I'd compare it do Japanese visual novels (which is likely why this sold little in Japan), except there aren't that many in English (I just bought Sakura Wars V, but the writing isn't that much better, although the camp makes up for it).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Around the Network

Some of you might say "but isn't quality subjective?". Yes and no. There are subjective opinions, but when enough gather, the fact that a lot of people have those opinions is an objective fact. So those turn into quality standards. When it comes to the middle, there is some disagreement (such as the notion of a "critic proof" film), but at both ends of the bell curve, the standards are clear.
I reject this notion outright. The objective fact of a mean collection of subjective opinions does not equate to an objective standard of quality, especially since those objective facts of mean collections of subjective opinion do not remain the same over time. In point of fact, do you realize how universally panned Moby Dick was at the time of its publishing and for years afterward?

Im not offended per se, but no game on the face of the Earth is Oscar worthy.

Khuutra said:
Some of you might say "but isn't quality subjective?". Yes and no. There are subjective opinions, but when enough gather, the fact that a lot of people have those opinions is an objective fact. So those turn into quality standards. When it comes to the middle, there is some disagreement (such as the notion of a "critic proof" film), but at both ends of the bell curve, the standards are clear.
I reject this notion outright. The objective fact of a mean collection of subjective opinions does not equate to an objective standard of quality, especially since those objective facts of mean collections of subjective opinion do not remain the same over time. In point of fact, do you realize how universally panned Moby Dick was at the time of its publishing and for years afterward?

That just proves time can change standards, not that standards are invalid at the moment. Even if Heavy Rain becomes greatdue to changing standards, it is still not great now.

theRepublic said:
http://www.gamecritics.com/daniel-weissenberger/heavy-rain-is-in-many-ways-not-well-written-part-1
http://www.gamecritics.com/daniel-weissenberger/somehow-heavy-rain-continues-to-worsen
http://www.gamecritics.com/daniel-weissenberger/hopefully-heavy-rain-gets-better-from-here-part-3
http://www.gamecritics.com/daniel-weissenberger/heavy-rain-to-the-bitter-end-part-4

Holy BALLS! O_O

The BuShA owns all!

I think, offended is too strong, it's not like people claiming the game hurt you. Because to some people the game made you more emotionally attached than some movies. (not me) And if that's what the game did, and they liked they can call it whatever they want.

Such as Blade Runner was panned when it came out. And it's my favorite movie ever by quite a bit... Oscar worthy isn't just quality IMO. Hell, the movie I like the best,and I usually make sure I go see the oscar movies, rarely wins. The last one I can think of that I agree with was Crash. But my opinion isn't all