By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else a bit offended at claims Heavy Rain's writing is Oscar Worthy?

Look I dunno but I can tell you this most movies that win oscars are absolute BORES for me. They might be good technically but apart from A beautiful mind, Titanic, Lord of the rings movies no oscar movie has really given me entertainment.

Anyway I'm not very good at analysing writing & stuff. But Heavy Rain had a good story, it was gripping & had great plot twists. No the game wasn't perfect, no it wasn't art, but it was very good

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
Well the dialogue from GTA4 is already Oscar-worthy, so if this dialogue is better than that, what else are we supposed to call it?

GTAIV has a 1,000 page script.  Heavy Rain's comes nowhere close.  GTA wins by default. 

Heavy Rain is 2,000 page script btw.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

I've seen oscar movies that I thought sucked... I've seen many cannes movies that I thought sucked.... really, anything can be oscar worthy, it's really up to how many friends you have in the industry...

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Hephaestos said:
I've seen oscar movies that I thought sucked... I've seen many cannes movies that I thought sucked.... really, anything can be oscar worthy, it's really up to how many friends you have in the industry...

Again, "worth" does not mean ACTUALLY getting one.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Reasonable said:
I'm not bothered or offended assuming such claims are made - heck, didn't some gaming journos (with more enthusiam than knowledge it would seem) claim GTAIV was as good as The Godfather.

Personally, I'm with Ebert in his recent question of why it matters? Games are clearly miles away from producing writing and direction of the quality of films and particularly novels.

Your point is valid, though, in that if people really do want to see writing, etc. really taken seriously then they're going to have to up their critical view of the medium and demand much higher levels of quality.

That said some parts of HR were reasonably well written, although most was only average.

you should play the Legacy Of Kain games

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
Hephaestos said:

no where did I imply that it will ever get one. I'm just saying that for me, oscar worthy is not setting the bar high at all...

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

I don't mind the thread, but who is saying Heavy Rain is Oscar Worthy?

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Hephaestos said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Hephaestos said:

no where did I imply that it will ever get one. I'm just saying that for me, oscar worthy is not setting the bar high at all...

I didn't mean you implies that. I meant the films that get Oscar wins and nominations is not what the phrase "Oscar worth" means.

I can't believe how many of you don't know what that phrase means.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

psrock said:
I don't mind the thread, but who is saying Heavy Rain is Oscar Worthy?

Not really much an "is", as "was". I saw it on comments on several sites around the launch. Although how much was viral marketers and how much was herd mentality isn't something I can answer.

it truly saddens me that many gamers consider HR as a well written game