By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else a bit offended at claims Heavy Rain's writing is Oscar Worthy?

LordTheNightKnight said:
Hephaestos said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Hephaestos said:
I've seen oscar movies that I thought sucked... I've seen many cannes movies that I thought sucked.... really, anything can be oscar worthy, it's really up to how many friends you have in the industry...

Again, "worth" does not mean ACTUALLY getting one.

no where did I imply that it will ever get one. I'm just saying that for me, oscar worthy is not setting the bar high at all...

I didn't mean you implies that. I meant the films that get Oscar wins and nominations is not what the phrase "Oscar worth" means.

I can't believe how many of you don't know what that phrase means.

That's the problems of an international website... people write in english but don't necessarely speak or understand it :p (I'm french

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Around the Network
Spankey said:
imo to call something art, first you have to define art.
that's pretty tricky

deciding whether something needs recognition for one or another of its aspects as notable is a much easier task. imo

i like Scott McClouds definition:

"Art is any human activity which doesn't grow out of either of our species' two basic instincts: survival and reproduction!"

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

TheNoobHolocaust said:
Oscar Worthy - no
A well written thrilling story that deserves praise - yes

I agree, i liked the game and the story was pretty good, but i dont think that it was Oscar worthy.

I Hate the fact that all these pillows are contaminated by retard!!

Both Avatar and Titanic swept tons of Oscars and nominations, so please, dont offend HR

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

yeah, there is no such thing as 'oscar worthy' when so many bad movies got Oscars...

I thought HR story wad fine. Still, they could definitely do even better by hiring great scenarists and let David Cage focus on the technical side of the game. We'll come to that a bit later I guess.

Around the Network
Helios said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Some of you might say "but isn't quality subjective?". Yes and no. There are subjective opinions, but when enough gather, the fact that a lot of people have those opinions is an objective fact. So those turn into quality standards. When it comes to the middle, there is some disagreement (such as the notion of a "critic proof" film), but at both ends of the bell curve, the standards are clear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

And as we all know; 2+2=5

Further, can you accurately judge a games 'story' without playing it? As an inquiry into the field of ludology would tell you, it is an ontologically and fundamentally indefensible position. A game's story is created through performance - just like a play - and the players actions, the meaning behind them, is what makes games art. A game is not a narrative, it's an experience.

As an addendum; 'is Heavy Rain a game to begin with?' is a perfectly valid question in the context of this thread.

I was going to chime in here to see if anyone happened to of found a someone who claimed that Heavy Rain was "oscar worthy".  It is possible that you read a bunch of positive regard for something and then you think you read someone who directly said something, but they didn't.  "Killzone is a Halo Killer" is one that has been hinted at, but very rarely said.  However, people say things that make that someone did say them.  I will stand by what I wrote earlier regarding people wanting a game like Heavy Rain to maybe be considered for an Oscar, because it would make videogames be taken more seriously.

Anyhow, on what you wrote Helios, let's look at this for a second.  I would have to question whether or not the game side of a videogame actually has a story.  Or, should we consider the story side as part of something else?  This would then have to make people ask if Heavy Rain is a game, if the narrative side ends up being so huge, that people can get the feeling for what it is like, by not playing.  How much of a game is a game if you don't need to play it to get the story down?  Does something like live action roleplaying, or even improvisational theater, actually have a story, or is the story written by the actors/players in a play? 

the story definatly deserves praise, i stopped playing the game at one point because it was to emotional(when shaun disapears.)

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Hephaestos said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Hephaestos said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Hephaestos said:
I've seen oscar movies that I thought sucked... I've seen many cannes movies that I thought sucked.... really, anything can be oscar worthy, it's really up to how many friends you have in the industry...

Again, "worth" does not mean ACTUALLY getting one.

no where did I imply that it will ever get one. I'm just saying that for me, oscar worthy is not setting the bar high at all...

I didn't mean you implies that. I meant the films that get Oscar wins and nominations is not what the phrase "Oscar worth" means.

I can't believe how many of you don't know what that phrase means.

That's the problems of an international website... people write in english but don't necessarely speak or understand it :p (I'm french

Oh, forgot about that. I'll edit the OP to clarify that.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

how do you undertand the story unless you play it. and this would be a big win for sony. to have a game fit in with there oscar winning movies wouls solidifie them as the shit.

richardhutnik said:
Helios said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Some of you might say "but isn't quality subjective?". Yes and no. There are subjective opinions, but when enough gather, the fact that a lot of people have those opinions is an objective fact. So those turn into quality standards. When it comes to the middle, there is some disagreement (such as the notion of a "critic proof" film), but at both ends of the bell curve, the standards are clear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

And as we all know; 2+2=5

Further, can you accurately judge a games 'story' without playing it? As an inquiry into the field of ludology would tell you, it is an ontologically and fundamentally indefensible position. A game's story is created through performance - just like a play - and the players actions, the meaning behind them, is what makes games art. A game is not a narrative, it's an experience.

As an addendum; 'is Heavy Rain a game to begin with?' is a perfectly valid question in the context of this thread.

I was going to chime in here to see if anyone happened to of found a someone who claimed that Heavy Rain was "oscar worthy".  It is possible that you read a bunch of positive regard for something and then you think you read someone who directly said something, but they didn't.  "Killzone is a Halo Killer" is one that has been hinted at, but very rarely said.  However, people say things that make that someone did say them.  I will stand by what I wrote earlier regarding people wanting a game like Heavy Rain to maybe be considered for an Oscar, because it would make videogames be taken more seriously.

Anyhow, on what you wrote Helios, let's look at this for a second.  I would have to question whether or not the game side of a videogame actually has a story.  Or, should we consider the story side as part of something else?  This would then have to make people ask if Heavy Rain is a game, if the narrative side ends up being so huge, that people can get the feeling for what it is like, by not playing.  How much of a game is a game if you don't need to play it to get the story down?  Does something like live action roleplaying, or even improvisational theater, actually have a story, or is the story written by the actors/players in a play? 

well said