By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo could charge for online.

Nintendo could charge for online.

That sucks, I'm quiting online! 31 44.29%

I don't mind. 22 31.43%

It doesn't effect me, I don't play online. 17 24.29%

Total:70

Since the Wii launched, Nintendo has kept the system's basic online functionality completely free. However, the company might not be married to that business model. In an interview with Edge, Nintendo senior managing director and Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto addressed Nintendo's online plans, suggesting that the company needs to get its online act together.

"Probably the other thing that we are desperate to realize is the core [online] business structure," Miyamoto said. "Do we need to demand customers pay monthly fees to enjoy online activities? Or give an online subscription that is free of charge, but then offer something extra for people that pay, so that they get some extra value? With these core business strategies, I think we are less active than we should be."

However, Miyamoto did defend Nintendo's online efforts to date, noting that the company wants its consoles to be connected online constantly. He also acknowledged that the company "hasn't been very proactive" when it comes to segments like the massively multiplayer online genre, but said the company has implemented online features well in areas "where we can provide our customers with more fun and entertainment."

Nintendo's approach to online gaming has been a subject of much discussion since the days of the GameCube. A week before the system's 2001 North American launch, Miyamoto said Nintendo would only enter the online business when the market is ready. The company's stance toward online remained essentially unchanged until the announcement of the Wii. A Nintendo of America executive in 2002 dismissed connected gaming as "a niche area," and company president Satoru Iwata in 2004 bluntly stated, "customers do not want online games."

The Official 'The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword' Thread (Updated):
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=134508&page=1
Around the Network

Noooooooooooooooooo!

If I were to pay for online Wii then I would expect a network on par with 360. No friend codes, achievments , demo's additional online content. Beta's and other cool features. Nintendo's network is not worth 50$ a year to be honest I've played probubly in total less then five hours online with the Wii. Compare that to about 60-80 hours easily on my 360.

Nintendo doesn't give us enough value to charge anything over 10$ a year and I simply wouldn't pay any more then that, infact I'd be hesitant to even pay that if Nintendo left its features they way they currently are.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

IMO...

If they do this, they need to vastly upgrade the service.

As what is there now, is not worth paying for annually.

If nintendo really did this , it would be their dickest move ever , they are already printing money left and right, so stop leeching your costumers and have them pay for a rather unneeded online (what Wii games you play online? they can be counted in fingers)

plus Brawl online never worked =/

(and Leech rhymes with Peach , that damn princess must have been taking all your money for herself ! =/)

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Around the Network

Well they have to make a profit. M$ charges for its online and SONY and Nintendo have every right to. However i would hope they would upgrade their service drastically if this is to be the case

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Not happening this generation for sure.

Next generation, I expect a model similar to Sony's to be dominant where game play etc is free, but there will be a lot of content you can purchase.

360's was only successful this gen due to its early start and being the only one available at the time. PSN has caught up and Nintendo will be there next gen after listening to common complaints about Wii's version this gen.

Honestly, if they charge for individual skins, DLC's, and to display achievements online, I'd die, roll over in my grave, and blame Wii Fit.

Though if's optional like you get online play for free but have the option for a special subscription with demos, voice chat, and Wi-Fi Connect 24 updates(Think you wake up and Animal Crossing is updated with new masks) that don't infringe on the game experience, I'd be willing to pay for that.

Pixel Art can be fun.

SmokedHostage said:
Honestly, if they charge for individual skins, DLC's, and to display achievements online, I'd die, roll over in my grave, and blame Wii Fit.

Though if's optional like you get online play for free but have the option for a special subscription with demos, voice chat, and Wi-Fi Connect 24 updates(Think you wake up and Animal Crossing is updated with new masks) that don't infringe on the game experience, I'd be willing to pay for that.

I agree.

They would have to offer me a online service par with XBL and all their games would have to have some real good online features. It would also have to be cost effective because I spend about $35 a year for Live already.

It's just that simple.