By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 6 Most Important consoles of all time...

I'd say the list is good. SNES and PS2 were great consoles, but they were both purely evolutionary. 360 is the only "iffy" entry in the list really, but I honestly don't know what I'd replace it with (maybe Genesis? N64? Xbox 1?).

Around the Network

Not bad, the only thing is that the N64 introduced the analog stick and (like the ps1) introduced mainstream 3d console gaming

Great list.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Decent list, horrible commentary.

I LOVE ICELAND!

dirkd2323 said:
Hell no I disagree, No PS2 the first console to bring DVD format to really take off, first console to run a 10 year life span, The top sales of any console, most games, This is simply MADNESS, PS2 has to be on this list, take the 360 off, put PS2 in, 360 should be in there , also take that magnavox off,

1- Atari 2600
2- NES reg nintendo
3-Super Nintendo
4- PS1
5- PS2
6- 360 and PS3

PS3 brought another top disc out to great sales, and take off, Blu ray.
360 for bringing the best online play out first.

This is a real list.

The PS2 wasn't the first console to run a 10 year lifespan.  The original Game Boy went 9 years without even having a successor, so it definitely sold for 10 years.  And the NES was still being manufactured and sold for over 20 years.

Around the Network

what about ps3? it isnt succesful but it is the first console with blurayer and cell processing. all consoles this gen were important each one had diffrent milestones.

for me it would be:

-1- attari 2600

-2- nes

-3- PS

-4- wii

-5- ps3

-360-

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

zgamer5 said:

what about ps3? it isnt succesful but it is the first console with blurayer and cell processing. all consoles this gen were important each one had diffrent milestones.

for me it would be:

-1- attari 2600

-2- nes

-3- PS

-4- wii

-5- ps3

-360-

I don't think that "cell processing" will end up being any more important than "blast processing" in the long run, and giving props to someone for a storage medium seems kind of weird.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
dirkd2323 said:
Hell no I disagree, No PS2 the first console to bring DVD format to really take off, first console to run a 10 year life span, The top sales of any console, most games, This is simply MADNESS, PS2 has to be on this list, take the 360 off, put PS2 in, 360 should be in there , also take that magnavox off,

1- Atari 2600
2- NES reg nintendo
3-Super Nintendo
4- PS1
5- PS2
6- 360 and PS3

PS3 brought another top disc out to great sales, and take off, Blu ray.
360 for bringing the best online play out first.

This is a real list.

The PS2 wasn't the first console to run a 10 year lifespan.  The original Game Boy went 9 years without even having a successor, so it definitely sold for 10 years.  And the NES was still being manufactured and sold for over 20 years.

For pre-PS2 10 year+ home consoles, I can think of...

• NES/Famicom
  • SMS/Mark III (thanks Brazil)
  • Genesis/MegaDrive (thanks Majesco)
  • SNES/Super Famicom
  • PlayStation
  • NeoGeo (deservedly so!)

I actually thought the list was pretty fair.

The 360 is on there because of the impact Xbox Live has had and will have for gaming in the future. Live in years to come will be seen as more important than most people on here are willing to admit, that is why its inclusion is good.

The PS1 is worthy of its place as it introduced disc based gaming that relied upon more than just FMV. It was a important step in the transition from 2d to 3d.

The Wii made motion control a success, arguing its not important given the huge number of new gamers it as attracted is madness.

The PS2 didn't really innovate anything, it was arguable the weakest console last generation techinically, it didn't have any stand out features to blitz the opposition besides a lot of games and price. In my opinion it didn't bring anything new to the table or reboot flagging games sales either.

The Dreamcast was a failure on so many levels, the only importance history will place on the console is as an example of how not to release a piece of gaming hardware. It's was and always will be seen as a disaster, time to throw those rose tinted spectacles away.

The PS3 is worth a shout on that list but not quite yet imo. If in the future we move to playing 3d games on our home consoles then the PS3 is in a prime position to raise its hand and say it started with me on consoles. To be important you should have really innovated and that is something the PS3 cannot claim it has done outright, not quite yet...

For some reason I got the feeling he doesn't like the Wii.

A good list though.