By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EDGE reviews Mario Galaxy 2... Oh dear

Wagram said:
Bamboleo said:
Wagram said:
I AM NOT SAYING IT DOESN'T DESERVE A HIGH SCORE!

I'm saying that it should at least get points deducted for not re-defining! If they punish others for it then this game needs to be punished to!

Is this really a hard concept to grasp?

In that case, Halo 3 is not worth of the 10 they give to it, because it re-defines as much or even less from Halo 2, as SMG2 does from the first one.

I agree with you 100%.

If the sequel brings a lot of new element gameplays, maybe it's justified. In the review, they said they never got bored and that there is barely recycled concepts, unlike Galaxy 1 (Slide Slid Galaxy and Dreadnought)

The real question is, is it really that unfair? You didn't even play the game, you don't know how it is that good.

So, with what you said, any sequel does not deserve a higher or same score as the first. So Mass Effect 2 must be deducted, Uncharted 2 too... They punish other games maybe for being less imaginative or less attentive on details. Some of them are not, some of them are.

If Edge gave GoW3 a 8, it's because maybe of the shortness of the game and the redundant feel of every beat-them-all.

Imagination... that's not what this sequel lacks.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
Maynard_Tool said:
SmokedHostage said:

May 23rd can't come soon enough.
Also the butthurt can't go soon enough.

?

Lmao just where do people get all these pictures from?

On the topic of Edge's reviews I know a lot of you are non-UK gamers who are only familiar with Edge's reputation then their actual approach, as someone who's been familiar with the mag for well over a decade they don't dock points for not being genre defining they dock points for lack of innovation the's a difference, if you look at the games they've given 10s to the's alway been big innovations in those games on top of the overall package. Some of you should work on your comprehension and learn to read things in context as well, either way I knew when I saw the score we'd have the non Nintendo camps up in arms over it.

This.

Carl2291 said:
Cheebee said:

Haha, wow man, look at all the fanpersons rage...

'Oh noez! Teh kiddie Mario game gets a 10, but my supah-hardc0re epic HD game doesn't, it's not fair!!1!'

XD It's hilarious.

Firstly, get a grip. Nobody is debating the game doesn't deserve the score, or even comparing it to HD scores.

Secondly, stop trying to cause MORE arguements in a thread that doesn't need them.

'Get a grip'? Because I find some people's reactions entertaining? Please.

And what are you talking about 'trying to cause arguments'? I was expressing my lulz @ the way some people overreact. I wasn't literally quoting anyone, so if anyone feels addressed or something, then perhaps I was right. (Actually, I was anyway.)

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Cheebee said:
Carl2291 said:
Cheebee said:

'Oh noez! Teh kiddie Mario game gets a 10, but my supah-hardc0re epic HD game doesn't, it's not fair!!1!'

XD It's hilarious.

Firstly, get a grip. Nobody is debating the game doesn't deserve the score, or even comparing it to HD scores.

Secondly, stop trying to cause MORE arguements in a thread that doesn't need them.

And what are you talking about 'trying to cause arguments'? I was expressing my lulz @ the way some people overreact. I wasn't literally quoting anyone, so if anyone feels addressed or something, then perhaps I was right. (Actually, I was anyway.)

By looking from my perspective, both sides, are taking this way too seriously. Edge is not here to please anyone, they are writing what they think about the game. Disagree or agree, it won't change a thing.

kutasek said:
Cheebee said:
Carl2291 said:
Cheebee said:

XD It's hilarious.

By looking from my perspective, both sides, are taking this way too seriously. Edge is not here to please anyone, they are writing what they think about the game. Disagree or agree, it won't change a thing.

Oh man.

I'm not taking anything about this too serious, which should be obvious from my previous posts... I never agreed nor disagreed with the review, at all. In fact, as you can see all I did was make fun of how seriously some people seemed to take this whole thing. I honestly couldn't care less about Edge or their reviews, really, but a lot of people apparently do.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network

Congrats Mario This is a good start. I can not wait to actually play it myself. I can not wait to play and see if it lives up to my hype.

Wagram said:
I'm not complaining about the score. I'm complaining that they way they review games is not consistent. They need to take a step back and fix it because they look like morons.

I think you are missing the point. If I understand the quotes and comments, the review is saying the game does not (re)define the genre, it deconstructs it. And that is even more powerful.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

The "not redefining the genre" doesn't really apply here.

Mario is THE ONLY big player in the platformer genre. We have seen ONE other game like Super Mario Galaxy 2, Super Mario Galaxy 1.

There are tons of games like God of War, tons of games like Final Fantasy TONS of FPS. So when you get one that's just like all the others (FF 13, GoW 3, etc) it leaves you unimpressed.

The Galaxy formula hasn't been worn out like the other games you guys have mentioned, it is still extremely fresh and still has tons of interesting gameplay mechanics despite being a sequel.

THAT is why it didn't factor in here.

lol u got me... but seriously they seem moved by the game... i cant wait :D

ph4nt said:
The "not redefining the genre" doesn't really apply here.

Mario is THE ONLY big player in the platformer genre. We have seen ONE other game like Super Mario Galaxy 2, Super Mario Galaxy 1.

There are tons of games like God of War, tons of games like Final Fantasy TONS of FPS. So when you get one that's just like all the others (FF 13, GoW 3, etc) it leaves you unimpressed.

The Galaxy formula hasn't been worn out like the other games you guys have mentioned, it is still extremely fresh and still has tons of interesting gameplay mechanics despite being a sequel.

THAT is why it didn't factor in here.

You sir, pretty much nailed it.