By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - IGN Mod Nation Racers Review

Perfect score, I was going to give it the same score ^^

Around the Network

Cool. Might get this when it gets cheaper.

getting it.. just because =P

mM

I think I'll need to finish my back-log of games before venturing into anything.

Sony is just quality they have gone strength to strength and great titles like these solidify my statement!

"Life is but a gentle death. Fate is but a sickness that results in extinction and in the midst of all the uncertainty, lies resolve."

yep.. anyone that says there 1st party sucks are just blind

mM
Around the Network

I am getting this because: 1. It looks pretty damn good. 2. I was, sadly, highly disappointed by Mario Kart Wii, so I need my Kart game fix for this generation. Hoping that this will be my KRH (Kart Racer Heroin) 3. I enjoy rewarding innovation and new concepts and stuff like that. Has a game like ModNation ever been done like this? There are probably many track editors out there, but on a console on this scale?

Sony has really earned my respect this generation. They work hard, bringing their own IPs and creations to the table giving the PS3 owners loads of games to choose from in all categories. Sony and the PS3 has something in store for everyone, and ModNation Racers is only one game in that godly mix! ModNation Racers, you my good sir, has earned yourself a purchase!

I wonder about the weapons in this game..does it have equivalents to green and red shells, bananas, bombs, stars, etc...also, can you hold an item in order to protect yourself?..like in Mario Kart, you can hold a banana to protect you against a green and red shell.

JGarret said:
I wonder about the weapons in this game..does it have equivalents to green and red shells, bananas, bombs, stars, etc...also, can you hold an item in order to protect yourself?..like in Mario Kart, you can hold a banana to protect you against a green and red shell.

There are 4 basic weapoons:Missiles, sonic blasts, lightning and speed boosts. (Speed boosts are a special category)

Those can be upgraded each (by holding on to them and riding over another power-up)

Level 2 is stronger (missiles will lock on to the one ahead of you for example), level three is even stronger (missiles attack EVERYONE in front of you)

You can protect yourself by using "boost". If you drift, draft, attack, you will gain "Boost". If you see an attack coming (you get notified, by a sound, a visual clue and your char looking scared while looking backwards), you can press O and you summon a shield. You have to time it though, as it drains Boost.

And that also means you have no more boost to sideswipe or to negate any other incoming attacks (and believe me, they will hammer you sometimes :D).

Speed power-up is different in that it can give you instant speed gain, or (at level 3) will let you skip an entire part of the track.

Part 4 of all the power-ups => you can drop them as mines, to screw with people behind you.

Part of the depth in strategy: A level 2 will take away one level of power-up from whoever is hit by it. Level 3 wipes out your enemy's power-up completely. Level 1 just attacks you.

Sideswiping actually STEALS a level from your enemy and adds it to YOUR power-up level (providing you have the same power-up at the time).

It sounds great, sans load times.

I'm thinking I may need to get this as well. I gots no money and too many games already. ;_;

Thanks for the answer, papflesje!!