By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - GT5 is still 90% finished, says Yamauchi

Its probably the fucking 3D and move controls that's slowing everything down. Just forget about that shit and release the normal 2D game without motion controls!

Around the Network
Chairman-Mao said:
Its probably the fucking 3D and move controls that's slowing everything down. Just forget about that shit and release the normal 2D game without motion controls!

They are going to ride the GT wave and milk it as much as possible.

The Move could use the extra push from GT for sure, if that is the case.

I don't really see what the move could have to offer to GT.... they already have WiiWheel driving with the sixaxis no?

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Chairman-Mao said:

I so fucking second this thought.

nordlead said:
Tuganuno said:
I honestly don't understand. Alan Wake has been polished for over a year. Do people rant about it? No, no they don't because it looks awesome.
Just wait a bit more for one of the best racing games ever made. Untill then you can buy Blur, Split/Second and Modnation Racers.

GT5 was announced 4 years ago. They claimed they could release it whenever they want to in 2009. They then claimed a March 2010 release. GT is a +10m franchise, Alan Wake isn't. I think it's pretty easy to understand why people might be upset a game they've been waiting for years for keeps getting delayed.

If you want to know why people aren't ranting about Alan Wake on this website, it's cause they don't care.

Yh I'm aware of its history (thanks for the summary tho), but still it's kind of dumb to hate Poliphony just because they're taking the necessary time to provide a great experience to their fans. Besides, there are so many great games untill 2010's fall... If it was 2007 all over again, then I could understand, but it's not (luckily =p)

Around the Network

I want them to take all the time they need to make this game as good as possible, but they really should learn to estimate their needed dev time more precisely or to not give an estimation at all - "when it's done".

That's GT Language for "We need another 8 months."

4 ≈ One

Tuganuno said:
nordlead said:
Tuganuno said:
I honestly don't understand. Alan Wake has been polished for over a year. Do people rant about it? No, no they don't because it looks awesome.
Just wait a bit more for one of the best racing games ever made. Untill then you can buy Blur, Split/Second and Modnation Racers.

GT5 was announced 4 years ago. They claimed they could release it whenever they want to in 2009. They then claimed a March 2010 release. GT is a +10m franchise, Alan Wake isn't. I think it's pretty easy to understand why people might be upset a game they've been waiting for years for keeps getting delayed.

If you want to know why people aren't ranting about Alan Wake on this website, it's cause they don't care.

Yh I'm aware of its history (thanks for the summary tho), but still it's kind of dumb to hate Poliphony just because they're taking the necessary time to provide a great experience to their fans. Besides, there are so many great games untill 2010's fall... If it was 2007 all over again, then I could understand, but it's not (luckily =p)

There may be so many games... but there is only one Gran Turismo. Many people were pissed, because it's been rumored that GT PSP have prolonged the development of GT5. And even though GT5 never had a set release date (prior to March 2k10 Japan), people felt like it was beeing moved little by little. Main reason beeing Sony executives running their mouths and Kazunori saying that it's close to completion.

I think that the last push from March to later 2k10 has to do with business strategy rather than time needed for "polish". They wan't to either release it close to holidays = insane sales boost, or support the release of either 3D support or Move. Or just to save some games for the second half of the year to keep the momentum. If you wanted, you could keep developing game forever, there is still something to add, something to polish. The extra time Kazunori and team were given will improve what I believe to be excellent package already, but it is not needed. On GT Planet he said something along the lines of waiting for SCE executives to give him green light, since they are pretty much finished.

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

CommonMan said:
Chairman-Mao said:

I so fucking second this thought.

I think it's just a matter of finding a release window, and that is from september to christmas.  My opinion is that move is not delaying anything and will just be implemented to navigate menus, which is good if you play with a wheel.

We actually had a study at work...talking about failed projects due to missed deadlines and we used Duke Nukem Forever as example.

Apparetnly that game was within 10% of completion 3 times with 3 different engines.

The main guy (forget his name) had shitloads money coming in from Duke 3D and he wanted to get it perfect, no matter at what cost. He had it almost done in 2000 with the Quake 2 engine, but then he saw Unreal which blew him away...and he changed engines.

The same process happened 2 more times...he had the game almost finished but then a new engine came out. The very last time we heard that Duke Forever make be coming out (late 2008)...he had the game almost done again...he just needed another "7 million" from 2K games...who wouldn't give it to him.

Anywho, whats the point of this post you ask? GT5 seems to be taking a similar path here... If another game comes out this year, that sells well and has something GT5 doesn't...it may get delayed again.