By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PLAYSTATION MOVE issue?

Bamboleo said:
WheelStriker said:
Ps3Assassin said:

is anybody gonna look past this whole "sony is copying nintendo" thing and actually try to enjoy the playstation move. its kind of repetitive and annoying when people say that sony is copying nintendo. do they know how much innovating sony did ever since they entered the videogame business. in my opinion i dont think its fair to sony that people look at the whole stupid sony is copying nintendo thing than look at the quality of the playstation move. just wanted to say what i thought

Unfortuneatly not. People are too comfortable with the idea that playstation move is a copy, because thats what their first impression was. People are not willing to change their mind about the peripheral's originality, even though in truth the product has been in the making since 2004 and a patent for a "wand" controller was made in 2005, a few months before the announcement of the wii. Sony didn't copy. They were just late. Same with microsoft. They didn't copy the eyetoy. They just bought the company (or the product) that made natal.

I don't think copy is the right word to describe this motion control trend. I think follow is a more suited word to describe this. Motion is just a method for the experience. Just like hd, 3d, online, etc. 

What they had since 2004 was a light being tracked by eye toy camera, not a full motion controller like the Wiimote, which got blatantly copied, but people will slowly leave the denial phase.

no..that's not true at all:

as a matter of fact the playstation wand development started in 2000 after Marks started at Sony in 1999

and there was already a patent on a wand type device by 2005, well before Nintendo even showed the Wand . both nintendo and Sony were working on the same IDEA at the same time, Nintendo just released first.

which make's the Idea that one copied the other pointless and moot.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network
joeorc said:
Bamboleo said:
WheelStriker said:
Ps3Assassin said:

is anybody gonna look past this whole "sony is copying nintendo" thing and actually try to enjoy the playstation move. its kind of repetitive and annoying when people say that sony is copying nintendo. do they know how much innovating sony did ever since they entered the videogame business. in my opinion i dont think its fair to sony that people look at the whole stupid sony is copying nintendo thing than look at the quality of the playstation move. just wanted to say what i thought

Unfortuneatly not. People are too comfortable with the idea that playstation move is a copy, because thats what their first impression was. People are not willing to change their mind about the peripheral's originality, even though in truth the product has been in the making since 2004 and a patent for a "wand" controller was made in 2005, a few months before the announcement of the wii. Sony didn't copy. They were just late. Same with microsoft. They didn't copy the eyetoy. They just bought the company (or the product) that made natal.

I don't think copy is the right word to describe this motion control trend. I think follow is a more suited word to describe this. Motion is just a method for the experience. Just like hd, 3d, online, etc. 

What they had since 2004 was a light being tracked by eye toy camera, not a full motion controller like the Wiimote, which got blatantly copied, but people will slowly leave the denial phase.

as a matter of fact the playstation wand development started in 2000 after Marks started at Sony in 1999

and there was already a patent on a wand type device by 2005, well before Nintendo even showed the Wand . both nintendo and Sony were working on the same IDEA at the same time, Nintendo just released first.

This will most probably will fall on deaf ears (or eyes lol) sadly

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Bamboleo said:
Arius Dion said:
Sony is in a dangerous positionw/ Move. If the public sees it as nothing more than a Wii wannabe it will be a very big flop. Sony also has to deal with its own loyal fanbase that has rejected the idea of motion controls for going on 4 years now.

It does seem fishy that MC were gimmicks and fads up until about June 2009 when they became the future.

All I know is if Sony and/or M$ are serious about this endeavor they are going to have to really show something more than the lame games and tech demos they've shown thus far. Better tech doesn't mean shit if all it is is better tech lol.

Wii has the motion control realm on lock. Much like Activision w/ war games. It'd be like comparing battlefield or medal of honor to MW. They may be better games, have better graphics etc. but the public knows the name cod and all others are just 'knock offs'.

It is seen like that by majority of people. Even the ones that seek daily for gaming news, let alone gamers that just buy games occasionally and play them.

I believe it is. But I'll wait until its actually released to see if my perspective is indicative of the mainstream gaming public lol.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

@ joerc

And Nintendo is working with motion control since the 80's. What does that prove?

Sony can have as much patents as they like, PS Move is a Wii knock off and everyone can see that.
Honestly, I even think that someday Sony will admit they copied Nintendo holy grail this gen. It would only increase the respect the public has for them.

M.U.G.E.N said:
joeorc said:
Bamboleo said:
WheelStriker said:
Ps3Assassin said:

This will most probably will fall on deaf ears (or eyes lol) sadly

the problem is people like to bring up the ..but what about the nunchuck, the problem with even that the patent that was filed in 2004 also list's that such a second device to control direction was also in the patent. using 2 or a wand like device to attain such control.

both Nintendo and Sony had their respective patent's on such control system's the fact that Nintendo's origional patent in 2003 was not anythink like Sony's for motion control's but both offered control system's for motion control system's.

their patent's are not the same and how they are used in conjunctiion with their motion control technology.

like i stated and each patent show's they were both working on motion control scheme's at the same time. just Nintendo released their's first.

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network
Ps3Assassin said:

Bamboleo said:
@ joerc

And Nintendo is working with motion control since the 80's. What does that prove?

Sony can have as much patents as they like, PS Move is a Wii knock off and everyone can see that.
Honestly, I even think that someday Sony will admit they copied Nintendo holy grail this gen. It would only increase the respect the public has for them.

with all due respect...it's not!

if it was such a knock off they would not even get a patent due to infringement!

you can change something's in your patent , but if the core is too much alike in how they operate you may get denied the patent without paying the first patent holder. if you notice the patent that Nintendo filed in 2003, was not the same as Sony filed in 2004, but yet Both Sony and Nintendo Both were working on their motion control's well before they filed their patent's.!

I AM BOLO

ps:

@ joeorc

I have one single question for you.

If Sony was planning the PS Move since 2004 why this statement form themselves?

"I think the notion of that controller is a non-trivial point that you’ve brought up, that control and that familiarity is like comfort food - from my perspective, we lead, we don’t follow. And as a brand, Nintendo’s got their thing, and we’re not trying to get the senior citizen group to get into gaming"

", but we’d never consider iterating off of existing competitive technology - because we think that’s a fad and that’s not the way we approach product development. It’s not the way we approach the marketing or the branding of PlayStation."

I'd really like someone to explain this. A company that "is creating" a motion sensing pad trolling themselves? ;)

Ups ;)

It's highly likely that the market will see Move as a copycat, and no amount of arguing about tech or patents will prevent that.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Bamboleo said:
@ joeorc

I have one single question for you.

If Sony was planning the PS Move since 2004 why this statement form themselves?

"I think the notion of that controller is a non-trivial point that you’ve brought up, that control and that familiarity is like comfort food - from my perspective, we lead, we don’t follow. And as a brand, Nintendo’s got their thing, and we’re not trying to get the senior citizen group to get into gaming"

", but we’d never consider iterating off of existing competitive technology - because we think that’s a fad and that’s not the way we approach product development. It’s not the way we approach the marketing or the branding of PlayStation."

I'd really like someone to explain this. A company that "is creating" a motion sensing pad trolling themselves? ;)

Ups ;)

LoL.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.