By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - No Call of Duty: Black Ops For Wii?

Bamboleo said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Bamboleo said:
@ Your guess is as good as mine.

Which is 1 million for the average HD game to break even (ports) and like 1.5 million for exclusives (those exclusives like, exclusives, that don't have PC version to share costs).

As for the Wii I think the average game needs to sell about ~300K. I've seen developers being "happy" with 200K but that seems the very low end.

I don't understand what you're trying to prove. The typical Wii game is shovelware. Obviously shovelware doesn't need to sell much.

Also, developers don't put much money into Wii games because 3rd party games typically don't sell very well. When they do, its basically a fluke that no one really expected or an already mega popular franchise.

Ultimately, the Wii library is riddled with games from developers just trying to cash out. That's nothing to boast about.

LOL, and I don't know what you are trying to disprove... I think we pretty much agree in what each other is saying.

And claiming that the typical Wii game is shovelware is trolling. It's the same as saying that the typical 360 lasts for a couple days before rroding, which isn't true.

I'll give the opportunity to edit that out before reporting you.

Well its not trolling when its true. Look at all the games coming this year for the Wii. Or try going to Gamestop, the wall of shovelware is almost staggering. If I said all Wii games are shovelware. Than yeah, that would be trolling.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

Sucks for the wii owners well theres still redsteel2 and that games looks awesome.

Bamboleo said:
They're throwing a lot of money out.

CoD: MWR sold much over a million with amazingly zero advertisement.

While not selling as good as the HD counterparts, they pretty much got higher revenue for the Wii's development costs.

1 million sales on the Wii may get almost the same revenue as 3 or 4 millions on the PS3 or 360, I guess.

But again, they just might not have the time to do it because of the first Modern Warfare port.

These posts might have already been addressed by now, but anyways...

First of all, I don't think you know what revenue means.  Second, CoD4 sold 13.4 million.  In order for it to have lower profits than the Wii version, the development costs would have needed to be around $500 million dollars for the HD version and $0 for the Wii.  This is assuming $30 for wii copies and $40 for HD going to Activision.  These numbers aren't exactly accurate, but they are good enough to reinforce the point.  Your assertions are more likely to be correct for games with very low sales.  i.e. 125k sales on the Wii vs 500k on the HD consoles.

Bamboleo said:
@ Mr. Pugg

Ports on PS3, even being ports, most probably need indeed to sell a million. That's what I said.

And the same way MW Reflex was a port from HD, Black Ops. can also be, hence, even more profitable and doesn't even need to sell that good to turn out profit.

Why do you seem to think a Wii Port costs essentially nothing while a PS3 port would require a million copies sold?  No ports or original games would be released on HD consoles if costs were that high.  There isn't really that much to most ports.  You don't need to create new art assets, hire new voice actors, do new motion capture, CG/recorded cutscenes, etc.  I recall a dev once saying that a port cost about 10% of the original game.  I can't find the link right now, but that makes a whole lot more sense than $25+ million that you are suggesting.

@ Yakuzaise

Nice opinion above. Just like mine.

Happy New Year dude.

Mr Puggsly said:
Bamboleo said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Bamboleo said:
@ Your guess is as good as mine.

Which is 1 million for the average HD game to break even (ports) and like 1.5 million for exclusives (those exclusives like, exclusives, that don't have PC version to share costs).

As for the Wii I think the average game needs to sell about ~300K. I've seen developers being "happy" with 200K but that seems the very low end.

I don't understand what you're trying to prove. The typical Wii game is shovelware. Obviously shovelware doesn't need to sell much.

Also, developers don't put much money into Wii games because 3rd party games typically don't sell very well. When they do, its basically a fluke that no one really expected or an already mega popular franchise.

Ultimately, the Wii library is riddled with games from developers just trying to cash out. That's nothing to boast about.

LOL, and I don't know what you are trying to disprove... I think we pretty much agree in what each other is saying.

And claiming that the typical Wii game is shovelware is trolling. It's the same as saying that the typical 360 lasts for a couple days before rroding, which isn't true.

I'll give the opportunity to edit that out before reporting you.

Well its not trolling when its true. Look at all the games coming this year for the Wii. Or try going to Gamestop, the wall of shovelware is almost staggering. If I said all Wii games are shovelware. Than yeah, that would be trolling.

Just because your local store sells crap, doesn't mean the worldwire picture look like that. Also, I think I am not wrong, Gamestop is a store that buys used stuff. So I am not surprised at all that they buy all the shovelware that uninformed people get and than regrets.

Around the Network
oniyide said:
@gansito your going a little to hard there and Wii fans why some y'all got to ban people that dont agree with you, I dont see that happen on any other systems' site

@ kenny when you put it like that it does make sense, but your saying that their intentionally making it bad for the hell of it and I just dont agree with that. MWR was a decent port, what some guys dont get is that the difference in powere between PS360 and Wii is large, some things just cant be done on the Wii its last gen tech. Just like some things can only be done on high level gaming consoles. in terms of COD the whole Wiimote thing is not completly accurate, and besides RS 2 I havent played a FPS on that system that was accurate and in a genre where the primary thing is aiming and shooting dont you think perfect response is important??? IMHO for the time being if your a Wii-only gamer you might have to buckle down and either get another system, accept that the Wii ports will not get the same care that HD FPSs or just quit the whole genre altogether

I agree with you when you say that some things just can't be done on the Wii as opposed to the PS360.  However, the differences between the Wii and the PS360 versions were, as I established, not based on processing power disparity, as those features were either already been present in games in the previous generation (16 player multiplayer), or unrelated to technical limitations (Nazi Zombies, multiplayer modes, etc).  Either they could not, or would not include those features, and since I've demonstrated that 'could not' cannot have been the case, that leaves 'would not'.  I am also aware that the Wiimote experience is a subjective one, so I'll not debate its superiority over conventional controls, aside from saying that precision can be achieved.

Super World Cup Fighter II: Championship 2010 Edition

Bamboleo said:
@ Yakuzaise

Nice opinion above. Just like mine.

Happy New Year dude.

The first point isn't really an opinion.  A wii game selling 1 million will not make more revenue than a HD game selling 3-4 million unless it is priced more than 3-4 times higher.  As for profit, the only way it would be true is if the cost of development was over $100 million.  You yourself said the break even point would be somewhere between 1 and 1.5 million.  If the HD game sold more beyond the break even point than the Wii game sold in total, then how could it make less money?

As for the ports there is less concrete information, but what would suggest the costs would be so high to require a million copies sold?  It takes less time and less people.  The God of War collection took 15 weeks, and that was with enhanced visuals and tropies added to two games.  Even if you made some absurd assumptions like only $10 per game and 100 employees, that would result in costs of around $350k per employee per year.

i think there will be a wii version. i also think treyarch will unnecessarily gimp it like they did WaW.

Whoever would miss out on a guaranteed million copies sold is pretty dumb.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

leo-j said:
Viper1 said:

I take it you've never played a Wii FPS?  And that you're a Sony fanboy by suggesting a product will have better controls that you've both never utilized before and fail to grasp the fact that pixel precision pointing for Move and Wii are the same thing.

I have, and the accuracy isn't that great.. based on what I have played which was call of duty modern reflex

Then you need to tighten the controls.  If all you played is 1 game, I'm quite certain you didn't take much time tweaking the custoimizable controls.

Bouding box, turning speeds, axis speeds, camera speeds, etc...  I play on all consoles, eeen playing dual analog FPS's and PC FPS's since their inception.  To call the Wii's controls innaccurate or inferior to dual analog just shows how limited someone's time has been with it or how they've made up their mind prior to even trying.

psrock said:
SmokedHostage said:
-60 million USD in revenue to Activision

Assuming this would have sold 1 million in the US and Others.

60 million means shit to them when they are making billions with the HD SYSTEMS.

I hope you never run a large business.   The investors and board of directors would vote you out quite quickly.

The rEVOLution is not being televised