By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Blu-ray 73% of Europe HD Market

The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) has announced that they have sold the one millionth Blu-ray title in Europe. Since the format was launched, Blu-ray has gained 73% of the high definition market over its rival HD DVD. The BDA also announced that 20 million PS3 games have been shipped to Europe, all making use of Blu-ray technology.

A few days ago, the BDA also announced that Blu-ray owned 97% of the HD recorder market in Japan. High definition recorders are more popular in Japan where broadcast TV is of a much higher quality. With only 3% of the market, HD DVD recorders have failed to make any penetration into Japanese homes.

Meh 

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=701

Around the Network

Good news voor blu-ray.

PSN ID: clemens-nl                                                                                                                

And the HD market is what, 1% of the full DVD market?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Europe is also Sony's bitch :P Everyone in Europe loves Sony, so its not really much of a surprise if you ask me.

Seriously, is that really impressive? 1 Million in europe ?
Just so you know, simply in France, DVD reach 180 millions units/year.

Around the Network

So anyone still not shure who will win the format war ?

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

uh oh, what news that in a market where no one cares about that stuff (Europe) the one valid blue ray player (PS3) gets the majority of the share. How is it if you discount the ps3? (For movies bought, just subtract 90% of the movies sold to go with the 90% blueray marketshare of the ps3)

and if someone wonders: i dont know how to write blu-ray correctly and do not care even a bit. i am European.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
And the HD market is what, 1% of the full DVD market?

Here we go again. Nice predictions does not show your bias at all.

Could be more or less we need DVD numbers. 

Europe is the last region you should worry about regarding HD disc sales. Seriously, virtually no one (except a few PS3 owners) cares about HD movies here.

We don't have the same crazy promotions as in the USA (as in "Blu-Ray / HD-DVD player with a thousand free movies for a peanut").

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

LOL I love how the title is Blu-ray 73% of Europe HIGH DEFINITION market, and people barge in with there "omg dvd's are teh 1337's" DVD video's aren't considered High Def guys :) Different topic please ^_^

[edit] Anyways good news for Blu-ray I suppose :D, the market isn't big there YET, and it seems like we know who got the head start. Good news for blu ^^ 

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.