By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Blu-ray 73% of Europe HD Market

Europe does not care. Europe is old tech. Europe is old world. Europe invests in wine and women, not technology. Good lord, anyone listening?

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
And the HD market is what, 1% of the full DVD market?

everyone knows that, and what does this has to do with HD-DVD / Blu-Ray anyway??

don't you think that majors are gonna look which of the two is selling best before really investing in either one??

My point was trumpeting Blu-Ray's sales in this manner, (73% of market) is rather pointless when you realize how small the HD market is, sure its beating HD-DVD, but both are still being trounced by DVD

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

i agree there's no reason for trumpeting yet,
i think most studios are gonna wait another year or so before trying to push either of the formats

Avinash_Tyagi said:
My point was trumpeting Blu-Ray's sales in this manner, (73% of market) is rather pointless when you realize how small the HD market is, sure its beating HD-DVD, but both are still being trounced by DVD

But this isn't a comparison between DVD and Blu-ray, therefor that less than one percent just so happens to be the target of focus in this thread. If you really don't care about either format then your fine, dvd isn't going anywhere anytime soon :) HOWEVER for the people wanting to speculate on the current rate of succes in the Blu vs. HD-DVD war, then this information is somewhat usefull. 

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network

Does anybody here honestly think that HD-DVD has a chance to win?

Thanks to kenobi after I got him to ban my old account (dallas) after someone hacked into it and being ok with me coming back under a slightly different username.  I appreciate our communication in the PMs.  Also I want to give a big thank you to vgchartz for being one of the cooler websites around. 

Oh, and I'm still the next Michael Pachter

For the people that is waiting to decide what to purchase (Blu-ray/HD-DVD) I wouldn't go for any.

The high definition formats are something fancy to spend your money in, but please stop making believe to the people that one of those will be a universal format that everyone will have to rush to the shop and buy.

I don't have any of those, and I think that all these 'news' and discussions that are on the internet are just creating a need that the general public doesn't have but people is making an effort convincing the customers that you need HD in your house, and that the only way of getting it is through Blu-ray and/or HD-DVD.

HD formats are entering the homes of the people at the same speed that they realize that formats are ending.

People download music, and now in more and more houses, when signing to digital TV, you get your HD channels with movies on demand.

I'm not talking about downloading an HD movie, TV in demand is what people are investing in.

Sorry if this sounds a bit out of topic but its to try to give a different opinion on all this format wars, giving the third option.

If someone mentions that the market of Blu-ray/HD-DVD is just a 1% of the DVDs is to show to the hesitating customers that there's no rush yet to purchase any.

If you like having the last fancy gadgets, go ahead and spend your money.

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/YUK04.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0"

ProfDallas said:
Does anybody here honestly think that HD-DVD has a chance to win?

I'm not following this format war very attentively, but I guess if the rumours about much cheaper HD-DVD players for this Christmas are true, it may recover some lost ground.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

hunter_alien said:
So anyone still not shure who will win the format war ?

I think we all know it's going to be DVD.

Yojimbo said:

A few days ago, the BDA also announced that Blu-ray owned 97% of the HD recorder market in Japan. High definition recorders are more popular in Japan where broadcast TV is of a much higher quality. With only 3% of the market, HD DVD recorders have failed to make any penetration into Japanese homes.

Meh

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=701

Broadcast TV quality is better than 1080i in Japan?

Why don't they just record to HD-DVRs.  I imagine they must be free in Japan as well, and they're a lot nicer than swapping discs.