By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How will FF be "revived" in Japan? since FF13 flopped there...

My solution for decline:

First FF of a generation -- Do it on consoles...make it multiplat if possible....put the FF7/10/13 team on it

Second FF of a generation -- Do it on HANDHELDS.....make it TRADITIONAL...in the FF4/6 style. Let the FF9 team do it (the producer for FF9 is still at Square)

Third FF of a generation -- Do it on consoles that had the first FF of the generation & let the KH team do it.

That would be a decent cycle imho.

I have nothing against MMO's & I'm looking forward to XIV but I do think its best if all 3 FF's ina given gen are Single Player.

EDIT: Yes I know this will never happen but its a viable option

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

Maybe the contexts are off a little, I'm far from saying anything flopped myself, however if you put those values into a graph it would be a downward slope.

Last I checked the point of business was to make consumers, meaning garner interest, if Square-Enix is still a business and FFXIII was their product then yes it did fail to meet the goals of that business.

For example, Monster Hunter Tri on debue can be said to be a success in the west and success in the east depending on the context that could change though.

For example it hasn't out sold any of the portable Monster Hunters on portables in the east in that contexts Tri is a horrible failure.

I'm more than willing to accept this and not get defensive because it's true. If you look at just consoles then Tri is a massive success in the East as well.

My post is strictly observational. Honestly I couldn't care less about another FF unless it was FF Tactics which was fun and if my amigo's got into it I would buy it.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Oh yeah because I totally forgot 1.9m sales is a flop, seriously... there's games that have sold less than that worldwide... just because it hasn't sold as much as previous installments doesn't mean it's a flop, maybe if it was 1.9k sales, then yeah... but seriously, how can you possibly call that amount of sales a flop?

The word flop is used waaaaay too often on these forums, and half the time, people don't even know what it means... 1.9m sales = Profit, add on the other sales from US/EU, and dayum.

Bruno Muñoz B said:
Final Fantasy XIII wouldn't have sold any better on PS2. The downward trend for this series started almost a decade ago with a huge decline on the mighty PS2.

PSX

Final Fantasy VII --- 3.277.766
Final Fantasy VIII --- 3.501.588
Final Fantasy IX --- 2.707.301

PS2

Final Fantasy X --- 2.325.215
Final Fantasy X-2 --- 1.960.937
Final Fantasy XII --- 2.322.541

WHAT

where are you getting these numbers from?

our site disagrees

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

dib8rman said:
RageBot said:
dib8rman said:
RageBot said:
dib8rman said:
FF7 increase means that FF 6 was a success and that FF7 was very anticipated.

FF 8's lower sales means that FF 7 was a failure and FF8 wasn't hitting a sweet spot

FF 9's lower sales means that FF 8 was a failure and that FF 9 wasn't hitting a sweet spot

rinse repeat and you have a justification for that slope.

Really now?

Does that mean that Pokemon Red/Blue/Green were failures as well?

I don't know, were they?

Considering that Silver/Gold sold 3 million units less than Red/Blue/Green, they were, according to your formula, of course.

And if you insist that, since RBG are three games while SG are two, i'll just bring Ruby/Sapphire into the equation.

Hm, I don't know who you think I am to insist on anything.

I just wanted to see what you think I'm thinking, because you aparrantly are in my head.

Now that I know what you think I think, I can say you should stop thinking because your wrong.

So, since you don't try to prove me wrong, and only try to be smart and spin it, I assume that you understand that sales for a sequel can be lower that the prequel, even if the prequel was a very good game.

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

Around the Network
dib8rman said:

@Kenryoku_Maxis

Your only problem is you can't see beyond your own point, you've twisted my words to make sense with your logic and until you stop that you can not see the fundamental axiom of my post, do not try to respond to it any further; your wasting your text.

OOOOkkkkkayy....Well at least you got one part right.

Maybe you should listen to what everyone else is saying in this thread, as they are saying the same thing I said.

c0rd said:
Hyruken said:
You have to understand the current Japanese market. It has been in decline for sometime now. Last years sales were down a lot from the previous year.

This year has pretty much continued that trend.

Last week a total of 117k units were sold. Compared to 168k for the same week the previous year. And compared to 183k for the same week 2 years ago.

This generation probably peaked 2 years agon in Japan and since that time numbers have fallen far. Even the PS3 is heavily down. Last week it sold 25k, the same week last year it sold 60k+.

Square Enix are just doing what other Japanese games companies are having to do which is think about how to continue to make money in the current climate. To do this means they have to appeal more to western gamers to bridge the gap from the falling Japanese numbers.

FFXIII did bad in Japan in comparison to other FF games but in comparison to other japanese releases of the past few years it has done very well. That is the only way you can compare them. The landscape has changed.

I don't know about that. You're talking about hardware, we're mainly talking about the sales of individual games in a series. There are many series that haven't taken this turn - take Dragon Quest, for example. (taken from here)

DQ1 - 1,500,000
DQ2 - 2,410,000
DQ3 - 3,770,000
DQ4 - 3,040,000
DQ5 - 2,790,000 (SNES)
DQ6 - 3,190,000
DQ7 - 3,893,293 (PS1)
DQ8 - 3,538,860 (PS2)
DQ9 - 4,020,000+ (DS)

That series has managed to maintain its popularity after all these years.

I'd say the main problem for FFXIII in particular (as opposed to the PS2 games) is how the userbase is split between 4 consoles this gen. Not everyone can afford having a DS, Wii, PSP, and PS3. There are probably many people who would have bought FFXIII had it been on a console they owned, but decided to skip out this round (or find some other way to play the game).

The series does have other problems, as seen by its consistent decline since the PS1 games, though I can't really say I know the best way to fix it. It peaked on the PS1, so the remedy should be somewhere in FF5-FF8.

You've hit on the major problem.  The series is over stagnated.  Even in the PSX days, people were saying there was too many FF titles coming out, and that was only when there was 3 main games and 1-2 side games/remakes coming out each year.  Now we have anywhere from 10+ 'Final Fantasy' games coming out each year, over every conceivable system.  Even the most staunch Final Fantasy fan can't keep up between all the FFVII sequels, the FF remakes on DS and PSP, the side games on Wii, Dissidia and Durge of Cerberus, FF online and the 'main' games.  When it all comes down to it, FFXIII biggest problem, aside from being on PS3 (the price tag), is probably people are losing interest in Final Fantasy.  Between FFXII and FFXIII, they had a chance to play over 40+ FF games.  Many of them probably did, and that's going to make FFXIII less 'magical'.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
dib8rman said:

@Kenryoku_Maxis

Your only problem is you can't see beyond your own point, you've twisted my words to make sense with your logic and until you stop that you can not see the fundamental axiom of my post, do not try to respond to it any further; your wasting your text.

OOOOkkkkkayy....Well at least you got one part right.

Maybe you should listen to what everyone else is saying in this thread, as they are saying the same thing I said.

I'm really not one for jumping off bridges.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

it needs to be aimed at them instead of aimed for the western market slightly more.
however the amount of PS3's are their sold and the sales FFXIII made is actually fairly good considering, will have to work out %'s for them all.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

darthdevidem01 said:
Bruno Muñoz B said:
Final Fantasy XIII wouldn't have sold any better on PS2. The downward trend for this series started almost a decade ago with a huge decline on the mighty PS2.

PSX

Final Fantasy VII --- 3.277.766
Final Fantasy VIII --- 3.501.588
Final Fantasy IX --- 2.707.301

PS2

Final Fantasy X --- 2.325.215
Final Fantasy X-2 --- 1.960.937
Final Fantasy XII --- 2.322.541

WHAT

where are you getting these numbers from?

our site disagrees

I believe those numbers are from Famitsu.

They may not include budget / international releases (or whatever else), though. Would be nice if someone could clarify

FFX sold 2.4m in its first year then went on to sell 3m.

Bottom line; give it time, re-releases will give it a lot more sales.