By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Alan Wake's developers lazy? They couldn't get sandbox to work, but....

i hate sandbox games that try to give you a good story, crysis was fine because story sucks, but GTA u get bored eventually..

thats why i love that Alan wake is not sandbox

Around the Network

you know who's lazy?

Nintendo: the bushes are the clouds

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Remedy said they felt they couldn't get the narrative to work the way they wanted with a sandbox. Deadly Premonition failed terribly at that IMHO so I don't see any difference except the developers of DP went with it and Remedy ditched being sandbox to get the narrative experience they wanted.

Personally, I have strong doubts about delivering truly effective horror in a sandbox environment - so I'm expecting Remedy's decision to pay off rather than hurt the game.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

What is this? No wall of text?

I suppose the OP is too lazy to write a proper post!

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

I think the game will be way better this way. I think a thriller needs pacing above all else, it's a big reason that Heavy Rain is so good, it takes you on a ride and doesn't let you go until it's done. I dislike sandbox games in general (with Oblivion being a glaring exception) so I may just be biased. But I want a game like this to be heavy on the exposition rather than the exploration.

Around the Network
huaxiong90 said:
You look WAY too deeply into insignificant matters, Rich.

This is videogames.  Outside of the excess amount of money involving videogames, if this were REALLY significant, Michael Pachter would still have a job?

I am a bit pressed to find out what exactly IS significant here at all.  We are all diddling in minutia.  It is just some minutia gives people more entertainment than other minutia.

chapset said:

you know who's lazy?

Nintendo: the bushes are the clouds

WOW, that is amazing.  I didn't even realize that until now.  Well, according to a song, if wishes were trees the trees would be falling.  So, then if bushes are clouds, what does that make things?

Porcupine_I said:
What is this? No wall of text?

I suppose the OP is too lazy to write a proper post!

Well, since people pay for videogames....

and developers are supposed to be lazy.

And you didn't pay for the original post,

I guess that means you got more than you usually pay for from me. 

In short, you got laziness, but it didn't cost you, meaning my post is worth more than what you pay for from videogames.

as long as we are making rants about overused words i'd like to submit "flawed".

O-D-C said:
that dosn;t make them lazy, it was a design choice to allow the story to be paced better.

This just about covers that.

Kinect! who needs video games!