By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do we really need a Next Gen?

Do we really need a Next Gen?

Yes! 84 58.74%

No! 59 41.26%

Total:143

yes i believe we do. however each future gen will probably get longer and longer.

this gen will last another 4-5 years most likely

expect future gens to last 10 years at least

Around the Network

Hardware wise we need much more. This gen is nearing 5 years old. By hardware standards ALL these consoles are old tech. I got more than enough playtime out of my $400 xbox. Im ready to spend another $400 on a new console next gen. Just give me some awesome new specs.

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

outlawauron said:
zarx said:
outlawauron said:
Hmm, I'm conflicted. I wouldn't mind the PS3 and 360 getting slight upgrades (more RAM, better graphics card, processor, etc.), but I don't an entire overhaul is needed.

but if you do that you might as well release a nextgen console as everyone would need to buy a new console to get the improvements so all the existing owners would be annoyed and the developers wouldn't bother with it because only a small fraction of the userbase would have it. any change of the base components (RAM, CPU, GPU etc) would mean new games would have to be developed for it so you just get stuck with the old problems a pissed off userbase and make no difference to the majority of games.

A new order of parts would be a lot cheaper than developing an entirely new console from scratch. It'd take a whole lot less time as well.

Thinking from the standpoint that Nintendo's really the only one that can take the large hits from the R&D of a brand new console (if done right).

but it's not that simple, the closest thing to that I know about would be the DSi and that did require a redesign and the number of non DSi ware games that can use the improved hardware can be counted on one hand, additional changing the hardware can break some games if they aren't careful with the design. It's not like the just order a different parts and chuck them into the old hardware, even die shrinks that you see on the ps360 requires a lot of testing and firmware updates. And all three console manufacturers are designing their next gen consoles and have been since this gen launched maybe even before.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Well, the PSP 2000 doubled the amount of RAM. That's another example of stealth upgrading.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
Well, the PSP 2000 doubled the amount of RAM. That's another example of stealth upgrading.

how many games looked better because of it?

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Around the Network

yes we need lots more power, we need 1080p at 60FPS on all games and 1k npc on screen

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

But just think of the jump from PS2 to PS3. Dvd to Blu Ray, Online features, 3D, Motion controllers, Graphics etc. Is there really such a jump these days?

If SONY releases a new redesigned Playstation with a better Blu Ray, bigger and faster cell processor etc etc. It will most likely be backwards compatible, support Move, have the same PSN and online features etc, as the current PS3. Or if Xbox came out with a new redesigned Xbox, with blu ray, better ram, bigger hdd etc etc. It would also have the same features as the current xbox, Natal, XBL etc etc. Those consoles would most likely not be counted as a next gen console. They'd most likely just be sold as a new SKU, and the Arcade and PS3 80gb, or any other SKU, might be discontinued in its place.

But the sales would go on as usual on this site for example. There wouldn't be new tracking of how each of those two new models sold seperately. And the software would continue as usual. It wouldn't be Next Gen. It would be an upgraded Current Gen.

And i think these types of upgrades will continue on for alot longer than 2012-15, before we see all companies release a Next Gen console. Dont you think?

diveintothemuff said:
yes i believe we do. however each future gen will probably get longer and longer.

this gen will last another 4-5 years most likely

expect future gens to last 10 years at least

On the contrary, development cycles have accelerated and are continuing to do so exponentially with each passing gen (just look at all that's happened on the PC since the 360 came out, two full DX versions and brand new features of graphics/animation in realtime, multi core processors etc). I think this gen will end around 2012, perhaps even late 2011 and the next one will be slightly shorter.

STEKSTAV said:
But just think of the jump from PS2 to PS3. Dvd to Blu Ray, Online features, 3D, Motion controllers, Graphics etc. Is there really such a jump these days?

If SONY releases a new redesigned Playstation with a better Blu Ray, bigger and faster cell processor etc etc. It will most likely be backwards compatible, support Move, have the same PSN and online features etc, as the current PS3. Or if Xbox came out with a new redesigned Xbox, with blu ray, better ram, bigger hdd etc etc. It would also have the same features as the current xbox, Natal, XBL etc etc. Those consoles would most likely not be counted as a next gen console. They'd most likely just be sold as a new SKU, and the Arcade and PS3 80gb, or any other SKU, might be discontinued in its place.

But the sales would go on as usual on this site for example. There wouldn't be new tracking of how each of those two new models sold seperately. And the software would continue as usual. It wouldn't be Next Gen. It would be an upgraded Current Gen.

And i think these types of upgrades will continue on for alot longer than 2012-15, before we see all companies release a Next Gen console. Dont you think?

but that kind of upgrade never works as I have said before, just look at the X32 and sega CD for the Mega drive/Genisis and how successful that was, look how successful the PSP Go was consumers don't like when companies release new hardware that is required for new games without it being a new generation, existing users don't like the fact that they have to buy a new version of the console they already have etc. If you are going to upgrade the base specs launching as a new console is a much better option even if you have new games that work on both platforms, I doubt many developers would bother if it requires extra effort to implement. More powerful hardware is available today that would show a big enough improvement for a next generation jump. 

the xenos specs are fillrate pixel:4000 Texture:8000 and meory bandwidth 22.4 GB/s vs

HD 5870 Fillrate pixel:27.2 thousand  Texture:68 thousand and memory bandwidth 153.6 GB/s plus much better Tessellation and other DX11 effects etc and real world performance is much higher than the specs suggest by late 2011 (the soonest that we will see a next gen home console IMO) it will be even higher by 2012 it could be a truly massive jump.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

zarx said:
outlawauron said:

how many games looked better because of it?

It's not that looked better, but they ran smoother and had faster loading times.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.