By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do we really need a Next Gen?

Do we really need a Next Gen?

Yes! 84 58.74%

No! 59 41.26%

Total:143

@ Netyaroze - Im not against development, i love tech. But i dont see a "32 piece posca color pencil set" out there within the next 2-5 years. Not when you can add one color pencil at a time until we have to take that huge leap into the "paintbrush-age".. or even to the "computer illustration-age."

Around the Network

Yes, I want to know what a Wii 2 is all about.

STEKSTAV said:
@ Netyaroze - Im not against development, i love tech. But i dont see a "32 piece posca color pencil set" out there within the next 2-5 years. Not when you can add one color pencil at a time until we have to take that huge leap into the "paintbrush-age".. or even to the "computer illustration-age."

I also think the next step should be a big one but I hope we will be so far in 2-3 years to make a 10-20 fold increase in power.

I dont think that Sony or MS are going to release new consoles without the consoles beeing a dramatic improvment in terms of graphic.because thats what the customers, the Xbox and PS3 owners want. They want better graphic. It would be stupid if they all 3 would try the Nintendo way because noone would be left to cater to the old market. If Sony or MS tried the same thing Nintendo did I would go for the console manufacturer which made it the old fashioned way.

The graphic has to be way way better then PS3 or 360 to convince the people to buy the new consoles. They have to offer things which cant be done with PS3 and 360 if they wont be so far in 2-3 years they are not going to release new consoles. Sony and MS need a big jump in order to sell their consoles so I am absolutely sure that IF they are going to release new consoles they will be drastically improved. If the new consoles will be released the progress will be stunning. computer development has not slown down in the last years. There is no reason to assume that Graphics plateaued I am absolutely sure that we will see a similar step. I always thought the steps are not going to be as big as they were but they were even bigger then I thought each gen. And I do believe we will get our 32 piece posca color pencil set when the new consoles launched because without it they are not going to sell them.

Sony and MS said they will be around longer this time and maybe you are right and we wont see within the next 2-5 years new consoles. I just know If we see new consoles they will be so good that I will buy one. 

STEKSTAV said:

but the thing is with what you are saying is we give new customers an extra pencil (upgrading the hardware slightly) but all the people that don't have the pencil can't enjoy the new paintings because they don't have access to it, that causes a split in the userbase and developers are reluctent to use the technology because very few will be able to enjoy it, so it is not worth the effort. At that point it is more profitable to launch a new console, today tech is many times greater than what it was when the consoles were released the only reason that PC games don't show it for the most part is because of the lack of developers willing to invest in it the hardware is there but the developers aren't because most of them are developing for the lowest common denominator which is consoles or old PC hardware. This is changing a bit as DX11 starts to be used more and PC hardware even in the mid range far outperforms consoles, most ports that run at 720p or lower on and 30 fps consoles can be run at 1080p 30-60fps and more details longer draw distance on midrange hardware today and that is without all the optimizations console games get. Just imagine what will be possible in another year of two...

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

I think this generation (including the Wii) has more than enough processing power. I think we need developers who can differentiate their software on grounds that aren't graphical(other than Nintendo) After all it is software is the real mover of this industry.

Around the Network

With Gears of War 3 Microsoft's biggest franchise by far of the current gen coming to a conclusion in April 2011 (when it usually releases in November), I feel that MS has something else planned for November 2011, and that is probably their next console.

Next gen starts in Nov 2012, I hope. With Elder Scrolls 5 as a launch title on Xbox 3.

I voted no because we all know the world is doomed in 2012 and there willl be no point of having a next gen:P:P

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

If people asked "Do we need a next gen?" back when FF7 was released on PS1 then we would JUST not be getting the PS2...

Next Gen FTW!

Hmm, I'm conflicted. I wouldn't mind the PS3 and 360 getting slight upgrades (more RAM, better graphics card, processor, etc.), but I don't an entire overhaul is needed.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.