By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Halo 3: Homophobia Evolved (NSFW audio)

fkusumot said:
epsilon72 said:
What the kids on live were doing was discrimination against gays, not displaying homophobia (fear of gays). That term gets tossed around too often - discrimination/misunderstanding != phobia.

I think that's among the worst trash talk I've seen on live, but trash talk in general is just so rampant on there that I have no desire to pay MS to play on it, unless they allow you to implement some sort of age filter....

No, it really is homophobia. The fear of someone different is what leads to the hate. Hate is not the primal emotion, it is fear.

No, it's not. While you are right that fear can lead to hate, fear isn't the only thing that leads to hate. What this is, is extreme intolerance for homosexual people, it has nothing or little to do with fear of them. I'm a Christian and i don't tolerate homosexuality but people call me homophobic? No, i do not fear anybody, and as i man i won't stand being called a coward. And just to make things clear I don't tolerate what those guys said on Live either. I have no phobia of gay people. I just dislike thier lifestyle and thoughts on the subject, and (because of thier homosexuality) i dislike thier thoughts on other subjects. But do i fear them? No. I don' t think the guys on Live fear them either.

I think in your post you mistake hate for anger. Fear can lead to anger, but hate is too stong of a concept to be born from fear.  Hate comes from sustained or enhance anger, and anger doesn't always originate in fear.  

Wii Friend Code: 7356 3455 0732 3498 PM me if you add me

Around the Network

Mmmm hmm...

I hate to break it to you guys, but I can take things out of context too. It's not hard to create a video full of clips of people saying one thing over and over, and its certainly not hard to create a pre-bias before the video, creating the illusion that these people are whatever you painted them to be.

For instance, I could make a video of Hitler and his speeches saying how "they" should be exterminated, and how "they" are causing the collapse of Germany, and how Germany is in need of a "cleansing". Right before the video starts, I could tell the people who are viewing "This one guy sure doesn't like termites!", and thus create an illusion that this man is just talking about termites and not about the Jews.

Anyone who's been on Xbox Live should know to take what that video has shown us as a grain of salt. The guys name was "Gay Boy". Honestly, what did you expect? "Oh I think that gay rights have been trampled on by the media and the government. We should all march down to congress right now and get gay marriage legalized!".

What you saw in that video were people cracking jokes, with MAYBE a genuine slander here or there, which was probably even enticed by the player named "Gayboy" himself.

By life end:

• Wii- 100 million+
  • Xbox360- 35~40 million
  • PS3- 30 million
  • PSP- 30~32 million ------------- FAILURE
  • NDS- 85~90 million (Skeptical)  - FAILURE
  • NDS- 100 million+ (Optimistic) -- Success!

Hell, you could be called those names without being gay at all. Some people say those things when you beat them online in any game.

But come on, a username like that what do you expect.

Quack!

I'll bet my avatar and a 1 month ban that the PS3 by March 08 will be 3 Million units away in WW sales of the Wii. konnichiwa, Your gonna regret this!!!!!!

Shadow)OS said:
Mmmm hmm...

I hate to break it to you guys, but I can take things out of context too. It's not hard to create a video full of clips of people saying one thing over and over, and its certainly not hard to create a pre-bias before the video, creating the illusion that these people are whatever you painted them to be.

For instance, I could make a video of Hitler and his speeches saying how "they" should be exterminated, and how "they" are causing the collapse of Germany, and how Germany is in need of a "cleansing". Right before the video starts, I could tell the people who are viewing "This one guy sure doesn't like termites!", and thus create an illusion that this man is just talking about termites and not about the Jews.

Anyone who's been on Xbox Live should know to take what that video has shown us as a grain of salt. The guys name was "Gay Boy". Honestly, what did you expect? "Oh I think that gay rights have been trampled on by the media and the government. We should all march down to congress right now and get gay marriage legalized!".

What you saw in that video were people cracking jokes, with MAYBE a genuine slander here or there, which was probably even enticed by the player named "Gayboy" himself.

Yeah i was thinking about that, but i didn't want to say it because i wasn't entirely sure because i don't have Halo, or Live, or 360...

His username isn't helping but it is sad to see all those people saying things like that. Why not just leave him alone? Why the need to insult him and such? This is just a proof on how stupid and low humanity can be.

Around the Network

I don't see how many people consider it a choice. Why would anyone choose to be treated like that?

Well if gayboy is really gay, then he "knows" that he is different.  Joking or not, he shouldn't have to be treated that way.  However, anyone with a name like that is looking to be approached on the name's terms, and in this case on the subject of "gay."   Halo 3 being a competitive environment full of trash talk, of course they are going to say stuff, but that doesn't mean it would make him feel better.  When playing a dude with a screenname that is obviously of African American orientation, would you throw the N word around everywhere?  There is a lot of debate that could go on about this.

If his name was blackgamer, would he be "just asking" for racist slurs?

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

people need to to keep their comments on others sexuality AND THEIR own to THEMSELVES!!! I don't want to know if you are gay or straight! IT doesn't have anythingto do with work, professional life, video gaming etc... ones sexuality should be private. don't shove it in anyones face, keep it to yourself please

ripper said:
people need to to keep their comments on others sexuality AND THEIR own to THEMSELVES!!! I don't want to know if you are gay or straight! IT doesn't have anythingto do with work, professional life, video gaming etc... ones sexuality should be private. don't shove it in anyones face, keep it to yourself please

Thank you!!

stof said:
If his name was blackgamer, would he be "just asking" for racist slurs?

No, but one has to accept reality and realize that pink armor, pink coloring, and the tag GayGamer is not going to go over well online. If he wants to ride through it and deal, so be it. More power to him. But to do it and then complain is just silly, he should have known that was going to happen.

If you don't want to deal with stupidity, don't provoke it. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/