By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy Showdown Round #7 -- Rate FFX-2 & FF11!

But it is part of the main series. -.-

Around the Network

FFX-2 8/10
Fun Game great Combat, decent story.

FFXI - 7/19
Very fun, but I thought it was far to group dependent.

FF X-2 : A way to further be in the closet with your "Dress-up Doll" game obsession.

GETTIN' CHRONOCRUNK

IvorEvilen said:
deskpro2k3 said:
Linkzmax said:
deskpro2k3 said:

To all the people who claims Final Fantasy XI is a "spin off and not a final fantasy"
I want you to go say that to the 1 million people around the world who plays it everyday.

Let me tell you something. The game has a very deep storyline together with branching quest and stories which is much more deep than some other Final Fantasy game, or mmo you might have played imo. But you wont know that so its pointless to argue.

It is a very successful game that has players playing since 2003. Face reality, it is a Final Fantasy game, and stop denying yourself. You make yourself look pathetic.

If you are one of those who take offense to this post personally, it shows who is a Final Fantasy fan and whose not.

For one, I never said it isn't a FF, just that it shouldn't have the roman numeral. Calling it a spin off from the main series in no way means that it is of lesser quality. For example, the Mario Kart games are a spin off of the Mario platformers, yet both series are considered high quality by most and at the very least each has a large following.

@Linkzmax

I said;

"To all the people who claims Final Fantasy XI is a spin off and not a final fantasy"

Chocobo Racing. I can compare that with Mario Kart lol.

on topic. FF7 has a prequel, and a sequel. Why are those not counted as well like FFX-2?

Chocobo Racing is awesome... good memories...

With Final Fantasy X-2, the game played out like a true Final Fantasy game, and was deserving of the "X-2", while the FFVII prequel and sequel are clearly spin-offs (have few similarities to the gameplay of the main series) and not really main entry titles... at least that is how I see it.

Edit:  Sorry about the two posts in a row :P...

I'm still waiting for your answer IvorEvilen.

What is your definition of a true final fantasy game?

---

If anything, FF X-2 is a spin-off or even an add on. despite being the twelfth game released in sequence and being labeled "X-2", the game is not considered Final Fantasy XII, as it is a spin-off of a previous game, it have all the same zones. Squaresoft originally planned to make two spin off titles to Final Fantasy X. One was to be focused on Yuna, and the other on Rikku. However, that idea was scrapped, and both characters play a central role in this game.

Summon arent really summons, characters can... transform.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:
IvorEvilen said:
deskpro2k3 said:
Linkzmax said:
deskpro2k3 said:

To all the people who claims Final Fantasy XI is a "spin off and not a final fantasy"
I want you to go say that to the 1 million people around the world who plays it everyday.

Let me tell you something. The game has a very deep storyline together with branching quest and stories which is much more deep than some other Final Fantasy game, or mmo you might have played imo. But you wont know that so its pointless to argue.

It is a very successful game that has players playing since 2003. Face reality, it is a Final Fantasy game, and stop denying yourself. You make yourself look pathetic.

If you are one of those who take offense to this post personally, it shows who is a Final Fantasy fan and whose not.

For one, I never said it isn't a FF, just that it shouldn't have the roman numeral. Calling it a spin off from the main series in no way means that it is of lesser quality. For example, the Mario Kart games are a spin off of the Mario platformers, yet both series are considered high quality by most and at the very least each has a large following.

@Linkzmax

I said;

"To all the people who claims Final Fantasy XI is a spin off and not a final fantasy"

on topic. FF7 has a prequel, and a sequel. Why are those not counted as well like FFX-2?

With Final Fantasy X-2, the game played out like a true Final Fantasy game, and was deserving of the "X-2", while the FFVII prequel and sequel are clearly spin-offs (have few similarities to the gameplay of the main series) and not really main entry titles... at least that is how I see it.

---

If anything, FF X-2 is a spin-off or even an add on. despite being the twelfth game released in sequence and being labeled "X-2", the game is not considered Final Fantasy XII, as it is a spin-off of a previous game, it have all the same zones. Squaresoft originally planned to make two spin off titles to Final Fantasy X. One was to be focused on Yuna, and the other on Rikku. However, that idea was scrapped, and both characters play a central role in this game.

Summon arent really summons, characters can... transform like in ff13.

Well, there are several factors in whether or not I would consider any game a true member of a series of games.  First of all, for any game, there must be key gameplay similarities between, and in FF's case, things that each member of the series have in common.

There must be multiple person parties, each one fully and equally customizable by the player (otherwise they are just side characters), and potentially controllable (FFXIII still allows each character to be controlled).  The game must be a single player adventure, but I'm not opposed to multiplayer features as a side.  The games must have battle sequences (FFXII really pushes this... but I guess it can't be totally limited as it is Square's series).  The game must also be an evolution of some sort of the game that came before it, and finally the game must primarily be an rpg, not an action rpg, adventure, or a shooter...

There must also be key things to connect each game, like characters, monsters, and names, examples being Biggs and Wedge, Cactuar, and Fire, respectively.  Music has also been carried over, which adds to the unity.

There are other things that contribute too, but I am too tired right now to really go into detail.  Spin-offs and FFXI take some, but not all of the elements, therefore they aren't really members of the main series, just spinoffs, and if Square wants to sell a game as something that it isn't, then it is only lying to the consumer, tricking them for their money, regardless of whether or not the consumer ends up liking the game.  Sure, Square can dictate what FF is, it's their game, but what a game really is in comparison to the other games around it and what the company markets it as are two totally different things.

Around the Network
IvorEvilen said:
deskpro2k3 said:
IvorEvilen said:
deskpro2k3 said:
Linkzmax said:
deskpro2k3 said:

@Linkzmax

I said;

---

Summon arent really summons, characters can... transform like in ff13.

Well, there are several factors in whether or not I would consider any game a true member of a series of games.  First of all, for any game, there must be key gameplay similarities between, and in FF's case, things that each member of the series have in common.

There must be multiple person parties, each one fully and equally customizable by the player (otherwise they are just side characters), and potentially controllable (FFXIII still allows each character to be controlled).  The game must be a single player adventure, but I'm not opposed to multiplayer features as a side.  The games must have battle sequences (FFXII really pushes this... but I guess it can't be totally limited as it is Square's series).  The game must also be an evolution of some sort of the game that came before it, and finally the game must primarily be an rpg, not an action rpg, adventure, or a shooter...

There must also be key things to connect each game, like characters, monsters, and names, examples being Biggs and Wedge, Cactuar, and Fire, respectively.  Music has also been carried over, which adds to the unity.

There are other things that contribute too, but I am too tired right now to really go into detail.  Spin-offs and FFXI take some, but not all of the elements, therefore they aren't really members of the main series, just spinoffs, and if Square wants to sell a game as something that it isn't, then it is only lying to the consumer, tricking them for their money, regardless of whether or not the consumer ends up liking the game.  Sure, Square can dictate what FF is, it's their game, but what a game really is in comparison to the other games around it and what the company markets it as are two totally different things.

Your definition holds some truth. But, most of it is your opinion sadly.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5