By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What game(s) this gen literally "shocked" you?

i'm kinda disappointed with this thread.

i didn't expect everyone to post so many blockbusters.
for me, the real "wow, this is much better than expected it to be" games are niche games no one knows about or games that everyone else hates, but i love.
like the baseball game mentioned before that i never heared about and will check out now!

super mario galaxy might be one of the best games this gen, but i was not at all shocked by its greatness... i kinda expected it to be brilliant anyway. other players, sales, even critics said so, why should i be shocked if its awesome?

if anything, blockbusters are usually the games i am shocked about in the opposite way because often they don't live up to the hype. and now i see all those overhyped games in this thread ;)

Around the Network
homer said:
Fire emblem RD shocked me. I had never played a fire emblem before. I was used to shining force and advance wars. Best purchase I ever made.

FERD, is a damn fine game, extremely good story to boot.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Oblivion. Shocked by how many things it got right like the realistic leveling system and the gameplay and physics.

Then I was shocked again because of how boring it got after I discovered that everything leveled up at the same rate as me :(

I LOVE ICELAND!

I guess the biggest shock for me is that Fragile was made. I've always been fascinated with the idea of nature's reclamation of abandoned buildings, and here was a game in which I could look around them? Yes, please! The fact that it's a fun game to boot just makes it all the better!

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

inFamous, MAG and Killzone 2. Everything else has been up to what I expected or disappointing.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

why did this thread replies became a top ten list ? man i hate those , anyways i didn't find siren to be any scary at all.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

zelda: twilight princess
as I wasn't a big fan of zelda, and wasn't expecting a lot from this game (it was pretty much just a fill in) I was amazed how supperb it was, I didn't have any hype and didn't watch any footage

super mario 64 ds: as I didn't like the original mario 64 that much, I also didn't feel hype for this game
I was wrong, the game was a supperb remake and and actually blew me away

super smash bros brawl: same as zelda

Left 4 Dead

The first Bioshock, for sure. It is an incredibly cohesive, stylish and poignant experience.

Oblivion and Heavy Rain