By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - God of War 3's anti-aliasing using the Cell's SPUs

A snip: "Contrarily to what I have read on few forums, we are not firing the SPUs at the end of the frame and then wait for the results the next frame. We couldn’t afford to add any significant latency. For this kind of game, gameplay is first, then quality, then framerate. We had the same issue with vsync, we had to come up with ways to use the existing latency. So instead of waiting for the results next frame, we are using the SPUs as parallel coprocessors of the RSX and we use the time we would have spent on the RSX to start the next frame. With 3 ms or 4 ms of SPU latency at most, we are faster than the original 6ms of RSX time we saved."

http://www.realtimerendering.com/blog/more-on-god-of-war-iii-antialiasing/

Eurogamer/Digital Foundry comments:

"The more flexible nature of the CPU means that while such tasks can be more computationally expensive, you get a higher-quality result. "

"In the case of God of War III, any given frame typically takes between 16ms and 30ms to render, give or take a millisecond or two. The original 2x multisampling AA solution took a big chunk of rendering time, at 5ms. Now, the hugely more impressive MLAA algorithm takes a total of 20ms of CPU time. However, it's running on five SPUs, meaning that overall latency is a mere 4ms. So the final result is actually faster, and that previous 5ms of GPU time can be repurposed for other tasks. "

"The God of War III engine excels in handling dynamic lighting, with up to 50 lights per game object. Helios' head (bottom right) is the most obvious example of the player directly interfacing with dynamic lighting."

"We can place lights in Maya and have them update in real-time in the game on the PS3, it's like being able to paint with lights. Lighting is a fast and a very enjoyable artistic process." "

"God of War III stands out in this regard simply because you don't tend to notice the shadows. They're realistic. The human eye is drawn to elements that stick out like a sore thumb, and that includes shadows.

The result is subtle and it works beautifully. As well as working with his team mates in helping to build the PS3 renderer from the ground up, Sony Santa Monica programmer Ben Diamand spent around three years gradually developing the deferred shadowing system employed in God of War III, that works beautifully in eliminating the artifacts and blending dynamically-generated shadows along with others that are pre-baked into the scenery."

"It's games like this, along with Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and Killzone 2, that give the platform holder ownership of the bleeding edge of console gaming technology in the current generation."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/the-making-of-god-of-war-iii?page=4

I had some hefty discussions here on VGChartz regarding the Cell's SPU's performing anti-aliasing, a little snip:

> Please explain how cell is good doing AA resolve, with technical reasons, not with void words."

MikeB: Flexibility, there are different methods and approaches for doing AA (and the need for this also depends on rendering resolution, art direction and other lighting/color effects as well).

I think with this clear realworld example such questions are now suitably answered. As for others who behaved badly and didn't understand what they were really talking about, please be more open minded and polite in the future.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

the majority of every graphics powerhouse on ps3 runs mostly on the cell and not the gpu, everyone knows this dude.

@ hollywood85

Not in the past. Such discussion caused a lot of turmoil amongst mostly 360/PC supporters.

I have always stated the RSX technically speaking is a very good fit for the Cell, as the Cell can do so much for enhancing even tasks normally performed by GPUs (but far more flexible).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

It's kinda obvious, you know, if you stop to think for a minute about all those third-party ports which obviously don't take advantage of the real power of the PS3 (its Cell CPU) and most of them have worse anti-alias than the 360 versions.

Wow, we have been arguing whether the PS3 or the 360 is more powerful for years now. Does anyone even give a shit anymore? -_-

Around the Network

Yes, the ps3 is a more powerful system. We got it. We got it the first time you made a thread on the subject, and a couple hundred threads later you are still bringing it up.

Lets move on, shall we?

ps3 is a more powerfull system, but not by much. its just has 1st party dev's showing what the system can do, because the games are built for the ps3. where as most 360 games are being built using a multiplatform engine.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Does anyone really care about all this technical mumble jumble? I mean seriously God of War looks amazing but do we really care how many ms it takes to render each frame??? I mean seriously just enjoy your PS3 and the games on it

Long Live SHIO!

1337 Gamer said:
Does anyone really care about all this technical mumble jumble? I mean seriously God of War looks amazing but do we really care how many ms it takes to render each frame??? I mean seriously just enjoy your PS3 and the games on it

if people wouldn't care, they wouldn't go into a thread and reply.

that's the strange thing about saying "i don't care" without being asked about something, it already says "i care"

if you want to see stuff people don't care about look for the threads i made

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

1337 Gamer said:

Oh god, this again.  Why can't people talk about the technical side of a graphics engine?  People talk about car engines, don't they?  If you don't care, don't post.  I'm so tired of comments like this.