By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - God of War 3's anti-aliasing using the Cell's SPUs

@1337 Gamer maybe because the thread is for people who care?

Around the Network
1337 Gamer said:
Does anyone really care about all this technical mumble jumble? I mean seriously God of War looks amazing but do we really care how many ms it takes to render each frame??? I mean seriously just enjoy your PS3 and the games on it

There was a time when various VGChartz members posted endless threads regarding micro differences between game ports. Of course I don't care much about such micro differences myself as well, but a lot of claims in such discussions interested me as I'm a tech enthusiast and knew to be incorrect. The devs really going the extra mile to show off the Cell's capabilities interest me a lot more, God of War 3 is one of such games.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:
ps3 is a more powerfull system, but not by much. its just has 1st party dev's showing what the system can do, because the games are built for the ps3. where as most 360 games are being built using a multiplatform engine.

actually being only 20% it's 50-100 more gflops than the other console that's alot and it shows.

The PS3 is technically a lot more powerful than the XBox 360. This due to Blu-Ray, default harddrive and of course the Cell processor. Like Santa Monica stated God of War 3 is their first major effort on the PS3, they said look at where they are now and imagine what they will be able to do a couple of years from now.

Many don't realize the PS3's GPU is more powerful than the XBox 360 GPU, that 360 GPU is more flexible but the Cell is far more flexibile at the stuff it's more flexible at and a hell of a lot more powerful than the 360's CPU, allowing for a lot more game complexity (something which will not show in PS3/360 multi-platform titles).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

all the information is out there ps3 is slightly more powerful than the 360, but thats just based on hardware now if you look at bluray vs dvd then you have an even bigger gap.

ps3 outputs close to 2 tflops theoretically using the rsx and the cell and spes , 360 outputs something like 1 or little higher , but these are theoretical numbers , yes the numbers are right when doing pure number crunching but when applied to game development these resources are easily used up but in the end ps3 with its bluray will continue to make better looking games over the 360 its just plain fact.

when you look at a pc video card like the hd 5970 it alone can produce around 5 tflops theoretically accompany that with a quad core than you have yourself a monster of processing power , clearly a high end gaming pc is theoretically 3 times as powerful as a ps3 and much more compared to 360.

hopefully next gen they make the consoles a little more future proof

Around the Network
1337 Gamer said:
Does anyone really care about all this technical mumble jumble? I mean seriously God of War looks amazing but do we really care how many ms it takes to render each frame??? I mean seriously just enjoy your PS3 and the games on it

Some of us business developers (ie developers that don't work in the gaming industry) do find this stuff extremely interesting. I like finding interesting things on one website I visit regularly.

This technique was first prototyped on the RSX for this game. Obviously it would perform better with a more modern GPU since they would have better data locality.

Tease.

MikeB said:

The PS3 is technically a lot more powerful than the XBox 360. This due to Blu-Ray, default harddrive and of course the Cell processor. Like Santa Monica stated God of War 3 is their first major effort on the PS3, they said look at where they are now and imagine what they will be able to do a couple of years from now.

Many don't realize the PS3's GPU is more powerful than the XBox 360 GPU, that 360 GPU is more flexible but the Cell is far more flexibile at the stuff it's more flexible at and a hell of a lot more powerful than the 360's CPU, allowing for a lot more game complexity (something which will not show in PS3/360 multi-platform titles).

John Carmack in 2005:

"PS3 is probably marginally more powerful, in terms of raw flops and graphic operations, but that’s not really the best way to look at things. When you look at these development cycles that stretch over years and years, being 20 per cent easier to develop on is much more important than being 20 per cent more powerful." http://www.megagames.com/news/html/console/carmackverdictonx360ps3power.shtml

John Carmack in 2009 explaining why Rage runs at only 30fps on the PS3 (360 versions runs at 60 fps):

"The PS3 lags a little bit behind in terms of getting the performance out of it," John Carmack told Edge. "The rasteriser is just a little bit slower - no two ways about that. The RSX is slower than what we have in the 360. The CPU is about the same," http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=220530

Luney Tune said:
MikeB said:

John Carmack in 2005:

"PS3 is probably marginally more powerful, in terms of raw flops and graphic operations, but that’s not really the best way to look at things. When you look at these development cycles that stretch over years and years, being 20 per cent easier to develop on is much more important than being 20 per cent more powerful." http://www.megagames.com/news/html/console/carmackverdictonx360ps3power.shtml

John Carmack in 2009 explaining why Rage runs at only 30fps on the PS3 (360 versions runs at 60 fps):

"The PS3 lags a little bit behind in terms of getting the performance out of it," John Carmack told Edge. "The rasteriser is just a little bit slower - no two ways about that. The RSX is slower than what we have in the 360. The CPU is about the same," http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=220530

if you actually read that article and even more recent stuff he has said that there is no doubt that the game will run at 60fps and be visually superior on ps3,  he has worked with pc architecture all his life, then sony releases something he is not familiar with of course he needs time to work with it, all the big developers have said the same thing before him ps3 needs more time to optimize but in the end it has more raw power.

go read some more on rage he has stated ps3 version is going to look better and run at the same fps and the 360 version is going to be 2 discs , while ps3 is on one glorious uncompressed disc

flowjo said:

if you actually read that article and even more recent stuff he has said that there is no doubt that the game will run at 60fps and be visually superior on ps3,  he has worked with pc architecture all his life, then sony releases something he is not familiar with of course he needs time to work with it, all the big developers have said the same thing before him ps3 needs more time to optimize but in the end it has more raw power.

go read some more on rage he has stated ps3 version is going to look better and run at the same fps and the 360 version is going to be 2 discs , while ps3 is on one glorious uncompressed disc

If you really cared about this crap you'd already be planning on buying it for PC.

Tease.