By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Matt Casamassina leaves IGN

I have mixed feelings about that. Matt was (emphasis on was) a huge Nintendo supporter but his presence on IGN for the last year or two has gone from misguided to irrelevant. I'm glad to see him leave IGN as I think he had become a lost soul, and I'm sure he's getting paid well at Apple - good for him - but I don't know if IGN is better or worse for the loss. Not sure I care anymore either.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Khuutra said:
I don't know what to say.

I haven't read anything he's written for years, but I know he contributes to the dialogue in a way I don't like.

Still, good to know he's happy.

It's ironic (at least from the sentiment in this thread.) that he's going to a job... that would almost needs a focus on casual games.

He's going to be more wii then wii... and less... Mario and Zelda.  I'm sure he'll get paid much better though, so there is that.

Indeed.  He's railed against Nintendo for two generations and now he's going to work for a company who's games amount to 'tilt and drive' racers and Card games.  He's basically back-peddling on everything he's ever said, and most likely for money.

Not that I'm surprised, knowing his past work.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Meh; he was a Nintendo fan for a long time, but he's been one of the most virulently anti-Wii reviewers in the whole industry since sometime in 2008. Reviewing as an industry will be a better place with him gone.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Gamerace said:
I have mixed feelings about that. Matt was (emphasis on was) a huge Nintendo supporter but his presence on IGN for the last year or two has gone from misguided to irrelevant. I'm glad to see him leave IGN as I think he had become a lost soul, and I'm sure he's getting paid well at Apple - good for him - but I don't know if IGN is better or worse for the loss. Not sure I care anymore either.

This is an adequate reflection of my feelings on the matter.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

People still read IGN?

Wow.

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - Spinal Tap

Around the Network

I guess when you lose all credibility in one area, its time to move one.

Harsh.....but its late, and I don't care.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

He went on from reviewing and writing about something that he didn't like to a big position in Apple? Well done.

Xen said:
He went on from reviewing and writing about something that he didn't like to a big position in Apple? Well done.

In America, if you complain and whine enough, people not only listen but hire you to better positions.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Wow insane, the past 12 months has seen a real exodus from IGN

Nebnosneh said:
People still read IGN?

Wow.

ya, like who actually goes on IGN anyway, i get all my reviews from gamespot...lol