By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Mafia Round 16 - Brawlsville

Final-Fan said:
I want all you guys to notice that the Hand didn't slap down my idea.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
Nikells said:
SuperAdrianK said:
I feel like voting for nikkels, he said he doesn't like nintendo, its obvious he's with the subspace, dooming us all!

I have a little voodoo doll of Miyamoto. Yesterday I reversed over it in a truck.

Hmmm.... so you and Trucks are working together?Interesting...

theRepublic said:
For a game with 13 people, I think it is most likely that there are 3 mafia.
3 mafia × 3 = 9 townies
9 townies + 3 mafia = 12 players
4 mafia × 3 = 12 townies
12 townies + 4 mafia = 16 players
Assuming one lynch per day and one kill per night, we can find the possible mafia win scenarios.
  Start Pop Action End Pop Poss Outcome Start Pop Action End Pop Poss Outcome
D1 13 N L 13   13 1 L 12  
N1 13 1 K 12   12 1 K 11  
D2 12 1 L 11   11 1 L 10  
N2 11 1 K 10   10 1 K 9  
D3 10 1 L 9   9 1 L 8  
N3 9 1 K 8   8 1 K 7  
D4 8 1 L 7   7 1 L 6 Poss End
N4 7 1 K 6 Poss End 6 1 K 5  
D5 6 1 L 5   5 1 L 4 Poss End
N5 5 1 K 4 Poss End 4 1 K 3  
D6 4 1 Lynch 3   3 1 L 2 End
N6 3 1 Kill 2 End        

Notice that with the 'no lynch' scenario the town gets 5 lynches, and the mafia gets 6 kills.
With the 'first day lynch' scenario the town gets 6 lynches, and the mafia gets 5 kills.
Keep in mind this doesn't take into account any possible serial killers, vigilantes, day vigilantes, blocked night kills, or double lynches.
Another thing to note in the 'no lynch' scenario is that with a second 'no lynch' somewhere along the way or a blocked night kill, the town makes it to Day 7.
Now, as mafia in Round 15A, I used a chart like this to decide to be in favor of a Day One no lynch, and fight against the second no lynch that eventually did happen.  Of course in that round, I kept this information to myself.  As a pro-town player this round, I would like to see a Day One lynch.  We would still have the option in the event of a blocked night kill, to decide to no lynch the next day to extend the game to Day 7.  I want to see everyone's opinion on this.

I want to start by applauding your appreciation of my little wordplay. 

But I don't think there's much we can get from that table.  As you pointed out, there are all sorts of killing roles that might also exist -- not to mention roleblockers, doctors, etc. -- that would mess up the calculations. 

I don't think we ought to say we will definitely lynch today; but if an opportunity presents itself of course we can. 
But I'll be very skeptical about a No Lynch later on, when we likely will have suspects to pursue, unless we have no good direction to go AND it seems very tactically sound. 

[edit:  edited the table to shorten the columns so as to keep the entries on one row.]

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Ok, Supermario is having ISP problems, and is refusing to call them. So I say we lynch him!

unvote
Vote:Supermario128

dsister44 said:
Ok, Supermario is having ISP problems, and is refusing to call them. So I say we lynch him!

unvote

Um, source plz?

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

Around the Network
Final-Fan said:
dsister44 said:

unvote

Um, source plz?

It was in an AIM discussion. He said whenever he tried to open a browser he go this message

(4:41:26 PM) Mako#: "Your account has been temporarily suspended." Please call us at *phone number* during business hours to discuss your account. >_<

dsister44 said:
Final-Fan said:
dsister44 said:

unvote

Um, source plz?

It was in an AIM discussion. He said whenever he tried to open a browser he go this message

(4:41:26 PM) Mako#: "Your account has been temporarily suspended." Please call us at *phone number* during business hours to discuss your account. >_<

dsister is talking toother players outside the game.  So I say we lynch him! 

Vote dsister44

what the heck are you guys doing?

votes on Falcon, Supermario and Dsister

none of which make any sense...seriously guys...lets get a grip shall we, if you dont suspect anyone, vote no lynch, dont make reasons up...

SciFiBoy said:
what the heck are you guys doing?

votes on Falcon, Supermario and Dsister

none of which make any sense...seriously guys...lets get a grip shall we, if you dont suspect anyone, vote no lynch, dont make reasons up...

Well, for Mario, he was complaining, and I told him to call his ISP. He told me to call them. I then said that I would make everyone vote for him in mafia if he didn't call. so my vote was more to make him call. 

I think Final-Fan and Truck are just sore about the last game  

Final-Fan said:

I want to start by applauding your appreciation of my little wordplay. 

But I don't think there's much we can get from that table.  As you pointed out, there are all sorts of killing roles that might also exist -- not to mention roleblockers, doctors, etc. -- that would mess up the calculations. 

I don't think we ought to say we will definitely lynch today; but if an opportunity presents itself of course we can. 
But I'll be very skeptical about a No Lynch later on, when we likely will have suspects to pursue, unless we have no good direction to go AND it seems very tactically sound. 

I'm not too worried about accounting for roleblockers and doctors, because those would extend the game.  That is good for the town.

Extra killers or double lynches are more problematic.  Really, it comes down to whether there is an even or odd number of these extra kills.  That would give us the information we need to pick 'no lynch' or 'day one lynch'.  Again, that is information we don't have.  Let's try and think some things out though anyway.

A. Let's say we lynch someone today.  Then at some point down the road, an extra kill occurs.  That would normally cause the game to end Night 5 at the latest, but we could no lynch to draw the game out to end Day 6 instead.  Either way the game would have 5 lynches, 5 mafia kills, 1 other kill.

(I almost finished this post but I just thought of another option:

A1. Let's say we lynch someone today.  Then at some point down the road, an extra kill occurs.  That would normally cause the game to end Night 5 at the latest, but we could double lynch to end the game Day 5 instead.  This way the game would have 6 lynches, 4 mafia kills, 1 other kill.) 

B. Let's say we lynch someone today.  Then at some point down the road, two extra kills occur.  The game would end Day 5 at the latest.  So the game would have 5 lynches, 4 mafia kills, 2 other kills.

C. Let's say we no lynch today.  Then at some point an extra kill occurs.  That would cause the game to end Day 6.  Again, that is 5 lynches, 5 mafia kills, 1 other kill.

D. Let's say we no lynch today.  Then two extra kills occur.  That would cause the game to end Night 5 at the latest.  We could no lynch a second time to get us to Day 6.  Either way the game would have 4 lynches, 5 mafia kills, 2 other kills.

E. Let's say we no lynch today.  Then two extra kills occur.  That would cause the game to end Night 5 at the latest.  We could double lynch to end the game Day 5 at the latest.  The game would have 5 lynches, 4 mafia kills, 2 other kills.

The way I see it, A and C are pretty much the same result.  It is just that scenario A is an informed decision, while C is a blind decision.  I prefer A.

Between B and D, it is a judgement call.  With B, the town gets more control over who lives and dies.  With D, you get an extra night action, but the mafia gets more control over who lives and dies.  It's a tough call, but I'm leaning toward B.  Option E gives the town more control over who lives and dies without giving up the no lynch Day One.

You could also extend this line of thinking to if there are no extra kills.

F. Lynch today, no extra kills, game ends Day 6, 6 lynches, 5 mafia kills.

G. No lynch today, no extra kills, game usually ends Night 6, no lynch a second time, game ends Day 7, 5 lynches, 6 mafia kills either way.

H. No lynch today, no extra kills, game usually ends Night 6, double lynch once, game ends Day 6, 6 lynches, 5 mafia kills.

Option F gives the town more control over who lives and dies.  Option G gives you an extra night action, but gives the mafia more control over who lives and dies.  Option H gives the town back control over who lives and dies while retaining a no lynch first day.

Short Version:

It seems to me like if we no lynch Today, then we need an odd number of extra kills.  In that case, we can just lynch one person per day.  That gives the town and mafia control over the same number of kills.  If there are zero or an even number of extra kills, we need to no lynch a second time at some point, or double lynch.  The former buys us an extra night action at the expense of giving the mafia more control over who lives and dies.  The later gives the town more control over who lives and dies.

If we lynch today, then we need zero or an even number of extra kills.  In that case, we just lynch one person per day.  That gives us more control over who lives and dies than the mafia.  If there is an odd number of extra kills, we need to no lynch or double lynch so that the game will not end on a night.  The former gives the town and mafia control over the same number of kills, but buys an extra night action.  The later gives much more control to the town concerning who lives and dies.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)