By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - “Natal is challenging because it’s so different,” says Molyneux

Machiavellian said:
tjallern said:
he only says that because he never worked on the EyeToy.

Yeah, because the Eyetoy has done full body motion capture all this time so Mr. M doesn't know what he is talking about. Look at all the games that were made for the Eyetoy up to this point that does everything that Natal will do and do it perfectly.

it does motion capture and it did body to a certain extend but of course that was way back in 2004-

full motion capture have been done for years, in games, that's how animations are recorded.

it require tons of cameras and "balls" to be precise, that's why many believe they is going to be certain bugs in natal.

things like fingers, and certain lag won't be fixed so easy. it will be present in the final design, but helped by software

Around the Network

MS is betting as though Natal will be their future.

If not, and consumer acceptance wanes due to lackluster games, I could potentially see this resulting in the market seeing an Xbox 3.0 sooner than currently planned.

Molyneux is absolutely right in saying that it will be a true challenge for developers to come up with some truly compelling uses of the technology, whether supplemental (as Fable III is expected to have) or as a sole user interface.

What I don't want to see as a gamer is more games like Rebound and Natal Kayaking, which, while initially amusing as tech demos, aren't likely to demonstrate the benefits of deeper game play something like Natal should be capable of.

Games should literally be designed around the specific strengths the Natal user interface provides (using its 3-D depth perception to translate user motions into X,Y,Z plane in-game actions, rather than simply on the X,Y axis) to really showcase the uniqueness of the experience.

While I don't expect to see this with the initial batch of games (which I expect will be more like tech demos), by Fall 2011, I would hope that the marketing and PR promises of Natal become reality within certain games to be released in time for the holiday season.

Yes, and hopefully, Sony can sell them some 3-d cameras, ect for their trouble.

Bamboleo said:

It’s very, very different to any input other mechanism the world has even seen before because there isn’t any buttons and that’s both its strength and its big challenge. So when you’ve got a game like Fable, there is an enormous number of things we can do with Natal.”

I think that Mr. Molyneux didn't make the right choice of words to describe why natal is "very, very different to any other mechanism"...

The eyetoy couldn't make a geometry model of your body and use it in a game. It worked in a completely different way.

Truth does not fear investigation

BioDomePoo said:
Bamboleo said:

It’s very, very different to any input other mechanism the world has even seen before because there isn’t any buttons and that’s both its strength and its big challenge. So when you’ve got a game like Fable, there is an enormous number of things we can do with Natal.”

I think that Mr. Molyneux didn't make the right choice of words to describe why natal is "very, very different to any other mechanism"...

Ban him this is trolling

I don't see how's that is trolling considering Molyneux's words.

Now you my friend, are disturbing this thread. Don't make me report you, please.

Around the Network

Head and brickwall NightAntilli

@ NightAntilli

Yes it works differently but is also button less, which by Molyneux words is what sets Natal apart......

Machiavellian said:

That just shows the confidense between the two companies on their tech.  Someone convinced MS exec that Natal is the future while with Sony they considered it as a gadget.

How can you say either one is correct at this point? 

whatever said:
Machiavellian said:

That just shows the confidense between the two companies on their tech.  Someone convinced MS exec that Natal is the future while with Sony they considered it as a gadget.

How can you say either one is correct at this point? 

You can't. However Natal + similar have at least 12 non gaming uses that Microsoft is pushing for in other industries. That at least indicates how much more serious they are with the technology than Sony were with Eyetoy and are with Move.

Tease.

Right. We'll see down the road, in a few years, how those technologies fared against each other.

Frankly, except if they make it mandatory, I probably don't want to invest in these peripherals. I already have a wii, so it better be revolutionary to make me buy it over again. I sure hope it'll be as good as it claims to be.