By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - “Natal is challenging because it’s so different,” says Molyneux

Lionhead chief explains why Microsoft's new tech is tricky

"There isn't any buttons and that's both its strength and its big challenge..."

Microsoft Games Studios Europe creative director Peter Molyneux has told OXM that the reason Natal is “challenging” to develop for is down to the fact “it’s so different”.

“For me, Natal is challenging because it’s so different,” the Lionhead boss revealed in a video interview with the mag on Inside Xbox.

“It’s very, very different to any input other mechanism the world has even seen before because there isn’t any buttons and that’s both its strength and its big challenge. So when you’ve got a game like Fable, there is an enormous number of things we can do with Natal.”

Molyneux later added in the interview: “”But what I didn’t want, I wanted for you to feel like you were part of the world. I didn’t want you to go off and play some mini-game totally outside the world of Fable.

“I wanted you to feel like Natal was integrated into the world, if you like. It enhances the world, if you like. It’s going to be integrated in so it has a purpose, and it gives you something, and there’s a reason to do it.”

Fable III will get support from the motion-camera, though not as big as it was previously thought.

Fable III’s out by the end of the year, while Natal’s due by Christmas.

[ Source: OXM ]

Around the Network

Hard development is going to drive up costs for the natal project, not good for MS

he only says that because he never worked on the EyeToy.

It’s very, very different to any input other mechanism the world has even seen before because there isn’t any buttons and that’s both its strength and its big challenge. So when you’ve got a game like Fable, there is an enormous number of things we can do with Natal.”

I think that Mr. Molyneux didn't make the right choice of words to describe why natal is "very, very different to any other mechanism"...

tjallern said:

Yeah, because the Eyetoy has done full body motion capture all this time so Mr. M doesn't know what he is talking about. Look at all the games that were made for the Eyetoy up to this point that does everything that Natal will do and do it perfectly.

Around the Network
Bamboleo said:

It’s very, very different to any input other mechanism the world has even seen before because there isn’t any buttons and that’s both its strength and its big challenge. So when you’ve got a game like Fable, there is an enormous number of things we can do with Natal.”

I think that Mr. Molyneux didn't make the right choice of words to describe why natal is "very, very different to any other mechanism"...

Ban him this is trolling

Machiavellian said:
tjallern said:

Yeah, because the Eyetoy has done full body motion capture all this time so Mr. M doesn't know what he is talking about. Look at all the games that were made for the Eyetoy up to this point that does everything that Natal will do and do it perfectly.

Only problem is that eye toy wasnt marketed very well where Natal is seeing significant media coverage.

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

That just shows the confidense between the two companies on their tech.  Someone convinced MS exec that Natal is the future while with Sony they considered it as a gadget.

BioDomePoo said:
Bamboleo said:

Ban him this is trolling

But that's not ban worthy. It's true that Molyneux could have used a different vocabulary on that one.

I'm guessing F3 will use the controller most of the time and then have little moments of Natal...?

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil