By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Gamasutra March NPD article (with bonus PS3 ltds!)

Barozi said:
However this is just an estimation from the author based on "software dollars" right ?
Or does he really have full informations about those NPD April 2010 LTD sales ?

No, he gets some additional information from NPD directly.  Everything he puts out is sourced from publicly available information (via NPD, Pachter, etc) or from NPD upon request.  He always tries to get a bit of extra info each month.

Around the Network

Looks like he underestimated Uncharted 2 by 200k.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

ameratsu said:

I have to say that some titles seem to be poorly tracked here based on numbers given in that gamasutra article.

Keep in mind just because it says >850k doesn't mean it sold ~850k.  For example, NPD had Uncharted 2 at 950k in the US as of december, and the article writer said it has sold at least 100k this year.

AC II might be way off though.

Yakuzaice said:
ameratsu said:

I have to say that some titles seem to be poorly tracked here based on numbers given in that gamasutra article.

Keep in mind just because it says >850k doesn't mean it sold ~850k.  For example, NPD had Uncharted 2 at 950k in the US as of december, and the article writer said it has sold at least 100k this year.

The leaked NPD total for December was ">900k".  Of course that came from Anihawk, who the Sonycorps around here seem to want to discredit at every turn. ;)

Also, I don't believe Matthews said it's sold over 100k this year?  Where are you getting that?

Yakuzaice said:
ameratsu said:

Motorstorm is certainly way off. That is probably the case for Uncharted 1 as well. Both were "well short of" 750k a year ago, so I'm doubting current VGC numbers that put them at 1.54 and 1.34 million in Americas respectively. And yes I realize VGC's Americas includes Canada.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Around the Network
ameratsu said:
Yakuzaice said:
ameratsu said:

Motorstorm is certainly way off. That is probably the case for Uncharted 1 as well. Both were "well short of" 750k a year ago, so I'm doubting current VGC numbers that put them at 1.54 and 1.34 million in Americas respectively. And yes I realize VGC's Americas includes Canada.

It's also worth noting that NPD never counts software bundled with hardware in their ltds.  So the Uncharted 1 bundle could account for some of that difference.  Was Motorstorm bundled in the US?

jarrod said:
ameratsu said:
Yakuzaice said:
ameratsu said:

It's also worth noting that NPD never counts software bundled with hardware in their ltds.  So the Uncharted 1 bundle could account for some of that difference.  Was Motorstorm bundled in the US?

Mostly bundled

Uncharted was bundled heavily in others though, but there was tons of Uncharted bundles in the US.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

Completely forgot about those bundles. My bad

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

psrock said:
jarrod said:
ameratsu said:
Yakuzaice said:
ameratsu said:

Mostly bundled

Uncharted was bundled heavily in others though, but there was tons of Uncharted bundles in the US.

Yeah, Uncharted had a decent US bundle that basically gave the game away for free iirc ($499 w/160GB back in 2008).  Did Motorstorm have an official US bundle though?  I can't remember?

Yeah Motorstorm had the most bundling with PS3's.

Still wonder why Pacific Rift didn't do that well, its 10 times better than motorstorm 1 & with all the bundling motorstorm 1 got they had a userbase ready to buy motorstorm 2.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey