By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What did the PS3 do that the Wii and/or XBox 360 copied?

TheWon said:

What was that stick in the dam middle of the N64 controller? Mario the first 3d platformer game used it and started it.
Also the Rumble Pak was on the market in April of 97. Dualshock was on the market in May 98. Sony only showed it off in late 97.
His statement about making it popular isn't really accurate either.
I say give the people who invented their due, but it's clear Sony has been on Nintendo dick.
Sense day one after they got but hurt about the SNES addon deal.

The only thing Sony has really pioneer is making us pay high prices for systems.
Never mind 3DO, and Neo Geo beat them to that too. Poor Sony always playing Michael Jackson to Nintendo's Elvis!

Thank you. now I don't have to respond to his BS post at all.

Only reason I said it don't count unless it get popular is becasue non of this tech is new. The inovation comes from taking the tech and making it work for the consumer. The Atari 5200 had a, kinda, analog stick on it I think. But It was the N64 that made it work. And Sony stole that shit faster than you can blink.

Around the Network

Your opinion is flawed because the playstation and playstation 2 was more popular than Nintendo at everything but multiplayer. If we were to use your definition, its definitly Sony who made the real 360 degree analogue stick popular and also the dual analogue stick not Nintendo. Also, the quality of the N64 analogue stick was ridiculous, it was flawed and design was rushed.

With that said, nor Sony nor Nintendo invented those things. Actually in the video game business we rarely see any kind of technologic innovation. We take the technology from somewhere else and then adapt it to work in video game. Its not because a company can release a feature faster then another company that they have inherent rights in regard to that technology. Particularly more since sometime, company that release first will rush the product to be able to release it first. Rumble pack being an awesome example. Nintendo integration was a clunky add-on powered by 2 triple a batteries. While Sonys iteration was vibration integrated into the controller. The latter easily justify the 5 more months before release (5 months is the difference in japan). Even if you still stands by the opinon that second iteration is copying the first one, its unclear which company started working on that technology first. Its not because you release first that you got the idea first. This apply to all new features.

RolStoppable said:

Read this and you will feel enlightened.

this 100%!!! also microsoft copied (is copying) playstation eye with natal

valen200 said:
Sri Lumpa said:
valen200 said:
Cougarman said:
realill said:
PS3 is a first console with Internet Browser and Wii is second.

Dreamcast says hi from the grave

something went down the wrong pipe after reading that. stop trying to kill me you assasin of snark.

didn't the famicom have a primitive modem for some sort ofsattelite link for some very basic functions.?    Not sure I'd call it online but it was an early form of networking.

Well, the NES had the first bowser 

touche, you win this round Sri Lumpa. But next time expect my puns to be far more mighty

I didn't know I was in a competition and thus I wasn't trying to win anything nevertheless I will graciously accept your surrender

"I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

Kage848 said:
TheWon said:

What was that stick in the dam middle of the N64 controller? Mario the first 3d platformer game used it and started it.
Also the Rumble Pak was on the market in April of 97. Dualshock was on the market in May 98. Sony only showed it off in late 97.
I say give the people who invented their due, but it's clear Sony has been on Nintendo dick.

The only thing Sony has really pioneer is making us pay high prices for systems.
Never mind 3DO, and Neo Geo beat them to that too. Poor Sony always playing Michael Jackson to Nintendo's Elvis!

Only reason I said it don't count unless it get popular is becasue non of this tech is new. The inovation comes from taking the tech and making it work for the consumer. The Atari 5200 had a, kinda, analog stick on it I think. But It was the N64 that made it work. And Sony stole that shit faster than you can blink.

And how is my comment BS?  I swear the internet is filled with people who can't debate worth a crap.  It's not about presenting your side and backing it up with facts.  It's now about calling people and their opinions BS and instead of facts, we worry about who got "owned."  The fact remains, you can't credit Nintendo with the advancement of analog, when they used only one stick (as opposed to the two everyone uses now) and for the fact that said stick was digital, not analog.  If you can't admit to that, then I just feel sorry for you.

As for the rumble statement, like I said in an earlier comment, you need to look at the Dual Analog (it included internal rumble), which launched the exact same month as the rumble pak in Japan, April of '97.  Care to explain how Sony copied them then?  And why people use internal rumble now like Sony did, as opposed to a rumble pak?

Around the Network

There's just one problem with your revisionists view of gaming history which you've conveniently not mentioned, the dual analog controller only had vibration in Japan, it didn't have it in the US and Europe because Sony removed it and did one of their classic 'rumble isn't important but we'll include it in the next controller' things again.

So yeah, Sony were that proud of their rumble technology in the Japan version of the controller that they completely removed it for later launches in other regions. Meanwhile, Nintendo were pushing rumble capabilities in all regions...

Sony (and Microsoft) also ended up getting successfully sued for their early rumble tech by Immersion. Nintendo were not sued as they'd used their own tech in the N64 rumble pak and GC controller.

VGChartz

Natal in my opinion looks like a more technically advanced EyeToy. Sony did it first and now Microsoft is improving on it.

playstation it only copies everything. lol

thismeintiel said:
Kage848 said:
TheWon said:

And how is my comment BS?  I swear the internet is filled with people who can't debate worth a crap.  It's not about presenting your side and backing it up with facts.  It's now about calling people and their opinions BS and instead of facts, we worry about who got "owned."  The fact remains, you can't credit Nintendo with the advancement of analog, when they used only one stick (as opposed to the two everyone uses now) and for the fact that said stick was digital, not analog.  If you can't admit to that, then I just feel sorry for you.

As for the rumble statement, like I said in an earlier comment, you need to look at the Dual Analog (it included internal rumble), which launched the exact same month as the rumble pak in Japan, April of '97.  Care to explain how Sony copied them then?  And why people use internal rumble now like Sony did, as opposed to a rumble pak?

Ok I have just done some research and you were right about Nintendo's stick not being truely analog. "While it was still a digital stick, not an analog one (one that operated on the same principles as a mechanical computer mouse), the Nintendo 64's Control stick still allowed for a great deal of varying levels of pressure and near-360-degree control, translating into far more precise movements than was possible with a D-pad" But it was basicly the same thing and Nintendo had it first. Oh and the fact it wasent dual? I never claimed it was. As a matter of fact I think I gave credit to Sony for the DA layout in one of my earlyer posts.

As for rumble. The best I have read states that "The original Rumble Pak, designed for the Nintendo 64 controller, was released in April 1997 in Japan, July 1997 in North America, and October 1997 in Europe----and ---The DualShock was introduced in Japan in late 1997, and launched in the North American market in May 1998...

Now idk how accurate thoes facts are...But if you have someone saying they came out at diffrent times please let me know. My facts are from wiki, i know not the most reliable...pls link yours.

@Icyedge:

I never said the most popular one counts. I said if it was popular. And the n64, ~35m units sold, was popular. There for Nintendo made the thumb stick and rumble pack "work" for the first time. Thats all i ment by that.

soupdawg30 said:
Natal in my opinion looks like a more technically advanced EyeToy. Sony did it first and now Microsoft is improving on it.

adreed.