By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What did the PS3 do that the Wii and/or XBox 360 copied?

Severance said:
mwjw696 said:

Severance  “don't know about you but it actually looks more like the dualshock than the 360's controller”

.You’re kidding right, the wii controller (forget the right name for it) is a SNES controller with grips… the end.

The SNES had 2 analog sticks in the middle , vibrations and grips? news to me..

why did they add those? exactly , they saw what good about the "other" controller and made it like it, at first they had this.

then went to this

dont forget to mention SNES used Sony's chip

Around the Network

All companies copy each other & try to improve on the idea and there is nothing wrong with that.

I'm not just talking about game companies.

Xoj said:
UncleScrooge said:
Xoj said:
scottie said:
Severance said:
richardhutnik said:

I am seeing the Wii getting a controller add on for the Wiimote that looks like the 360.  Outside of that, what else?  Can someone fill me in here?

don't know about you but it actually looks more like the dualshock than the 360's controller.

other than that, i can add some stuff that i rather call inspiration than a "Rip off!" to this thread but i choose not to because there are some people who will take it deeply and personally.

Correlation does not imply causation. The reason the classic controller looks like the dual shock is because they are both SNES pads with analogue sticks added on in the only place you could add them

Edit - stupid typo *brews more coffee*

it's not like nintendo was first either by your definition nintendo COPIED ATARI and therefore they have never innovated.

It's funny (no pun here... I know everyone sounds angry on forums ) that most people think the Wii Classic Controller is a copy of the Dual Shock.

It's true the very first Playstation controller was pretty much a SNES controller with two "grips" or wahtever you call that. Anyone remember that one? It didn't feature control sticks hehe

But I don't think Nintendo copied Atari. I mean the SNES controller is pretty much a NES controller with some additional buttons. At the time Nintendo released the NES Atari still used Joysticks, didn't they? (I never played Atari but I remember my neighbour saying the NES controller looked crazy because of the D-Pad)

And what is the definition of "copying" to most people here? Can you really "copy" a disc drive or a HDD? These were just the next logical steps. But you can copy the Wii remote (because it was so radically different than any controller before) or the NES controller (same here) because they really changed how the game was played. Literally You can't "copy" / "steal" technology technology that was pretty obvious to be used (in a sense of "if you use a HDD you copied me!") but you can copy the use of technology. So if there's something Nintendo really copied it would be the use of two analog sticks on a single controller. But Nintendo surely didn't copy "motion control" (= Eyetoy) because the Wii Remote is a completely different concept.

So basically if there is something the whole industry is looking forward to (3D graphics, HDD's, HD graphics, Blu-Ray) I wouldn't say you really "innovated" by using this and when someone else uses it, too he didn't really copy you.

But when you introduce something that really changes how the game is played, something that is different enough to be considered a radical change and then suddenly someone else follows you (like introducing a motion controller after using a completely different concept of a controller before) then he pretty much copied, yeah. This isn't "evil" or bad or something. If you happen to copy an idea and improve it drastically (like the Dual Shock did with its two analog sticks) you can still be proud of it.

But hey it's not like people would stop arguing hehe

atari made the first same console, nintendo jumped on the market with a simpler controller, and if u didnt know, first ps was a snes cd player.

then it's only the symmetrical dual analog, they put R2 L2 buttoms, home buttom,  and control legs in in almost the exact same place, also nintendo went for CDS after PS1 was succesful.  but nintendo was a jerk to 3d in the snes/n64, that ps2 got exclusivity out of the box, that moving into a cd based format in GC wasn't to succesful.

Dualshock2-3 dont even look similar to SNES controller now, thanks god.

though i don't agree it's copying, cuz sony developed their technology from ground up, and they are videos from 2003!!! to prove it.

that does thing natal, and wii mote doing now.

word innovation it's always badly used, especially when talking about using existing technology to use things different, something i see alot with nintendo and apple.

i dont see innovation it just using the tecnology, but going all the way to develop it. other than being just creative with it.

When talking about Nintendo and Atari I meant that Nintendo's NES controlles was so different from Atari's that they surely didn't copy the controller. I wasn't talking about the concept of gaming consoles itself. As I said I could be wrong here but I remember my neighbour saying the NES controller felt weird because it had a D-Pad (instead of a Joystick). The foundation for all current controllers (besides the Wii remote maybe) is the NES controller. The Dual Shock surely's got some twists on its own (as I said Dual analog sticks where quite an idea) but basically it's a NES controller with added features.

And Dual Shocks do look similar to NES controllers. You just think they don't because most controllers look exactly the same

And it doesn't matter if there are videos from 2003 or 1890 or even earlier. Sony tested some ways to control games and they thought it wasn't worth it. Nintendo developed the Wii remote and built a console around it and when Sony saw that it worked they made their own motion controller. You can pretty much tell Move was inspired by the Wii remote because it looks almost exactly the same (don't compare those tiny things that are different on the Move controller. Compare Move and Wiimote and then compare Move and a Dual Shock - which was the source of inspiration? )

But I don't think inspiration from other companies is bad anyways. As long as you improve on the existing concept I highly appreciate it. I just think it's silly to say Sony wasn't inspired by the Wii Remote - sure they were! It's pretty obvious. But that's not bad. Some (do I dare to say "most"?) of the very best pieces of art, literature, music, etc. were inspired by others. That's how civilization works. Imagine the guy who inventend the wheel killing everyone else because they were "copying" him

Severance said:
Herbie95 said:
360 copied wireless controllers.
360 copied HDMI port.
360 attempted to copy Bluray with HD DVD - FAIL
360 copied with the larger HDD

Then again the industry evolves around copying and improving.

Lol wha?

@bolded #1

Wireless controllers came ages ago as third party controller, but the 360 had the first official wireless controllers.

@bolded #2

What is this i don't even ....

Nope, AFAIK Wavebird was first with a RF controlled first party controller.

There were 3rd party IR controller but tended to be crap due to the limitations of IR tech (keeping the controller in line of sight of the sensor).

Wavebird was the first using radio waves instead of infrared and thus the first practical wireless controller.

As it was made by Nintendo it was also the first official wireless controller.

The 360 can claim the first _standard_ wireless controller though it could be disputed as the cheapest 360's came with wired controllers at launch (don't know about now).

As for other people's posts mentioning the new Nintendo controller looking like a dualshock; that controller is what happens when a SNES controller has some freaky 3-way sex with two N64 controllers: Basic SNES face with 2 N64-like analog sticks (octogone lined and centering unlike most (all?) 80's era analog sticks) and wings and an extra shoulder buttons added as a standard evolution just like the SNES added a couple extra face buttons over the NES controller.

As for the wings I do believe the PS1 was the first with fully formed wings as the Genesis and Saturn only had stubby wings. Still, seems more like a natural evolution of those controller's ergonomics than a radical departure like the analog stick or the Wii's brand of motion control.

"I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

valen200 said:
Cougarman said:
realill said:
PS3 is a first console with Internet Browser and Wii is second.

Dreamcast says hi from the grave

something went down the wrong pipe after reading that. stop trying to kill me you assasin of snark.

didn't the famicom have a primitive modem for some sort ofsattelite link for some very basic functions.?    Not sure I'd call it online but it was an early form of networking.

Well, the NES had the first bowser 

"I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

Around the Network

This whole thread was one big troll attempt, but whatever...

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

realill said:
CGI-Quality said:
PS3 was the first HDMI-ready console. After it's launch, the 360 added the function.

This ^

There is rumor, that 360 going to copy slim model :)

Nintendo, ColecoVision, Atari, SEGA all had slim models.

Wildchild_cob29 said:
Xoj said:
scottie said:
Xoj said:
scottie said:
Severance said:
richardhutnik said:

I am seeing the Wii getting a controller add on for the Wiimote that looks like the 360.  Outside of that, what else?  Can someone fill me in here?

don't know about you but it actually looks more like the dualshock than the 360's controller.

other than that, i can add some stuff that i rather call inspiration than a "Rip off!" to this thread but i choose not to because there are some people who will take it deeply and personally.

Correlation does not imply causation. The reason the classic controller looks like the dual shock is because they are both SNES pads with analogue sticks added on in the only place you could add them

Edit - stupid typo *brews more coffee*

it's not like nintendo was first either by your definition nintendo COPIED ATARI and therefore they have never innovated.

SNES - dpad on the left, 4 buttons arranged in a diamond on the right, start and select  in the middle, 2 shoulder buttons

PS1/2 - dpad on the left, 4 buttons arranged in a diamond on the right, start and select  in the middle, analogue sticks below the dpad and 4 buttons, 4 shoulder buttons 

Classic controller/ps3 - dpad on the left, 4 buttons arranged in a diamond on the right, start, home and select  in the middle, analogue sticks below the dpad and 4 buttons, 4 shoulder buttons, motion in the case of PS3

Atari 2600 - 1 button, joystick

NES - 2 buttons, start select, d pad

How did Nintendo copy atari?

they made a video console? after em?

LMAO XD

That would make nintendo, sony, sega, microsoft and whatever the name of the companys that made turbografx-16 and neogeo, etc . copycats of Atari ?!?   =O

(just kidding BTW)

i m happy you get my point. :P

though he reply if u add something "innovating" isn't copying.

ohoh the ps3 was the first black home console this gen!