By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII is a MAJOR flop on the 360 - we need to talk about it

How can you say that the sales are poor of XIII it's only been out for a little more than a month, the LT is nowhere near and with appropriate price cuts they can bring in some more sales some £5 from the launching price and according to most fans it is the most abysmal FF game they have ever played. Not comparing it to VII would be a good start, I never got into FF but a friend of mine is like a fanatic, he got XIII on launch and he told me that the game was pretty crap - niche story, linear, not much RPG element left to it, and he liked the XII and X.

Word of mouth - chances are those who brought it have told their mates how crap the game was, it spread and the appeal died down, until the price hits sub 20 the sales will probably remain stale in comparison with other releases.

The history is written by the Victors.

Around the Network
Solid_Snake4RD said:
thelifatree said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
thelifatree said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
thelifatree said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
thelifatree said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
thelifatree said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
thelifatree said:
500 K =/= Flop FF TOTAL 1.3 MILL NA Most ever by a FF first month

While the legs will probably suck

no part of this was a flop

a big first first month doesn't mean anything,it the game sales drop dead after that.

and we are talking about Final Fanatasy,one of the few eite franchises out there.Comparing to that level,it was a flop not only on 360 but also on PS3

How is it a flop yet. It has the highest FF numbers month 1

month 2 hasn't happend yet. You can guess that the second month will flop, or trend, but you can't call it a flop yet.

First off, I highly doubt this is the highest first month sales for a Final Fantasy game, if you're referring to outside of Japan.  That would probably go to FFVIII or FFX.  We just don't have the numbers for those games outside of Japan.  However, both FFVIII and X smashed the first months sales of FFXIII by a longshot in Japan, and Americas sales weren't that much different by comparison (just about a million less).  With FFVIII taking the clear lead with 2.5m in the first week in Japan alone.  I remember FFX being the most anticipated and pre-ordered game for the PS2 upon its relelase as well.  Can't say the same about FFXIII now...

Second of all, the reason people are hesitant to think the game will continue to sell well is because FFXIII is on the systems notorious for having 'major' releases that are front loaded that have no legs.  Mostly because the HD consoles are the 'high end' consoles which have the smaller userbase and people usually buy games based on hype.

This isn't the days of the PSX or PS2 where Final Fantasy is riding on the success of being both one of the top 3 franchises AND on the most popular system.  Now it not only has competition, but also is on the HD systems.

Alright It was first week article released by SE I was mistaken, but I don't see how anyone could possibly consider FFXIII a flop unless they consider a Flop (Saleswise not gameplay wise)

from VGC

FFXII First 4 Weeks PS3 USA 1,049,440 Total JapanJP 2,193,153

FFXII First 4 Weeks PS3 Others 878085

Total 4,120,678

I believe Xbox 360 is overtracked by a lot by VGC but FFXIII still has more sales than FFXII ... So, it's idiotic to call it a flop, you could say it didn't reach the peak of sales like the last 2 first FF on new generation consoles 7 and 10.

FFXIII First 4 Weeks PS3 USA 884,264 Total Japan 1,850161

FFXIII First 4 Weeks PS3 Others 739,156

FFXIII First 4 Weeks Xbox USA 660,542

FFXIII First 4 Weeks Xbox Others 384,838
Total 4,518,961

Now I know FFXII is not up there with the high selling Franchises of 7,8,X. But it is for sure on Pace for IX (My beloved RPG my names after) and FFXII

don't compare with ff12,compare with ff10 and ff8 and overall sales of ff7,8,10.

ff12 basically sold badly cause it was released after ff13's announcement.ff13 noway near the first game on a new console ff sales

Compare it to FFIX which sold less than 12.  All I'm saying is the numbers are no more than say. MGS First game 6 million, MGS2 6, MGS4. 4.6 Does that make metal gear solid 4 a  flop. No. I'm not disagreeing that it didn't perform up to 7,8,10 standards.

Flop is the the Final Fantasy Movie Cost 150 million make 30. FFXIII made mucho money as did MGS4, which probably had similar budgets

FFIX sold less cause it launched near PS2 and FFX was already announced,s release.And why the hell are you comparing MGS which is a niche game and only few people buy it.Also MGS only sold around 1m less than its predecessors,thats not much difference.

I am not saying it is a flop compared to other games but according to FF series standards it is.

its like if HALO sold just 2m,it would be a flop cause previous halo's have sold alot better.Compare the game to its expections

You're definition of flop, I think is a little harsh, I think a better way to describe it iunderperformed =/= flop so are disagreement might just be on different definitions
A flop to me is like The Final Fantasy Movie Spirits Within (Gorgeous movies yes) where it cost 150 mil. and it made 30 mil netting -120 mil.

Squares Expectations They had 2 different sets at different times by wada, who is a skitzo

At one time he said his goal was to ship 6 million Plus which is realistic and likely going to happen
At another time 2 months later, he said it would outsell seven which is assanine and if that was really his expectation then it was a flop

Was Mario Sunshine a Flop to Mario 64, it sold 4 million less?

Metal Gear Solid 4 is not a niche game. It cost more money to develop Than every single Final Fantasy But Possibly FF13. Metal Gear Solid 4 with Substance Sold 6.4 Million Copies aMGS4 sold almost 2 million less. That would be the comparison.

FFXIII did not sell just 2 million FF sold 4.7 and is still going. So given that its already ahead of pace of IX and XII. Around 6 million is reasonable. Maybe even 5.5 if you want to be negative That's 2.5 million less that FFX about the same

So if you want to consider MGS4 a flop and FFXIII a flop that's fine.

If you're going to compare FFXIII to the 3 highest selling games in the game franchise 7,8,10, then yes it is a underperformed, If you are going to compare it to the last six games it will end up higher than FFIX and FFXII. If you're going to compare to the whole series... it will probably end up number 4 of 12

just because MGS's budet is high doesn't make it a wide audience game.Niche means it appeals to less people.And don't add substance sales cause MGS4 didn't have an 'existence'.Also MGS is constantly closing in on the 5m mark.

Also this gen,software sales are high,assasin's creed had 8m sales on both its games.I am expecting it to hit 5.5-6m but according to its expectation as all previous first FF games on a new console which have had big hype sold well,this should have too.

some more time on this site will make your predictions better

What you were expecting, doesn't mean anything, it just means it didn't meet your expectations

"Definition of flop: to be a complete failure; fail: Ex The play flopped dismally."You used the wrong word.

Your also ommitting 2 consoles the SNES and the NES. Anyone can mess around and make the data fit however they want including me or you.

i am comparing to FF series's high if you wanna comapre it with  games like splinter,killzone,its ur choice.

and by your means if halo sold 2m and made a profit,it would be a hit wouln't it.

Since you're icon is snake, I figured you didn't think metal gear solid 4 was a flop. Metal Gear Solid 4 is not niche. It is less niche in america than Final Fantasy and the numbers from Metal Gear Solid 2 sales decrease the same amount to Metal Gear Solid 4. As FFX numbers decrease to FFXIII beings MG2 and FFX sold over 6 million, and FFXIII and MGS2 has yet to sell 5 million. It's a viable comparison, and thus if one flopped so did the other. I think neither of those flopped

but by your definition both MGS4 and FFXIII flopped. And thats fine

But since you still do not understand or accept the definition of flop. You win the argument, and in return I leave you with these parting words

あなたがばかだと思います. :)

You know thelifatree, あなたが馬鹿だと思います。is an insult!! haha, only joking ^^

However, it should be alarming for SE that FFXIII shows a decline in interest for the FF series. I thought this game was supposed to revive the series from what "half of the FF fanbase" saw as "two huge disappointments (FFXI and FFXII)". As we can see by the sales, this will be the worst selling FF game debuting on it's generations platforms. Both FFVII and FFX outsold/will outsell it by a lot. The game had major hype and many saw it as the savior of the FF series. Also, after closely witnessing how the game sold in Japan (A LOT of copies returned in many stores. I mean A LOT. In late December - January I saw more used copies of FFXIII than any other game I have ever witnessed in game stores in Tokyo. People were returning this game like crazy over in Japan. In addition, it's legs have completely been cut of. I mean, it sold 895 copies in Japan this week. When only 1.9 million people out of 5 million console owners have bought the game, one should expect better sales than 895 copies in it's 17th week), I think there has been a lot of disappointed FFXIII buyers out there. I know they have The Best- versions of these games and that they sold a lot less than FFXIII overall, but MGS4 (96th week) sold 2044 copies, Demon's Souls (62nd week) sold 2474 copies and Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 (59th week) sold 2249 copies. That is not good for FF as a series, that a main game sees legs of 895 copies sold in it's 17th week in Japan. That means that out of all the thousands of new PS3 sold every week in Japan, almost no one buys FFXIII at all when they pick up a system...

I have never been a FF fanatic, but I was looking into getting this game. I have been trying to get into the FF series lately with PSP remakes and PS1/PS2 classics, and when me and my friend bought our PS3s, one of the games we were looking forward to was FFXIII. After following SE the last couple of years though and following FFXIII closely, I can't say that I want to buy this game at all. There is a lot of controversy surrounding the game and there has been cuts in this game, the biggest cut being the exploration in the game. I don't care for what reason, but cuts have been made. And the rumors surrounding these "cuts" may make it into the game through DLC are not making me want this game any more than I already do.

I would actually say that overall, FFXIII is a flop. Yeah, the game has sold a lot of copies, but people buy a lot of games this generation and there are a lot of people who just, you know, "jump the gun" and buy a game before they know if it's any good at all. Final Fantasy has the power to sell games on the brand name alone and this might make a lot of people "jump the gun". That's why we see many copies returned and awful legs in, especially Japan. Let's see how it's legs will be like, only then we can determine if the game is a "flop" or not.

edit: about many returned copies in Japan and horrible legs: yes I know Japan is famous for it's huge 2nd hand market, but still 895 copies in a game's 17th week in the HOMELAND of JRPGs is just horrible.

edit2: Oh, and OP is far away from funny... If this was anyone but Rol, let's say a normal forum member like myself with a low post count, they would be banned for a long, long, long time for flaming and trolling another member of the forum, etc, etc, etc no matter if it was a joke or not. Even if he wrote a "disclaimer" in the OP, the whole point of this thread is to get attention, to get other forum members riled up and to get some VG$ or whatever you guys collect... You are very inconsistent with your banning on this site. I mean, you ban people for speaking their mind with a little bit of so-called "hard-criticism", basically criticism at all against certain subjects (RROD, YLOD, Sony, 360 failure rates, Nintendo's problem with 3rd party/mature games, Nintendo, 360, MS, or whatever) or just the cold hard truth, while you let "elite trollers" like this keep luring people into flaming, making them get banned for it. I'm almost expecting to get banned for calling this out...

tjallern said:

You know thelifatree, あなたが馬鹿だと思います。is an insult!! haha, only joking ^^

However, it should be alarming for SE that FFXIII shows a decline in interest for the FF series. I thought this game was supposed to revive the series from what "half of the FF fanbase" saw as "two huge disappointments (FFXI and FFXII)". As we can see by the sales, this will be the worst selling FF game debuting on it's generations platforms. Both FFVII and FFX outsold/will outsell it by a lot. The game had major hype and many saw it as the savior of the FF series. Also, after closely witnessing how the game sold in Japan (A LOT of copies returned in many stores. I mean A LOT. In late December - January I saw more used copies of FFXIII than any other game I have ever witnessed in game stores in Tokyo. People were returning this game like crazy over in Japan. In addition, it's legs have completely been cut of. I mean, it sold 895 copies in Japan this week. When only 1.9 million people out of 5 million console owners have bought the game, one should expect better sales than 895 copies in it's 17th week), I think there has been a lot of disappointed FFXIII buyers out there. I know they have The Best- versions of these games and that they sold a lot less than FFXIII overall, but MGS4 (96th week) sold 2044 copies, Demon's Souls (62nd week) sold 2474 copies and Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 (59th week) sold 2249 copies. That is not good for FF as a series, that a main game sees legs of 895 copies sold in it's 17th week in Japan. That means that out of all the thousands of new PS3 sold every week in Japan, almost no one buys FFXIII at all when they pick up a system...

I have never been a FF fanatic, but I was looking into getting this game. I have been trying to get into the FF series lately with PSP remakes and PS1/PS2 classics, and when me and my friend bought our PS3s, one of the games we were looking forward to was FFXIII. After following SE the last couple of years though and following FFXIII closely, I can't say that I want to buy this game at all. There is a lot of controversy surrounding the game and there has been cuts in this game, the biggest cut being the exploration in the game. I don't care for what reason, but cuts have been made. And the rumors surrounding these "cuts" may make it into the game through DLC are not making me want this game any more than I already do.

I would actually say that overall, FFXIII is a flop. Yeah, the game has sold a lot of copies, but people buy a lot of games this generation and there are a lot of people who just, you know, "jump the gun" and buy a game before they know if it's any good at all. Final Fantasy has the power to sell games on the brand name alone and this might make a lot of people "jump the gun". That's why we see many copies returned and awful legs in, especially Japan. Let's see how it's legs will be like, only then we can determine if the game is a "flop" or not.

edit: about many returned copies in Japan and horrible legs: yes I know Japan is famous for it's huge 2nd hand market, but still 895 copies in a game's 17th week in the HOMELAND of JRPGs is just horrible.

edit2: Oh, and OP is far away from funny... If this was anyone but Rol, let's say a normal forum member like myself with a low post count, they would be banned for a long, long, long time for flaming and trolling another member of the forum, etc, etc, etc no matter if it was a joke or not. Even if he wrote a "disclaimer" in the OP, the whole point of this thread is to get attention, to get other forum members riled up and to get some VG$ or whatever you guys collect... You are very inconsistent with your banning on this site. I mean, you ban people for speaking their mind with a little bit of so-called "hard-criticism" or criticism at all against certain subjects (RROD, YLOD, Sony, Nintendo, 360, MS, or whatever) or just the cold hard truth (360 failure rates, Nintendo's problem with 3rd party, etc), while you let "elite trollers" like this keep luring people into flaming, making them get banned for it. I'm almost expecting to get banned for calling this out...

That is fine you views make sense. I love this game, But I know the fanbase... isn't in agreement like they were with 7 and 10.

FF8 is another game I loved. That was split not as much as 13, but it was the Sequal to FF7 so it sold a ton

FF11 doesn't count as it's online based and FF14 as well... because most people no thats not supposed to be the same experience

All I'm saying is that this wasn't a flop because it sold will and will sell within the FF parameters. Like I mean like movies like Star Wars Prequels They weren't very good but they sold like hell)

but what this does create is the possibility with the lukewarm reception, of SQUARE is running out of time before FF can be a guarenteed 5 million sale... which is bad because they need it to sell that money because the budgets are so high... for a Gorgeous 40 hour JRPG.

And if they made a FF and it sold like 2 million then or 1 million or some number where they lost money or something then it's a flop rather than underperforming.

Which could also explain, why square is trying to diversify themselfs from their 3 main franchises of JRPG's KH, DQ, FF. By buying eidos and getting money for games such as Deus Ex (HOOORAY) and Publishing things like Just Cause

the definition I put of a flop as A massive failure

Well the marketing campaign for FFXIII did not make the game look very manly. I'm sure all the frat boys wanted FFXIII after watching the "My hands" ad.

Times Banned: 12

Press----------------> <----------------Press

Around the Network
Stanislav.Ten said:

How can you say that the sales are poor of XIII it's only been out for a little more than a month, the LT is nowhere near and with appropriate price cuts they can bring in some more sales some £5 from the launching price and according to most fans it is the most abysmal FF game they have ever played. Not comparing it to VII would be a good start, I never got into FF but a friend of mine is like a fanatic, he got XIII on launch and he told me that the game was pretty crap - niche story, linear, not much RPG element left to it, and he liked the XII and X.

Word of mouth - chances are those who brought it have told their mates how crap the game was, it spread and the appeal died down, until the price hits sub 20 the sales will probably remain stale in comparison with other releases.

A LITTLE MORE TIME ON THIS SITE WILL MAKE YOU predict alot better

this is nothing but a flambait thread. You all fell for it. lol

God of War III has better graphics

thelifatree said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
thelifatree said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
thelifatree said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
thelifatree said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
thelifatree said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
thelifatree said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
thelifatree said:
500 K =/= Flop FF TOTAL 1.3 MILL NA Most ever by a FF first month

While the legs will probably suck

no part of this was a flop

a big first first month doesn't mean anything,it the game sales drop dead after that.

and we are talking about Final Fanatasy,one of the few eite franchises out there.Comparing to that level,it was a flop not only on 360 but also on PS3

How is it a flop yet. It has the highest FF numbers month 1

month 2 hasn't happend yet. You can guess that the second month will flop, or trend, but you can't call it a flop yet.

First off, I highly doubt this is the highest first month sales for a Final Fantasy game, if you're referring to outside of Japan.  That would probably go to FFVIII or FFX.  We just don't have the numbers for those games outside of Japan.  However, both FFVIII and X smashed the first months sales of FFXIII by a longshot in Japan, and Americas sales weren't that much different by comparison (just about a million less).  With FFVIII taking the clear lead with 2.5m in the first week in Japan alone.  I remember FFX being the most anticipated and pre-ordered game for the PS2 upon its relelase as well.  Can't say the same about FFXIII now...

Second of all, the reason people are hesitant to think the game will continue to sell well is because FFXIII is on the systems notorious for having 'major' releases that are front loaded that have no legs.  Mostly because the HD consoles are the 'high end' consoles which have the smaller userbase and people usually buy games based on hype.

This isn't the days of the PSX or PS2 where Final Fantasy is riding on the success of being both one of the top 3 franchises AND on the most popular system.  Now it not only has competition, but also is on the HD systems.

Alright It was first week article released by SE I was mistaken, but I don't see how anyone could possibly consider FFXIII a flop unless they consider a Flop (Saleswise not gameplay wise)

from VGC

FFXII First 4 Weeks PS3 USA 1,049,440 Total JapanJP 2,193,153

FFXII First 4 Weeks PS3 Others 878085

Total 4,120,678

I believe Xbox 360 is overtracked by a lot by VGC but FFXIII still has more sales than FFXII ... So, it's idiotic to call it a flop, you could say it didn't reach the peak of sales like the last 2 first FF on new generation consoles 7 and 10.

FFXIII First 4 Weeks PS3 USA 884,264 Total Japan 1,850161

FFXIII First 4 Weeks PS3 Others 739,156

FFXIII First 4 Weeks Xbox USA 660,542

FFXIII First 4 Weeks Xbox Others 384,838
Total 4,518,961

Now I know FFXII is not up there with the high selling Franchises of 7,8,X. But it is for sure on Pace for IX (My beloved RPG my names after) and FFXII

don't compare with ff12,compare with ff10 and ff8 and overall sales of ff7,8,10.

ff12 basically sold badly cause it was released after ff13's announcement.ff13 noway near the first game on a new console ff sales

Compare it to FFIX which sold less than 12.  All I'm saying is the numbers are no more than say. MGS First game 6 million, MGS2 6, MGS4. 4.6 Does that make metal gear solid 4 a  flop. No. I'm not disagreeing that it didn't perform up to 7,8,10 standards.

Flop is the the Final Fantasy Movie Cost 150 million make 30. FFXIII made mucho money as did MGS4, which probably had similar budgets

FFIX sold less cause it launched near PS2 and FFX was already announced,s release.And why the hell are you comparing MGS which is a niche game and only few people buy it.Also MGS only sold around 1m less than its predecessors,thats not much difference.

I am not saying it is a flop compared to other games but according to FF series standards it is.

its like if HALO sold just 2m,it would be a flop cause previous halo's have sold alot better.Compare the game to its expections

You're definition of flop, I think is a little harsh, I think a better way to describe it iunderperformed =/= flop so are disagreement might just be on different definitions
A flop to me is like The Final Fantasy Movie Spirits Within (Gorgeous movies yes) where it cost 150 mil. and it made 30 mil netting -120 mil.

Squares Expectations They had 2 different sets at different times by wada, who is a skitzo

At one time he said his goal was to ship 6 million Plus which is realistic and likely going to happen
At another time 2 months later, he said it would outsell seven which is assanine and if that was really his expectation then it was a flop

Was Mario Sunshine a Flop to Mario 64, it sold 4 million less?

Metal Gear Solid 4 is not a niche game. It cost more money to develop Than every single Final Fantasy But Possibly FF13. Metal Gear Solid 4 with Substance Sold 6.4 Million Copies aMGS4 sold almost 2 million less. That would be the comparison.

FFXIII did not sell just 2 million FF sold 4.7 and is still going. So given that its already ahead of pace of IX and XII. Around 6 million is reasonable. Maybe even 5.5 if you want to be negative That's 2.5 million less that FFX about the same

So if you want to consider MGS4 a flop and FFXIII a flop that's fine.

If you're going to compare FFXIII to the 3 highest selling games in the game franchise 7,8,10, then yes it is a underperformed, If you are going to compare it to the last six games it will end up higher than FFIX and FFXII. If you're going to compare to the whole series... it will probably end up number 4 of 12

just because MGS's budet is high doesn't make it a wide audience game.Niche means it appeals to less people.And don't add substance sales cause MGS4 didn't have an 'existence'.Also MGS is constantly closing in on the 5m mark.

Also this gen,software sales are high,assasin's creed had 8m sales on both its games.I am expecting it to hit 5.5-6m but according to its expectation as all previous first FF games on a new console which have had big hype sold well,this should have too.

some more time on this site will make your predictions better

What you were expecting, doesn't mean anything, it just means it didn't meet your expectations

"Definition of flop: to be a complete failure; fail: Ex The play flopped dismally."You used the wrong word.

Your also ommitting 2 consoles the SNES and the NES. Anyone can mess around and make the data fit however they want including me or you.

i am comparing to FF series's high if you wanna comapre it with  games like splinter,killzone,its ur choice.

and by your means if halo sold 2m and made a profit,it would be a hit wouln't it.

Since you're icon is snake, I figured you didn't think metal gear solid 4 was a flop. Metal Gear Solid 4 is not niche. It is less niche in america than Final Fantasy and the numbers from Metal Gear Solid 2 sales decrease the same amount to Metal Gear Solid 4. As FFX numbers decrease to FFXIII beings MG2 and FFX sold over 6 million, and FFXIII and MGS2 has yet to sell 5 million. It's a viable comparison, and thus if one flopped so did the other. I think neither of those flopped

but by your definition both MGS4 and FFXIII flopped. And thats fine

But since you still do not understand or accept the definition of flop. You win the argument, and in return I leave you with these parting words

あなたがばかだと思います. :)

i am talking of it being in context of  comparing it with FF series numbers and hype behind FF13.

anyways,i can see u are knew on this site and you will stop behaving in this way till you spend a couple of more months on it,everybody that comes on this site is the same way that you are behaving.

just one last question,do you think if franchises like Halo of Gran turismo only did 2m,they wouldn't be considered a flop?

stop sticking to the defintion,and try to understand what the other person is trying to say.its like a nerd who tops the class,knows everthing in the book and doesn't know anything about the concerned matter or other thing ouside his books.

well FF13 did start off okay, but it has no legs.

It is already way way behind Modern Warfare 2 and that was released in November last year lol