By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top 10 not to be missed games per Genre this Generation!

Third Person list added.

Around the Network

How come CoD Wii not listed along with the x360/ps3?

Galaki said:

I could not bring myself to list Reflex next to MW. For it scored in the 70's. MW scored 94. Big difference. I dont mind if it's like 5 or 6 points. But 20 is not acceptable for top 10 list. ( I assume you refer to Reflex. The Wii version of MW.

"I am not including PC as PC is a neverending generation and not relevant to any 1 generation"

I disagree. You could define a generation in gaming in terms of a time frame if the latest generation started when the 360 was released for example, then go by that.

Even if that doesn't grab you, you could define a generation in PC gaming in terms of the Win version, or even processor family or GfX series.

Besides, even if you're not including PC exclusives in the list what harm is it including whether or not a game is on the PC in the platforms?

Bloodnok said:
"I am not including PC as PC is a neverending generation and not relevant to any 1 generation"

I disagree. You could define a generation in gaming in terms of a time frame if the latest generation started when the 360 was released for example, then go by that.

Even if that doesn't grab you, you could define a generation in PC gaming in terms of the Win version, or even processor family or GfX series.

Besides, even if you're not including PC exclusives in the list what harm is it including whether or not a game is on the PC in the platforms?

Point noted. I will edit the OP to show any of the games available on PC. :)

Around the Network

So far so good. I have played the vast majority of games on the lists!

Only problem with doing it this way is that most games people already know about as they're high budget titles and well publicised. There might be some lower budget/smaller games that might not score as highly that might be worth mentioning. I know it's not a genre but maybe add a low budget/indie list as well?

selnor said:
Galaki said:

I could not bring myself to list Reflex next to MW. For it scored in the 70's. MW scored 94. Big difference. I dont mind if it's like 5 or 6 points. But 20 is not acceptable for top 10 list. ( I assume you refer to Reflex. The Wii version of MW.

I thought people said they were identical except for the revised control scheme, which supposedly made it better?

Oh wait, this list is based on meta scores?

Scoobes said:
So far so good. I have played the vast majority of games on the lists!

Only problem with doing it this way is that most games people already know about as they're high budget titles and well publicised. There might be some lower budget/smaller games that might not score as highly that might be worth mentioning. I know it's not a genre but maybe add a low budget/indie list as well?

Thats a good idea. Maybe at the bottom I'll add a Top 10 Low Budget list. I have plans for a Top 10 Online list ( Arcade/PSN/WiiWare ). :)

Yeah, I agree orange Box is mostly a shooter. I only mentioned Portal (as opposed to Orange box) because for me, when I read orange box it gets pronounced in my head as 'portal' :P

I also didn't initially realise that this list was created by you rather than copy/pasted from a wesbite - if I had realised, I woulda made the same point but perhaps been a bit more polite about it :P I would hesitate to call many game 'must plays' I would reserve the term for games that have such a phenomenal impact upon the gaming industry that to not play it is to not be able to appreciate other games as much. Mario 64 and Goldeneye spring to mind, FFVII and Wii Sports eagerly put their hands up, but I look them up and down several times, like a bouncer deciding whether it's worth calling the cops on the guy with the fake id

Good job. Takes some time and effort to put this stuff together so I appreciate you taking the time. And in particular congratulate you for taking on board some of the constructive observations from your previous top 10 lists.

You don't mention handhelds in the OP. Are handhelds specifically excluded or is it just that no handheld games have made it to the top 10 of the genres listed so far?

Is this a snapshot list or are you going to make it dynamic, adjusting the lists when new AAA+ (in terms of Metascore) games come out and push the current 10th game down the list? With equal scoring games being at the bottom of a dynamic list (FPS list) if a game comes along and scores above the current bottom equal games then there's not much choice but having that list go to 11, and then 12 in the case of the FPS list (thinking of Halo: Reach and CoD: MW3 both likely to be up there on Meta). Then when KZ3 comes out those current 3 8th= games will all drop off

As an aside (not necessarily a suggestion) it would be interesting to see whether Game Rankings (as a meta equivalent) would have a slightly different top 10. If not one or 2 different games perhaps games in a slightly different order.

I haven't played enough of those games to really voice an opinion on many, but Oblivion is one game I really didn't get into and I really like Fantasy RPGs, so I'll never understand why it got such a great Meta.

Happy to see Valkyria Chronicles there of course as my fav of the entire gen so far.

I really need to give Batman AA and Dead Space a go I think.

I loved RE2 and 3 and Code Veronica. But for some reason I haven't got a hankering for RE5. Maybe the mediocre movie adaptations have put me off.

I await the platforming list with interest.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix