By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who will dominate the next gen?

RageBot said:
Metallicube said:
Zipper said:

Let be honest here - the only reason the Wii is in the first place is the motion controllers, not a huge library of quality games like the PS2 had

This is a very shortsighted thing to say.. If it's only the "gimmick" of motion controllers that makes Wii a success, why then did the Sony Sixaxis fail so miserably? Why is the eyetoy such a niche product? Those are motion controllers are they not?

If motion controllers are the reason for the Wii's success, why then do its most successful games, NSMB Wii and Wii Fit/ Wii Fit Plus, not even use motion controls, or barely use them? Why does a game like Red Steel 2, that centers around motion controls, not perform well?

Pointing to the motion controls for the Wii's success is failing to see the root of the console's success. What makes the console successful is not the controls, but the controls working in tandem with the games, providing accessibility, and unique and fresh ways to play games. It's about appealing to non gamers and ex gamers, as shown by NSMB Wii and Wii Fit. Accessibility and new ways to play games is the key, not just motion controls. This is also why Nintendo is pushing the balance board, and the soon to be released vitality sensor, rather than just the Wiimote.

Consumers are not stupid. They clearly aren't just buying Wii in droves because the thing has motion contorls. There are obivously some games on the console that they find fun, or they wouldn't be investing all the money to purchase a console and games.

Because it was 600$ at launch.

Pepole really fool themselve if they think that all of the pepole buy the Wii because it has motion controls (or Nintendo 1st party), a lot of pepole simply buy the "coolest console", because they like to have what other pepole they know have.

Honestly now, do you really think that the Wii would've been that much of a success if the PS3 was priced at 300$ at launch (not to say that it wouldn't have been successful, but as successsful).

Now, we can't predict who will win next gen, we don't know ANYTHING about it.

Actually yeah, I do think the Wii would have been as successful if PS3 launched for $300, since PS3 targets laregely a different market and they wouldn't really take away sales from eachtother. I DO think the PS3 would have been much more successful, as in maybe neck in neck with Wii or slightly behind it. But I don't think it would have taken away from the Wii's sales. If anything, a cheaper launch PS3 would have taken the great majority of its sales from 360, but not Wii.

Around the Network

Nintendo - they have the money, the icons and now the fans again. And they'll have a powerful console in the future when the real HD war begins.

They will not pull a Sony next gen.

If Nintendo continues to produce the software that people want, then Nintendo will continue to finish first in this race.

it depends what support Nintendo gets from 3rd parties. the reason i say this is because this gen the motion controls initially helped the Wii sell like crazy.

ATM the only thing really selling are party games and Nintendo games. So to capture the gamers who call themselves hardcore lol, they will need to get some mature games from 3rd parties on their next console.

They will also need to come up with a MUCH better online experience in order to capture some of these 3rd party titles.

my bet is on Nintendo or Sony. Unless Microsoft can come up with a strategy for EUR.

biased OT, doesnt even deserve a proper answer

Around the Network
Metallicube said:
RageBot said:
Metallicube said:
Zipper said:

Let be honest here - the only reason the Wii is in the first place is the motion controllers, not a huge library of quality games like the PS2 had

This is a very shortsighted thing to say.. If it's only the "gimmick" of motion controllers that makes Wii a success, why then did the Sony Sixaxis fail so miserably? Why is the eyetoy such a niche product? Those are motion controllers are they not?

If motion controllers are the reason for the Wii's success, why then do its most successful games, NSMB Wii and Wii Fit/ Wii Fit Plus, not even use motion controls, or barely use them? Why does a game like Red Steel 2, that centers around motion controls, not perform well?

Pointing to the motion controls for the Wii's success is failing to see the root of the console's success. What makes the console successful is not the controls, but the controls working in tandem with the games, providing accessibility, and unique and fresh ways to play games. It's about appealing to non gamers and ex gamers, as shown by NSMB Wii and Wii Fit. Accessibility and new ways to play games is the key, not just motion controls. This is also why Nintendo is pushing the balance board, and the soon to be released vitality sensor, rather than just the Wiimote.

Consumers are not stupid. They clearly aren't just buying Wii in droves because the thing has motion contorls. There are obivously some games on the console that they find fun, or they wouldn't be investing all the money to purchase a console and games.

Because it was 600$ at launch.

Pepole really fool themselve if they think that all of the pepole buy the Wii because it has motion controls (or Nintendo 1st party), a lot of pepole simply buy the "coolest console", because they like to have what other pepole they know have.

Honestly now, do you really think that the Wii would've been that much of a success if the PS3 was priced at 300$ at launch (not to say that it wouldn't have been successful, but as successsful).

Now, we can't predict who will win next gen, we don't know ANYTHING about it.

Actually yeah, I do think the Wii would have been as successful if PS3 launched for $300, since PS3 targets laregely a different market and they wouldn't really take away sales from eachtother. I DO think the PS3 would have been much more successful, as in maybe neck in neck with Wii or slightly behind it. But I don't think it would have taken away from the Wii's sales. If anything, a cheaper launch PS3 would have taken the great majority of its sales from 360, but not Wii.

It's largely a different market, but it still as parts where it collides with the "hardcore" market.

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

nitendo by far, the only one not worried about tech or anything for that matter, just what ever prints money.

Sont if they launch a 299, well stocked console, will obliterate everything imo, but they will op for the new tech, innovation and shit, so nintendo will take next gen me thinks.

Nintendo

You forget that the PS3 is already at 300$ and still being pwned by the Wii. Not as much as before of course.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Dont forget Apple!