By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Can Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone 2, and FF XIII turn things around?

eugene said:
Those games are HOT! For sure. NO doubt. All will move significant units of the PS3. But are they enough to move the PS3 into the number 2 or even the number one position? Sony sure has a lot of hopes in those games.

No.

Around the Network

North America:

In my opinion Sony has already lost North America with the PS3 and will ride out the rest of this generation in third place. Titles like MGS4, FF13, and Killzone 2 won't be enough for them to turn the tide.

Japan:

Both MGS4 and FF13 should help the PS3 tremendously in Japan where the Wii could be vulnerable to the PS3 in the long term if the PS3 begins to have a strong library there. It's also not just big exclusives that will help the PS3, multiplatform titles like RE5 will have a much larger impact with the PS3 in Japan and help sell many more units (as opposed to North America and Europe where such multiplatform titles don't really push the PS3 any more than they do the 360).

Europe:

Sony has the advantage of their Playstation brand name being much stronger in Europe than Microsoft's Xbox brand which has caused Europe not to become a total rout for the PS3 like in North America. It's likely that the PS3 will end the generation in at least second place but it's not a given. If Microsoft is serious about focusing their attention and working hard on capturing marketshare in Europe then the PS3 may have a real fight on it's hands and MGS4, FF13, and Killzone 2 will be extremely important.

well first of I don't agree that those games are hot for sure... I'd say MGS is the only one we can be sure of it (and I don't like it, I don't like stealth games)... KZ 2 we have no idea of how good it will be... and even if the graphism are as good as they say it will be it still doesn't give us a hot game..; DOOM 3 had good graphics.. I still think the game suck.... (nothing new no story stupid AI, basically it was a DOOM 1 with good graphics not enough to make a good game)

FF13 same thing we don't know anything about it.. that brand name is slowing down since number 7 like it's quality....

but if you have to name the 3 system seller they have in hand I agree those are the most famous one with GT.....

now will it turn things around... against WII ??? no way in hell
against XB??? I highly doubt it... it never happened in the past... the problem they are facing is not only about people wanting a PS3 or not... it's also the support of the 3rd party... if they lose that (and it's likely to happen like happened to other consoles in the same situation) they are doomed... the power of XB even over WII it's that it's actually a console selling games.... I have 19 games on 360 I never had that many games on hand for any console beside game boy...
So in my mind and in a logical market law way the PS3 is already doomed... and what's needed is not good exclu to turn things around... it's a miracle they need... a new mario type of license...

while they will be big system sellers they need more then just those

Soriku said:
Number 2? No.

Number one? BIG no.

Will they help? YES.

A lot? YES.

you never know they have a shot to become no2,though no1 will be a big maybe for ps3 and small no

Around the Network
Heavenly_King said:
THOSE GAMES WILL TURN THE TIDE!!! 2008 will be a great year for SONY. Microsoft only have CrappyHuman for 2008 lol

what about fable,ninja gaiden 2 and alan wake

Diomedes1976 said:
Well ,right now and without those games appearing PS3 sales have multiplied by 3 in Europe ,by 192% in North America and it is outselling the Wii in Japan ....so I think the 40Gb and price cuts and some of the end year software as Ratchet ,Uncharted ,Assasins Creed ,Rock Band ,Guitar Hero III and COD 4 are already doing great things for the system .Next year with the cited games plus Little Big Planet ,White Knight Story ,Final Fantasy Versus XIII ,Devil May Cry 4 (will boost sales in Japan ),Resident Evil 5 (the same as DMC4 ) and Gran Turismo 5 ...plus the Home system ...all that should mean a great year for the PS3 .

sales have spiked do to the holidays approcing,also do you really think ps3 will continue to outsell wii in japan

Jandre02 said:
Things have already been turned around, but I think those games will definitely close the gap, and may lead to the PS3 getting to second by the end of next year.

Those are simply the best games there are.

SMG and SSBB say hi

eugene said:
Id say that Sony CAN pull a huge turn around only if they do the following.
1. Drop price around the time of these game releases
2. Bundle these games
3. 10 million dollar ad campaign with exclusive Mountain Dew drinks
4. midnight launch?
5, make a $120 special collectors edition

only 1 and 4 are likely to happen

eugene said:
Nintendo is lucky and smart that they make money off their units cause I can imagine alot of Wii going unused after the the joy of wii sports wore off. I predict the 360 will remain the king of software sales

360 might nly win in attach rate but overall will lose