By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Can Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone 2, and FF XIII turn things around?

Well then dont compare it to the 360! Compare it to the Wii! It got absolutely torn up by the wii and they lauched at about the same time. The way I see this console war is 27 million next gen console early adopters, chose a console that is not a Sony console. Thats HUGE!

Around the Network
Myahon said:
to little to late. if these are GREAT games they will be like the onslaught of awesome that was the last year of Dreamcast's life. Look at the numbers, catching up now is out of the question without nintendo and M$ collapsing and being killed under the piles of cash their best selling consoles have made them.

Microsoft made a pile of cash from their best selling consoles?  that's news to me...

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

arf I'm dieing laughing when I hear that those 3 games alone beat any line up ever... come on people.... first GT is not the best race car simulation on the market so fan of that shouldn't be more attracted by PS 3 than XB or PC.... MGS I admit that even if I couldn't care less about that game(same thing for splinter so it's not fanboyism) it will push console... no way it can turn the tendancy... NO WAY .....
Killzone 2 I'll believe it when i'll see it... but no way it will push units like a halo 3 did even if the game is really better...

now the exclusive 3rd party are frankly aimed at the japanese market which won't be the savior of PS for that generation so it's useless... and trust me if PS3 doesn't sell better soon they WILL lose exclu and XB WII will gain exclu from western 3rd parties

now I expect a better line up in 2008 for XB than thise year... and even if they don't have a game meeting MGS... over all the line up already looks more diverse and interesting on XB 360 and they didn't even start to talk about it.... MS right now has more bullets in there clip than Sony... simply because they have more money to back it up and are not bleeding as bad as Sony right now... I won't start to make a line up comparaison it has already be done.... without talking about XBL developement with episodic games that will totaly change the industry way of thinking and developing for console...

so in other words... I repeat beside a miracle independent from those 3 games, there is absolutely no sign that PS3 can catch up on any of the two console right now... MGS/GT is no way enough said to say best line up 2 games come on it's what I bought in 2 weeks on XB this month... one was alright AC the other awesome mass effect...

ok to finish I say it again... it never happened before I don't see why it would be different for PS3... especially since every brand on the market as had at least one bad generation... trust me for sony it will be PS3 no doubt about that...

over all the line up already looks more diverse and interesting on XB 360
endimion, you are JOKE. =))
about x360 titles nobody cares, except x360 owners and M$ folowers. =))

MGS, FF, GT are million sellers, so will be and KZ2 with LBP probably.
So, relax, and prepare for PS3 domination. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

ok 5 games... my dick to cut in 2008 you'll have more than 5 milion seller on XB :)

and PS3 domination... come on I'm the joke ???? there is more statistical (not market wise) chances that XB could catch up with WII in 2008 (I don't belive that one second either) than PS3 with XB... what ever happens.... so please cut the crap.... it's not being a fanboy or not.. it's just definitely not happening in 2008.... it's not possible what so ever...

now I'm sorry but I'll say it FF is a million sellers but in my book since the 7 it's going down almost title after title... and it's far to be the best RPG out there all genre mixed together... that license is purely living on brand name.... I'll say it FF is a piece of shit compare to many RPG out there now... what ever the support I'm not taking side here....

then KZ i'll say it again for the gazillion time... I'll believe it when I'll see it... it will probably be a nice graphically speaking game.... but nothing has been proved yet for the rest of the game... it will be a million seller if and only if it's a good title over the simple graphic part... which is yet to be proved to be that perfect too.... since PS2 emotion engine I highly doubt any videos from Sony showcases now...

GT.... looks really nice graphically... but as a simulation same thing it's over rated compare to what you have on the market especially games like GTR 2 on PC... and personally I never liked the AI on the previous titles...

LBP looks sweet, now being million selling potential is not sure.. for two reason the install base of PS3 owners and is that game really hyped... I mean of course here everyone knows it... but we are all into VG 24/7 or close.... is the casual gamer really aware and wanting that game ??? (i'm honestly asking here)

now MGS is the indisputable one in your list.... the only problem I see with that game is I don't like the genre... but I really do like the story... so usually I just go to my friend house and see him play so it looks like a movie lol.... and you have to realize that MGS has as many fans than people that don't care for the same reason I don't (that's true for any million seller)....

I hope all those games are uber great... that'd be cool for you (owners of PS3)... now will 5 games even multiply million sellers will be enough to change the tendency... I honestly don't believe it one second.... it will probably reduce the gap, but there is a an ocean between gaining even a couple million on the gap between XB and PS3 and consistently closing it...

and my problem with PS3 big titles you name it's when the fuck they gonna have a real potential million seller new IP... I mean they have a couple but not of the caliber of those... I mean FF 13... come on ok it's FF but at that rhythm we'll have a FF 40 before I turn 35 years old...

when will we see a bioshock, mass effect, even kameo, or other new good IP exclusive equivalent on PS3...(million seller or not just new and good would be enough to get me to buy a PS3)....

right now PS3 is living on brand name... how long will it last ??? they are on really dangerous curve right now... the sales number don't speak for the right reason, it could drop dramatically in the next quarter....

right now the titles I really want all plateform mixed together.. it's SMG, alan wake, fall out 3, haze, crysis, ninja gaiden, GTA, RE, too human, huxley, fable, halo story, star wars unleashed, fracture, and other unamed projector titles I didn't think of right now far over any of those 5 titles.... and honestly I Think among those title you have some that can out ranked the 5 you named with maybe the exception of MGS in term of quality.... now same thing with those title (beside the one already released) we'll have to wait and see if they live up to the expectation... but between the exclusives, the multi optimized for XB for some and the fact we don't have as much hype right now on them than on your 5 PS3 title.. I really do think XB barely known 2008 line up as more more overall potential than even 5 really really reallly good game on PS3.... lets put it that way 10 potentially 80% game ranking score games have more power IMO than 5 90% ones....

but just wait 1st 2008 quarter and we'll be able to compare the line up more accurately.... but right now 5 games even awesome don't seem to be enough IMO... I hope for you you'll have more than 5 because i'm sure you'll have more than 5 million seller on XB next year... and 3rd party we'll be looking at that.... I think there are something like 28 million sellers already on XB by the end of 2008 you'll have at least 35... and dev we'll ultimately be looking at that for their next exclu investment... they won't care if square will make money with an IP like FF... they'll care if they have the potential to do it with a new IP... right now the balance is definatelly going on XB side.. and that's the real downfall for PS3... like it was for GameCube and Dreamcast....

now may the best win... after all that's what we should look for... not a brand name....

Around the Network
darthdevidem said:
@myahon

The Ps3 is hsowing more potential than the Dreamcast ever did

a console doesn't outsell the wii in JAP for 2 weeks & a console doesn;t outsell the 360 CONTINUOUSLY in EU only to go & die the next year

WAHOOO... come on even WII has not catch up yet in other on the XB..... and still as long as they don't control the US market really come back in the race it won't be good for PS3 even with jap and EU.... WII will control japan and EU is a drop in the bucket and the major market UK is still far from being on PS3 side.... 

and anyway to be safe PS3 needs hundreds of thousands more sale than Xb a month on a continuous period to consitantly hope to come back... so far it's not happening.... either they close the  fast or at some point the market will slip through their hand... it's what happens to the 3rd one every time on almost any market of that type....  you can't live up on brand name indefinately with out being punished on the long run... 5 games on the long run is not enough... it won't close the gap and once again it's not attracting for 3rd parties thinking on a long run basis for big new IPs... and that's always been the problem for other consoles which failed in the past... 

talking about DC I can anme 5 awesome IP on the console did it save it or was enough... really not... look at project gotham, look at panzer dragoon orta, look at crazy taxi, look soul calibure, jet set radio,  virtua fighter, dino crysis, dead or alive, GTA 2, house of the dead 2, phantasy star, virtua tennis, shenmue, and that's just titles on top of my head.... and without the multi plat or the big games that were on PC too.. like POD, MDK or the load of good jap 2D fighting games.... I mean 5 gmes on PS3 look really poor to me compare to the 3 year line up of DC...