By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Can Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone 2, and FF XIII turn things around?

Id say that Sony CAN pull a huge turn around only if they do the following.
1. Drop price around the time of these game releases
2. Bundle these games
3. 10 million dollar ad campaign with exclusive Mountain Dew drinks
4. midnight launch?
5, make a $120 special collectors edition

Around the Network

They need to hire the Halo 3 marketing team

Sony will not turn it around. The 360 is synonymous with hardcore gaming. The Wii is a juggernaut. You can talk all you want about price cuts, but if the Wii is already making money don't you think Nintendo can play with the best of them. Guaranteed, the Wii will be the only system that will retail for $99 this generation. Can you see the sales that will generate?

Nintendo is lucky and smart that they make money off their units cause I can imagine alot of Wii going unused after the the joy of wii sports wore off. I predict the 360 will remain the king of software sales

Those games will not turn the tide around. They are great games, lots of people want to play it but I think the mainstream American customer has spoken and they like FPS better. Since the US is the biggest market when it comes to console sales based on all the numbers we see updated weekly here it is safe to say that Microsoft is here to dominate.

What are you looking at, nerd?
Around the Network

Well considering that the 360 sold more software even on the week of the launch of Mario Galaxy,also a week in which they sold 256k units of harware, I do think the 360 will continue to sell more software. This week was their best opportunity to sell the most software for a given week.

eugene said:
Well considering that the 360 sold more software even on the week of the launch of Mario Galaxy,also a week in which they sold 256k units of harware, I do think the 360 will continue to sell more software. This week was their best opportunity to sell the most software for a given week.

Do you think that the gap between the Wii and the 360 will remain as it is?  Don't you see that if trends continue the Wii will have a much larger install base?  Even if the 360 demographic purchases more games per user (they definitely do!) the fact that there are more Wii users will soon begin to tip the scale.  This week was not their only chance to outpace software sales.  And one more thing....doesn't the 360 brand have a budget series already?  

I personally don't think there's anything Sony can do to reach second place this gen. MGS4 will sell a lot of systems, and I mean a lot. But the problems Sony face come from the fact that they are just not providing enough of an incentive for the general public to spend more on their machine.

Also lets not forget that the 360 has many more games coming out next year. Just after the holiday season, expect an announcement for Gear of War 2. You know their working on it, be dumb for Microsoft not to put the bug out. News of this game alone will sell systems. Also Sony cant afford to strip down the PS3 anymore, if they do their investors are going to ****bricks. So many are saying that there's no games coming out the 360 next year.

I'm not going to drop any titles of games, Ill leave that to the fanboys, but I will tell you that that's just nonsense. Just the comparison of software sales alone, common sense will explain why Sony has lost so many exclusives. You see Microsoft is smart, instead of spending most of their advertising money on the system, they chose to spend more money actually selling the games. Heck if I were a third party I wouldn't want to be exclusive to the PS3, would YOU???

They should all improve Sony's sales, but probably won't let SONY dominate over the competition with them alone. The only game that have even remotely chance to let SONY get in a better position is FFXIII, but it have to be a really great game. All these will probably sell, although it's more a prediction with the pattern I seem to be observing in Japan than anything else.

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA

It will depend on how masterful Sony can market them when they do come out. If they do anything like they did with Ratchet, heavenly sword or uncharted, they may elese just quit the business