By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN: Apple iPad Review

greenmedic88 said:
Netyaroze said:
Iphone and Ipad for gaming is a fail imo.

its cool to have those emulators but without buttons they are useless.

I cant understand why Iphone and Ipad are treated like gaming devices. For looking videos its great maybe even typing an email is ok. But control games is shit without buttons. Honestly someone ever enjoyed playing a game (no point and click) without buttons.

I cant understand the people.

Depends on the market. If you don't understand the iPhone market, you don't really have a valid opinion of it.

I don't carry handheld game systems anywhere I go. They're toys, which is fine, but I don't need to have one on me (nor would I carry one with me) everywhere I go.

I do on the other hand always have my iPhone on me. And I do play games on it when I need to kill some time. Plenty of them are actually quite good with better offerings being developed and released on a daily basis. Controls for touch based games is all in game design. Some work better than others, some don't work at all (virtual joysticks in general) and some even work better than standard joypad/button interfaces.

I also have no handheld since the gameboy and I dont want one. And I also have always my Iphone with me. And I also played games on it to kill some time infact i have a lot games for it. 

Still the point stands actually playing with the Iphone is just good in some rare cases imo. I dont understand why Apple cant focus more on the controls and they would be a real DS and PSP competitor no matter what everyone else says gaming with the Iphone is in most cases not fun some games can be made in a good way but there are a lot of genres which require buttons and especially all Emulators need buttons. at the moment its just more like: Look what I have on my Iphone but its not about the gaming itself Apple should do something about it and I would actually use my Iphone for gaming. 

I understand what the appeal of Iphone games is  but I dont understand why Apple wont improve the gaming abilites of their Iphone and be a real alternative to PSP and DS.

I wouldnt  buy a PSP or DS but I have always my Iphone with me (lately not so much). I just want a mix out of those devices so portable gaming would actually play a role for me.

Around the Network
Netyaroze said:
greenmedic88 said:
Netyaroze said:

I cant understand why Iphone and Ipad are treated like gaming devices. For looking videos its great maybe even typing an email is ok. But control games is shit without buttons. Honestly someone ever enjoyed playing a game (no point and click) without buttons.

Depends on the market. If you don't understand the iPhone market, you don't really have a valid opinion of it.

I don't carry handheld game systems anywhere I go. They're toys, which is fine, but I don't need to have one on me (nor would I carry one with me) everywhere I go.

I do on the other hand always have my iPhone on me. And I do play games on it when I need to kill some time. Plenty of them are actually quite good with better offerings being developed and released on a daily basis. Controls for touch based games is all in game design. Some work better than others, some don't work at all (virtual joysticks in general) and some even work better than standard joypad/button interfaces.

I also have no handheld since the gameboy and I dont want one. And I also have always my Iphone with me. And I also played games on it to kill some time infact i have a lot games for it. 

Still the point stands actually playing with the Iphone is just good in some rare cases imo. I dont understand why Apple cant focus more on the controls and they would be a real DS and PSP competitor no matter what everyone else says gaming with the Iphone is in most cases not fun some games can be made in a good way but there are a lot of genres which require buttons and especially all Emulators need buttons. at the moment its just more like: Look what I have on my Iphone but its not about the gaming itself Apple should do something about it and I would actually use my Iphone for gaming. 

I understand what the appeal of Iphone games is  but I dont understand why Apple wont improve the gaming abilites of their Iphone and be a real alternative to PSP and DS.

I wouldnt  buy a PSP or DS but I have always my Iphone with me (lately not so much). I just want a mix out of those devices so portable gaming would actually play a role for me.

Probably because it is meant to be a phone first, gaming machine second (or third, or fourth etc). Adding buttons/joysticks would make it look less fashionable and also more difficult to carry out. As it is right now, it is nice and small and doesn't have joysticks etc sticking out of it.

Apple are probably more interested in conquering the market they have just entered, than entering one they have no experience in (that's not to say they won't go for it eventually). Also, Apple is probably more than happy selling app-like games to people, as long as they are being bought.

NYANKS said:
I hope there was a point to this "progress." How does this improve our lives? Isn't a laptop/telephone combo more sensible?

I tried one today at the office.. And I was sceptical cause I (well about everyone at the office) has an iphone.. and we were sitting on our big lounge couch and then it hit us.. f*ck yeah we're surfing the web, watching videos in the most awesome way ever... relaxed

Sure it's overpriced, it hasn't got all the functions we want but just to sit back relax and checking your mail, surfing the web, watching some movies, reading some stuff.. it's really different than a laptop on your legs.. or using your smaller iPhone.. it's about doing that stuff the relaxed way... it intergrates the computer even more into our lives then it already has.. it sounds stupid but it's freking briljant what Apple has done.. Most of us are "hardcore"gamers so we demand more but for millions of people this is a computer.. they don't need cutting edge games, designing stuff in photoshop maya etc.. they want to listen to music, watch some video & photo's, surf the web, acces facebook, play a game once in a while, read a book, and send an email.. and now you can do that from your couch, kitchen, in bed or from the toilet with one hand holding the device and the other operating it.. 

ps: don't try to use a netbook on the toilet.. thats doesn't work.. I should know.. >_>

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

GreyianStorm said:
Netyaroze said:
greenmedic88 said:
Netyaroze said:

Probably because it is meant to be a phone first, gaming machine second (or third, or fourth etc). Adding buttons/joysticks would make it look less fashionable and also more difficult to carry out. As it is right now, it is nice and small and doesn't have joysticks etc sticking out of it.

Apple are probably more interested in conquering the market they have just entered, than entering one they have no experience in (that's not to say they won't go for it eventually). Also, Apple is probably more than happy selling app-like games to people, as long as they are being bought.

I don't want buttons and a joypad/analog sticks on my phone anymore than I'd want a mini-Chiclet keypad on my iPhone. Nokia N-Gage anyone?

The interesting thing about Apple's approach to game support is that they're not actively developing anything in house. They simply provide the platform and the SDK/tool set for developers to "build whatever they want" and provide an outlet for them to sell it.

greenmedic88 said:
GreyianStorm said:
Netyaroze said:
greenmedic88 said:
Netyaroze said:

I don't want buttons and a joypad/analog sticks on my phone anymore than I'd want a mini-Chiclet keypad on my iPhone. Nokia N-Gage anyone?

The interesting thing about Apple's approach to game support is that they're not actively developing anything in house. They simply provide the platform and the SDK/tool set for developers to "build whatever they want" and provide an outlet for them to sell it.

Exactly.

I don't agree with them being considering gaming devices, because that's not what they primarily are. Just because they can game, doesn't mean that is what they were designed for. It's an added bonus. The iPhone is primarily a phone, and it should stay that way.

If people want a handheld gaming console so badly, there are already 2 on the market. If people want an Apple handheld gaming device, you'll have to settle for the next best thing. But that is what it is, not a gaming console. People who complain about the iPhone being a bad gaming console, would probably also complain that milk from a goat isn't as good as milk from a cow.

Around the Network
GreyianStorm said:
Netyaroze said:
greenmedic88 said:
Netyaroze said:

Yes I do know thats a problem but lets begin with the phone thing:

it was planned as a Phone (probably as a Multimedia Device) but it has a much bigger potential then the other apple products, Someone else will come and make the perfect mobile device when apple its not doing. Writing is fairly good. The only problem is gaming control and the Iphone could be perfect but how to implement all those buttons without making the Iphone ugly ? 

I have thought about that long ago and I think it would work. Designers could come up with even better ideas though. 

But first why no shoulder buttons that could be done without a problem. 2 shoulder buttons similar to the volume button on the side with slightly bigger dimensions and a better pressure point  two of those shoulder buttons would equal 4 buttons. And they could be implemented without altering the design. And best nobody would notice them. And then one small digital pad. it would be basically just look like the home button but with 4-6 different pressure points the iphone would look exactly the same except the home button would be slightly bigger. Maybe they could make a analog stick which would look exactly like the home button just with a bigger gap between the housing and the button. There are plenty of methods.

This methods would be perfect and gaming would actually be fun. 

@above:

or apple could make a shell gamers can buy..

wadayouknow.. they patented it:
http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2010/04/whoa-apple-reveals-amazing-gaming-accessories-in-the-works.html

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Damnyouall said:

iPad = iFail

EDIT:

"Fairly awkard to hold and straining after prolonged use."

"lack of Flash support, app multitasking, and a built-in camera"

"Apple is simply asking too much for a first-gen device"

And yet they award it an 8 out of 10 review score.

a 2006 smartphone can do all those with easy in 2010 , but lets face it, it's giant turd with make up.

My 350 dollar netbook is like an ipad that has much more functionality, but doesn't have touchscreen.....it has Windows though.

The biggest difference is, I can easily create content on my netbook, "like this post, or tools to combat malware, ect" instead of simply consume content.

I don't like the slovenly direction the ipad is taking us.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

The official site (http://www.apple.com/ipad/) calls it this:

What a stupid way to advertise a product. They're actually calling it magical and then bragging about the $500 price that I will never ever pay for a product that doesn't multi-task.