By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN: Apple iPad Review

IGN's Ratings for iPad
Rating Description  
out of 10  
9.0 Performance
The new A4 processor handles rich, high resolution graphics with ease, and the touchscreen is incredibly responsive.
8.0 Build Quality
Apple has nearly perfected their unibody design methods with the iPad, but the screen has a less-than-ideal frame and is prone to collecting dirt and smudges.
8.0 Features
The iPad has a wide range of functions out of the box, and they continue to expand as more third-party developers continue to create new apps, but the hardware is still limited in some regards, namely with its lack of Flash support, app multitasking, and a built-in camera.
9.0 Ease of Use
A unique experience that requires a brief acclimation period, but otherwise is extremely easy to use.
6.0 Value
Starting at $499, Apple is simply asking too much for a first-gen device.
7.0 Comfort
Fairly awkard to hold and straining after prolonged use.
8.0 OVERALL
(out of 10)

Not to bad

Around the Network

I hope there was a point to this "progress." How does this improve our lives? Isn't a laptop/telephone combo more sensible?

iPad = iFail

EDIT:

"Fairly awkard to hold and straining after prolonged use."

"lack of Flash support, app multitasking, and a built-in camera"

"Apple is simply asking too much for a first-gen device"

And yet they award it an 8 out of 10 review score.

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

good review, I am glad this product is generating jealousy and getting on people's nerves.

9 for Performance???

Yeah, if you only have to do 1 programs at a time (and without Flash), my netbook will be blazing too.

I wouldn't give it a 5.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network
sad.man.loves.vgc said:
good review, I am glad this product is generating jealousy and getting on people's nerves.

How can you prove it? Not everyone is a fan of fruits, especially overpriced ones. :)

NYANKS said:
I hope there was a point to this "progress." How does this improve our lives? Isn't a laptop/telephone combo more sensible?

You can run SNES emulators on it.

What a world we live in.

Iphone and Ipad for gaming is a fail imo.

its cool to have those emulators but without buttons they are useless.

I cant understand why Iphone and Ipad are treated like gaming devices. For looking videos its great maybe even typing an email is ok. But control games is shit without buttons. Honestly someone ever enjoyed playing a game (no point and click) without buttons.

I cant understand the people.

Room for improvement, but the current implementation is solid enough to be the first commercially successful tablet PC.

No small feat considering gurus have been saying (including Bill Gates) that tablets were the future for general purpose use for the last ten or so years and yet no hardware manufacturer has been able to successfully design and market such a device.

Netyaroze said:
Iphone and Ipad for gaming is a fail imo.

its cool to have those emulators but without buttons they are useless.

I cant understand why Iphone and Ipad are treated like gaming devices. For looking videos its great maybe even typing an email is ok. But control games is shit without buttons. Honestly someone ever enjoyed playing a game (no point and click) without buttons.

I cant understand the people.

Depends on the market. If you don't understand the iPhone market, you don't really have a valid opinion of it.

I don't carry handheld game systems anywhere I go. They're toys, which is fine, but I don't need to have one on me (nor would I carry one with me) everywhere I go.

I do on the other hand always have my iPhone on me. And I do play games on it when I need to kill some time. Plenty of them are actually quite good with better offerings being developed and released on a daily basis. Controls for touch based games is all in game design. Some work better than others, some don't work at all (virtual joysticks in general) and some even work better than standard joypad/button interfaces.