By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii Fit in Japan - Hit or Miss?

amazon.jp has it sold out now:
stating:
Availability: Usually ships within 1 to 3 weeks. Ships from and sold by Amazon.co.jp. Gift-wrap available.

so yeah I hit seeing the queues shops had also.
And many people seem to have bought a wii/second wii with it.

Around the Network

hit

great hit...

We are wii...

hanafuda said:

Guitar Hero is innovative?

Guitar Hero is a game?

Please, state your reasons.

As for Guitar Hero missing the mark, there are many reasons, but for now, the primary one will do.

1) WiiScales©

From the consumer point of view:

Only Nintendo offer a control scheme whereby you have to buy two separate items just to have a complete controller. That's right, the 'Mote and the 'Chuck. Now, lots of Wii owners have done this, and have done it several times so that more than one person can play at the same time.

Now, in order to play Nintendo's next big thing, Guitar Hero, guess what? That's right, you have to buy some more peripherals.

Not only do you have to buy it, but you have to put it somewhere.

How do several people enjoy Guitar Hero? Do you take it in turns to jump on the guitar?

Also, what do you do with it once you are bored of Guitar Hero? It's not like you can use it for anything else. What do you do with your investment?

From the retailer point of view:

Anyone that works in retail knows that space for stock is a concern. Anyone that knows Japanese game retailers knows that the vast majority of them are small shops.

For the space one unit of Guitar Hero takes you could stock about 20 standard sized games.

Now, game retailers aren't doing it for charity. The profit on one unit of Guitar Hero isn't going to be much different from the profit on one unit of, say, Mario Galaxy. Now, given the choice between selling 20 copies of Mario Galaxy, and 1 unit of Guitar Hero, which do you think they are going to opt for?

Hm... You're right. Guitar Hero is going to flop 

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

It will be a hit.

Japan has never been huge on Mario. SMG's launch wasn't far off of other big Mario launches in the past there -- SM64 and Sunshine, for example.  People comparing it to SMG either like to make comparisons that don't make any sense or know nothing about the market.

Wii Fit will probably 750k by the end of CY07 and be well upwards of 2 million by the end of CY08.

Around the Network
stof said:

Hm... You're right. Guitar Hero is going to flop 

Ha ha.

Guitar Hero II and Drum Maniac 2
Konami19,819

Ha ha.

PSN - hanafuda

TheBigFatJ said:
It will be a hit.

Japan has never been huge on Mario. SMG's launch wasn't far off of other big Mario launches in the past there -- SM64 and Sunshine, for example.  People comparing it to SMG either like to make comparisons that don't make any sense or know nothing about the market.

Wii Fit will probably 750k by the end of CY07 and be well upwards of 2 million by the end of CY08.

I think you're lowballing it, if my prediction of a whole family of Wii Fit games using the board come to pass, then I could see Wii fit bumping up against 15-20 million by the end of next year

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

One word: HIT

SSBB: 1977-0005-2980 (JOEY) MKWii: 4382-2877-5902 (Joeykanga)
Wii:4027-0084-9432-1532             PM me if you add me.
Tag courtesy of fkusumot: Joeykanga - "Just post something once, don't ruin the thread"

can the crow eating start? looks like it was quite well received in Japan.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Faxanadu said:
can the crow eating start? looks like it was quite well received in Japan.
We don't really know that yet.  All we have is evidence from a few shops.  It could turn out like when PS3 US price drop occurred and all the ps3 fans were going on about how it was number 1 on amazon sold out here, sold out there.  Then NPD results came out and it didn't even outsell 360, let alone Wii, let alone having the 1,000,000% increase in sales we were led to believe had occurred.