By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Kojima: Console will be dead “in the near future”

Rhonin the wizard said:

Haven't we heard that credit cards would replace cash?

Or that videophones would replace telephones?

Or mobile phones would destroy handhelds?

Or that the NES is a fad and video games would only exist on computers?

Did any of these happen? No.

Consoles will continue to exist for a long time.

The credit card replacing cash, and mobile phones destroying handhelds are already happening.

The videophones bit I never understood much of it's reasoning considering you normally only need to talk/listen to communicate. "videophoning" is more of an extra feature of phones, rather than a replacement (mobile phones already allow you to videophone anyway).

PC gaming was but a fraction of console gaming in the 80's. Console gaming is older than PC gaming too. PC gaming has gained ground over consoles since then, and now consoles look more and more like PCs.

Around the Network
nightsurge said:
By "in the near future" I think he means within the next 30-50 years, which by then he may be right. Within the next 10-20 years I see consoles and handhelds coexisting until the technology exists to where a handheld can act as a console (output to TV in HD, support controllers connecting to it) at home while still being a handheld on the go.

I was gonna say that.

I can see that happening, considering every console this generation is selling pretty great and software sales are breaking records. Perhaps it seems everyone plays hand held games in Japan, but most of us don't care for that.

He should stick to making movies.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Gilgamesh said:

This is pretty obvious, I see consoles being gone after the next gen. It's obvious portable is the future, but it's not like it'll be something like portable gaming today, it'll likely have wires to plug into your tv to get the full HD experience and then if you want to continue gaming on the go you can unplug it and play it wherever you want. 

It'd be so much more convenient and probably much more cheaper.

It's definitely the future.

More or less.

You will still be able to play games on your TV and your portable, it'll just be the same game for both.

I don't like him much.

Around the Network

Cmon Sony! Let's see some Playstation Shades!!!

Words Of Wisdom said:
Gilgamesh said:

This is pretty obvious, I see consoles being gone after the next gen. It's obvious portable is the future, but it's not like it'll be something like portable gaming today, it'll likely have wires to plug into your tv to get the full HD experience and then if you want to continue gaming on the go you can unplug it and play it wherever you want. 

More or less.

You will still be able to play games on your TV and your portable, it'll just be the same game for both.

And the same player, instead of having two video game systems (portable, console) you'll have 1 that does both.

Gilgamesh said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Gilgamesh said:

More or less.

And the same player, instead of having two video game systems (portable, console) you'll have 1 that does both.

Well it would be nice if portable devices became powerful enough to play console platform software (current leading edge; not a PSP that plays last gen PS2 games at reduced resolution). 

Technically, a gaming laptop is such a device, but it still carries all the downsides of PC gaming with it in addition to costing more for lower performance.

If anything, consoles will continue to exist as gaming platforms well into the future as inexpensive/cheap means of playing games with no hassle as long as it remains a profitable business to develop and maintain a proprietary hardware/software platform.

RolStoppable said:
If Nintendo can't be stopped, then consoles as a whole must become obsolete. Seems like a new trend.

as far as i'm concerned, the 3ds will be the ultimate console, making all others obsolete. Nintendo is cannibalizing itself.

Gilgamesh said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Gilgamesh said:

More or less.

I wouldn't go that far.

There's value in single piece software because you can sell to two markets (console gamers and handheld gamers).  However, by moving from a console + handheld package to a single package system you're losing revenue.  All those people who own Wii + DS or PS3 + PSP are now providing less hardware revenue and, since their gaming budgets haven't suddenly increased (outside of the amount not spent on hardware), it's likely you won't be making that money up in software. 

If I can sell a Wii to you and a 3DS to you instead of just one then I'll do that because it makes me more money.  Combine them at a console/handheld price and you lose revenue.  Combine them at a combined price and you lose customers due cost of entry which then becomes loss of revenue.

Oddly enough, I can see Sony doing this far easier than Nintendo as they're already willing to forgo some hardware revenue for a higher software profit margin.