By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Are macs really better then pc's?

Plaupius said:

@MikeB

Interesting video, thanks for the link! It makes me wonder what Commodore did wrong that caused Amiga to ultimately fail in the market? Was it the same thing that also slowed Macs, namely Microsoft and IBM and the clone PCs that closed system providers couldn't compete against?

That's just it, the Amiga division was profitable and in huge demand when C= went out of business.

When C= bought Amiga Corp they had to do costly R&D. C= managers lacked the long term vision just like IBM and Apple at the time. C= was a PC clone manufacturer, for this they had to do no R&D at all. From an executives perspective just using standard parts and having cheap MSDOS on there was an easy and low risk route. They did not realize the potential they had with this true multi-media system.

Amiga developers added easter eggs in the Amiga operating systems stating things like: We make the Amiga, C= killed it!.

One problem was there were dozens of PC clone makers, all advertising MSDOS platforms, C= execs felt they had to compete here and advertised their brand of PCs. The Amiga division got too little advertising and resources.

Then after huge investments, C='s PC division started to report major losses. The losses were so extreme, the future was very bleak. The managers realized their mistake and dropped the PC division. As a last effort they put everything on the Amiga, even our country's top basketball team were instructed to replace their C= shirts for Amiga shirts.

C= would release an Amiga based gaming system called the CD32 which could also run CDTV titles. It sold out in Europe, but the huge amount of units built for the US launch got blocked due to patent infridgement allegations. That was the end of Commodore and they nearly took Amiga with them into their grave. Many lawsuits, hardships, different owners, etc followed to the point we are today.

In your opinion, if Amiga had become the biggest platform, how easy it would have been to create viruses that spread over the internet like we saw with Windows 95 through XP?

In the 80s you had virus checkers running in the background if you used unknown software. Actually the Amiga was the first home PC to use them, as it actually multitasks.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
I've never owned a Mac in my life so I may not be able to answer. I will say this however; I've never ever been tempted to move away from PC, its simply brilliant and I don't have to deal with Apple at all!

Seconded.

Besides the iPhone I think everything Apple ever built is overpriced crap. At least the iPhone is only overpriced...

You can't look at a Mac from the same perspective you look at a Windows computer. And you definitely can't compare them 1:1. Going by the comments in this thread I guess a lot of people haven't even used a Mac because most Macs aren't bought because of performance (besides the Mac Pro obviously...)

Why are so many people acting like the only thing that matters is the specs of your system? Just look at the iMac for instance: Beautiful screen, fast computer, stylish and overall a very nice piece of hardware. Why shouldn't you buy it for the price they charge?

Even more important: Macs are simple and user friendly. The iPhone is such a great device because it is easy to use, user friendly and stylish and does its job very well. The iPhone was designed to make smartphones easier! And it did. And the only reason why it seems "outdated" right now is because the iPhone is usually updated in June. In two months there'll be a new one and it won't look outdated anymore. And it is very important for a smartphone to be portable and easy to use.

It really bothers me how people on gaming forums seem to have way different values than the rest of the world. Why is this?

Another example is the Macbook Pro: It has an awesome battery, a great screen, looks gorgeous, has cool software already built in and is a very robust piece of hardware. Oh and the magnetic charger is awesome Yes, that's what people pay for and that's what most people want.

You can't just do a hardware comparism and say "Windows is clearly better for the same price!" because Mac users don't buy their products because of pure performance. It's the reason some people still say things like "I don't get why the Wii is so successful!"

That's not to say Macs are better! But it depends on your values and for those people who have different values than most people here Macs are clearly worth a purchase. People aren't dumb. They aren't fooled by "evil Apple" and would buy something else if they learned more about it. Most people are very well aware of what they buy. "Casual gamers" are aware of it and Mac users are aware of it, too!

UncleScrooge said:
You can't look at a Mac from the same perspective you look at a Windows computer. And you definitely can't compare them 1:1. Going by the comments in this thread I guess a lot of people haven't even used a Mac because most Macs aren't bought because of performance (besides the Mac Pro obviously...)

Why are so many people acting like the only thing that matters is the specs of your system? Just look at the iMac for instance: Beautiful screen, fast computer, stylish and overall a very nice piece of hardware. Why shouldn't you buy it for the price they charge?

Even more important: Macs are simple and user friendly. The iPhone is such a great device because it is easy to use, user friendly and stylish and does its job very well. The iPhone was designed to make smartphones easier! And it did. And the only reason why it seems "outdated" right now is because the iPhone is usually updated in June. In two months there'll be a new one and it won't look outdated anymore. And it is very important for a smartphone to be portable and easy to use.

It really bothers me how people on gaming forums seem to have way different values than the rest of the world. Why is this?

Another example is the Macbook Pro: It has an awesome battery, a great screen, looks gorgeous, has cool software already built in and is a very robust piece of hardware. Oh and the magnetic charger is awesome Yes, that's what people pay for and that's what most people want.

You can't just do a hardware comparism and say "Windows is clearly better for the same price!" because Mac users don't buy their products because of pure performance. It's the reason some people still say things like "I don't get why the Wii is so successful!"

That's not to say Macs are better! But it depends on your values and for those people who have different values than most people here Macs are clearly worth a purchase. People aren't dumb. They aren't fooled by "evil Apple" and would buy something else if they learned more about it. Most people are very well aware of what they buy. "Casual gamers" are aware of it and Mac users are aware of it, too!

This is something I wish more people would understand. Not everybody has the same values as you, people are different. Though, to be honest, featurewise the iPhone has always been behind the cutting edge, not riding it. But the user experience it offers is still second to none even though the Nexus One comes close and in certain areas even exceeds it.

No. Mac PCs are a piece of shit. When it comes to price/performance, the Macs fail worse than an illiterate redneck in an advanced Literature course.

Macs are for people who don't have the capacity to learn basics of computing, i.e. older people and children, and that's about it.

I once spend about a week and a half exclusively on a Mac. THe whole "it just works" schtick is so absolutely false. It also has annoying defaults, like the jumping dock icons, that need to be fixed. It also had no less problems than when I was using Windows. All in all, you are pissing away your money for a product that's crap compared to Windows. Since everything is basically the same it falls down to functionality and nothing beats Windows and the amount of software it handles.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network
UncleScrooge said:

How can you say specs don't matter and then say the iMac is a fast computer? Specs also have to do with price so while the iMac might be stylish, you can build a similarly (or better) specced tower for the same price. However, their IPS monitors are nice and would be tough to cheaply beat. I know people choose it because they think it's easier or fits them, but as a person who uses both environments and would need power (*edit* and in a discussion mainly talking about price vs performance), I'd rather have the option of building my tower and going through all the specs.

Anyway, I have to use Macs for graphic design and video production purposes through my major at the university and where I currently work. They're nice and I'm comfortable in a Mac environment, but I have little interest to get a Mac for myself and would rather do the same things on a nice tower that I put together myself. It's a shame that Final Cut Pro is only available on Macs, but I'm also familiar with Premiere.

UncleScrooge said:

Considering Apple's market share, the majority of the rest of the world either doesn't want a mac or cannot afford one.

I'd skip the second point since sometimes something at a premium price really is worth it and what you pay for, but this thread is about price/performance comparison.

vlad321 said:

No. Mac PCs are a piece of shit. When it comes to price/performance, the Macs fail worse than an illiterate redneck in an advanced Literature course.

Macs are for people who don't have the capacity to learn basics of computing, i.e. older people and children, and that's about it.

I once spend about a week and a half exclusively on a Mac. THe whole "it just works" schtick is so absolutely false. It also has annoying defaults, like the jumping dock icons, that need to be fixed. It also had no less problems than when I was using Windows. All in all, you are pissing away your money for a product that's crap compared to Windows. Since everything is basically the same it falls down to functionality and nothing beats Windows and the amount of software it handles.

I probably shouldn't bother with you, but that's just insulting. I'm a software developer, I have both the capacity to learn more than the basics of computing and a track record of doing that. And I use Macs. So your statement is just pure and utter garbage.

Destroyer_of_knights said:
lol, typical apple-tards.

All apple computer these days use your typical PC hardware, nothing is custom anymore, but hey if you wanna believe in a lie, then go right ahead, it's your own decision anyways XD

This.

Wii/PC/DS Lite/PSP-2000 owner, shameless Nintendo and AMD fanboy.

My comp, as shown to the right (click for fullsize pic)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Video Card: XFX 1 GB Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 GB A-Data DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Primary Storage: OCZ Vertex 120 GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF-932
Extra Storage: WD Caviar Black 640 GB,
WD Caviar Black 750 GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Display: Triple ASUS 25.5" 1920x1200 monitors
Sound: HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card,
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Input: Logitech G5 mouse,
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard
Wii Friend Code: 2772 8804 2626 5138 Steam: jefforange89

there's nothing a Mac can do that a PC can't do better. MAC = overpriced PC, these days anyway.