By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - could a component cable deliver an HD signal?

I've read the other day it is technically possible to have analog signal up to 1080p.

Is it possible?

Around the Network

Yes of course the TV has to support it though.

HD covers 720p, so of course component cables can do it anyway.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

kowenicki said:
btw. I had my 360 showing 1080p over component before I replaced it with hdmi, samsung tv's allow this... or used to.

at least the high-end models still do. One of my HDMI cables broke and because I didn't want to switch everytime from PS3 to Xbox360 I used component for awhile. Didn't notice any difference, but I was still annoyed because I had to change my AVR settings everytime (from HDMI input to optical) I'm now using only HDMI once again. On everything except my Wii of course.

So, other then processing power, what would avoid the wii to deliver hd graphs?

There was rumors back in 2007 that the gpu could produce hd graphics. (the story of the drunken guy)

Could the POWER Wii be an upgrade of the OS, allowing the console to push out better graphs for not high power demanding
games, I wonder? What if more memory could be added by some
of the ports (i know they are slower than a standard memory slot, but what if?)?

Around the Network

There really isn't a large enough market of Analog HD enabled TVs for it to warrent a firmware upgrade

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X

My 720p Sony Bravia reads that it's getting a 1080p analog signal from my 360 this very moment.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Component cable can be made as good as HDMI picture wise with some tweaking...what it can't do is 5.1 audio.

j.thomaz said:

There was rumors back in 2007 that the gpu could produce hd graphics. (the story of the drunken guy)

Could the POWER Wii be an upgrade of the OS, allowing the console to push out better graphs for not high power demanding
of the ports (i know they are slower than a standard memory slot, but what if?)?

Mainly the framebuffer.  The Wii's is too small for an HD frame, unless they used a tile-based renderer.  However, I'm pretty sure that developers would have noticed this before now, you can't exactly hide it.

But, from what I know of Hollywood, it certainly has the fill-rate for HD output, so who really knows for sure.

PhalanxCO said:
j.thomaz said:

Mainly the framebuffer.  The Wii's is too small for an HD frame, unless they used a tile-based renderer.  However, I'm pretty sure that developers would have noticed this before now, you can't exactly hide it.

But, from what I know of Hollywood, it certainly has the fill-rate for HD output, so who really knows for sure.

Exactly. The main problem is the the frame-buffer is even smaller than the PS2's, which explains why PS2 could be made to output in high definition, but the Wii, whose GPU outclasses the PS2 in every other way, cannot.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.