By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "The Uncanny Valley". A study with CGI........Revisited!

CGI-Quality said:
maverick40 said:
hey CGI, really good thread. I am very impressed. Do you study this for a living?

I'm in school for it (partially)

Simulation & Game Development. As a hobby though, it's my absolute daily task. It's a deep passion. Give you guys a better understanding of my crazy fascination with HEAVY RAIN.

I thought the bolded was entirely due to Madison.

Good article, CGI. I am actually wondering, now having seen in all of his HD glory Kratos ripping the eye out of a cyclops, whether or not I really WANT to make it past the uncanny valley. I mean, do we really want to see some of the things we do to our VG characters look COMPLETELY real? For instance, just watching Madison get her throat cut in her dream made me want to upchuck, and that was one of the less realistic looking things in the game. I would NOT want to watch that in a totally realistic way, like it was happening to a real human. It would turn me off more than seeing it happen to a stylized "person". I'm so torn about this right now, I need some CGI level-headedness to set me straight!

Around the Network

"I'll believe it when I see it" but what happens when we can no longer believe what we see?

I mean potentially this could lead to fake news stories across the globe. Propaganda against the US from enemy nations could reach a whole new level. Osama could release more videos dead then Tupac releases albums and we would never know the difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSW2pPlZF-M
Now that wasn't uncanny at all.

"What have i done.? Is it too late to save me from this place? From the depths of the grave? We all are those .. who thought we were brave."

CGI-Quality said:
maverick40 said:
hey CGI, really good thread. I am very impressed. Do you study this for a living?

I'm in school for it (partially)

Simulation & Game Development. As a hobby though, it's my absolute daily task. It's a deep passion. Give you guys a better understanding of my crazy fascination with HEAVY RAIN.

That is really interesting, haha yeah now i understand where the fascination comes from. My passion is gaming too and pretty much anything related to it, unfortunately studying rocket science didnt really prepare me for a carreer in the games industry

Keep up the work though, its facinating stuff by the sounds of it!

kowenicki said:
its always the eyes and eye lids (blinking) that fail to quite grasp it..

that link above, skin tones.. fine, mouth.. fine, hair.. fine

eyes.. nah..

Are you talking about the moving head link that Porcupine_I posted, or CGI-Quality's from the OP? 

I thought the one in the OP was better, and didn't find the hair in the other to be very realistic at all.  It was glued to the head/shoulders, but seemed to stretch in the neck region...

I think Avatar is the closest to real human CGI I've seen. Then again they weren't exactly human, but blue people with tails so they so that alone would stop me from being put off by any uncanny valley effect I might notice. Still the animation and facial expressions were superb and really conveyed lots of emotion.

Beowulf was probably the best humans I've seen. A few moments throughout the film it was tricking my mind to think they were real people. It really startled me and took me out of the movie a few times becoming too focused on how real they looked.

I remember the old guy in Final Fantasy Spirits Within had the same effect on me at the time. I kept doing a double take looking at him knowing he was not real.

Around the Network

CGI; you should cease this at once! Graphics are evil!

CGI-Quality said:
Smeags said:
CGI-Quality said:
kowenicki said:
its always the eyes and eye lids (blinking) that fail to quite grasp it..

that link above, skin tones.. fine, mouth.. fine, hair.. fine

eyes.. nah..

As much as I love HEAVY RAIN, it has some of those issues. Stiff animations and dead eyes were also frequent.

Indeed. When it comes to the Uncanny Valley, the first things I notice are the eyes and the mouth. The movement of these two facial features are crucial to make something "believable" as a human being... and if something is off (even slightly) I'm quick to notice. Take your link for example (the one that follows the mouse). Most of the facial features are fine, but when the "person" blinks or smiles (especially the smile, ugh!) you can tell that there's something off. Heck, even the picture above it... it's pretty incredible for sure... but there's something just not right about the mouth... I dunno.

This is what impressed me about the movie Avatar so much. Yes, there's some stylization going on that (intelligently on James Cameron's part) masks some faults of present day CGI technologies. However, I took careful watch of the eyes and the mouth of the characters... and I could never find a flaw that took me out of the movie experience (there was that last shot where Jake opens his eyes... It wasn't quite right.) But other than that, I'm not thinking to myself "Man, that's some great CG work!", I'm just watching (and enjoying) the movie, and that's what impresses me most.

Avatar is a good example of clearing the "Valley".

there is a strange, but interesting Video Review, that makes a good point why the Avatar characters work so well with the audience.

don't mind the strange retarded voice, the guy really has a point

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

@Porcupine

What does that have anything to do with The Uncanny Valley?

(And I did mind the voice! It was awful! )

Smeags said:

@Porcupine

What does that have anything to do with The Uncanny Valley?

(And I did mind the voice! It was awful! )

its the voice! it's uncanny!

well, actually i remembered it when avatar was mentioned, and i refer you to the part where he explains how the navi have these cute animal features to appeal to the audience. i agree it has nothing to do with the Uncanny Valley, but with how to avoid it.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

The first picture is creepiest of all!

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you