By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sega: Madworld on Wii was a “mismatch”

Lafiel said:
Bruno Muñoz B said:
- MadWorld US + Europe --- 450.000 = Failure

- Bayonetta 360 US + Europe --- 390.000 = Success
- Bayonetta PS3 US + Europe --- 320.000 = Success

- Madworld US + Europe -- at the same point in time --- 212.501  link: http://www.vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=America&game1=Bayonetta+-+PS3%5B25465%5D&reg2=Others&game2=Bayonetta+-+PS3%5B25465%5D&reg3=All&game3=MadWorld+-+Wii%5B22383%5D&weeks=60

Fair enough, but even ignoring that Wii games are usually less frontloaded and more leggy, there is the difference in budgets. Development costs for HD games are on average 3-4 times more than Wii games - and comparing the two on every level, I am certain the ratio between Madworld and Bayonetta is on the high end, not on the low end. When you take that into account, looking at it financially Madworld was probably as successful as Bayonetta. They were disappointed though probably because they hoped for more sales from a lesser investment, and that didn't happen.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

Around the Network
Galaki said:
SEGA, show us the numbers for dev cost and advertising for both games.

In Sega's defense, it did a lot of advertising for Madworld -- at least on ESPN. 

Of course, the problem may be it was running advertisements in the wrong place. But then again, where do you run ads for M-rated Wii games?

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Sounds good to me give your meh games to the HD twins. I rented this and played it maybe an hour took it back same night. Thank God I rented it. I would have been pissed if I wasted $50.

I agree with the comment somewhat. The game froze 3 times when I played it. Honestly, MadWorld wasn't all that, it was way too short and got repetitive fast. The best part of the game was the badass soundtrack.

Radziel said:
Bruno Muñoz B said:
- MadWorld US + Europe --- 450.000 = Failure

- Bayonetta 360 US + Europe --- 390.000 = Success
- Bayonetta PS3 US + Europe --- 320.000 = Success

look at the sales pattern

http://www.vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=All&game1=MadWorld+-+Wii[22383]&reg2=All&game2=Bayonetta+-+PS3[25465]&reg3=All&game3=Bayonetta+-+X360[25464]&weeks=100

Most MadWorld copies were sold after price cut

At what point in its sales cycle did Bayonetta get a price drop -- to the $40 (or less) it sells for now.

I wonder if that has affected sales positively.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

Sega said this like a few weeks ago. Why are we having a thread about it now?

All these problems people talk about ive never had a problem with, never froze no problems with the camera angle, yes the game could be better in certain areas but it was a good solid game and a gem, people say its repetative, maybe slightly but ive had bags of fun with it, the game doesnt apeal to everyone ut its not a bad game at all

M.U.G.E.N said:
MADWORLD2 = ps3 Move game = WIN!

I would love to see this happen and see how the sales turns out.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

.........Didn't Platinum say they wanted a Madworld sequel?
I guess not on Wii..........
The whole flip-flopping thing they do exclusively in terms of supporting the system really bothers me.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

"Additionally they know the market and the products way better than any bank out there, so they can judge which projects are worthwhile or at least worth the try and which aren't."

When did I bring up any banks?

And the latter part is just bull. If they could judge that, they wouldn't have saturated the party game market, or made all those HD games that lost money.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs