By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 5 franchises where you wonder "what happened"?

luvtospooge said:
Suikoden...What happened :'(

Suikoden is still strong, even the spinoff DS beats majority of JRPGs.

Around the Network

Tony Hawk used to be good.

RolStoppable said:
Acevil said:
MGS4...what happened! :P

All joking aside, I truly want to know what happened to Donkey Kong...I loved that series.

Nintendo is stuck with the thought that their established series should not be puristic anymore, so they either stop making them or add stupid stuff for the sake of having something new. Ironically, whenever they choose the puristic route their games have good or even great sales.

The essence of many Nintendo games is similar to Tetris. It's already a fantastic concept in the first place and can't possibly get much better. To this very day the classic A-type mode of Tetris is still the most popular despite dozens of variations. Many gamers say they want Nintendo to do new things with their games, but people actually are happier with the titles if they remain mostly the same with minor tweaks.

Yeah but most people hate to get used to something new while they are already good with the old one, it causes frustration among casuals.

I'd list the five franchises where I wonder what happened but that would incite a flame war, so I'll just keep it to myself.

Acevil said:
luvtospooge said:
Suikoden...What happened :'(

Suikoden is still strong, even the spinoff DS beats majority of JRPGs.

oh ya true forgot about tierkris, but I want a suikoden VI :(

Around the Network

Burnout and NFS =(
Everything I love lives no longer! God damn Kratos, he really messd up my grammar..

Well, Spyro got into the hands of Sierra Entertainment, along with Crash. Sierra is mediocre.

Sonic has no dev talent behind it (sorry to say) Sonic 4 is a start, but being downloadable, I'm not too sure how much effort they put behind it this time either.

Turok died the second it left the N64. I think Acclaim was only a few years away from extinction at that point, but I cannot fault them for one misstep. However, the biggest mistake was putting Turok on the PS360, where it no longer had the name nor the talent to compete with the several dozen other FPS and Shooting games out there. Plus, wasn't Disney behind it or something? Anyways, I can see why they put it on the PS360 (demographics) but it would've been appreciated much more as a Wii exclusive.

Silent Hill.....I don't understand this one. They kinda disregarded Shattered Memories despite how well it has done in grabbing people who have never played a SH. It has sold ~175,000 and is still leggin it out. I wanted to rent it for my brother at one point, but Blockbuster didn't have it. Shame.

Tomb Raider should have been on this list for the abomination that Underworld was, and the below average story the series has had for years. Other games I would say are in the decline are Tony Hawk (Activision's first true whore), Need for Speed, and the Smackdown vs Raw games.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

I don't agree with Silent Hill. Shattered Memories is one of the best games I ever played.

Dino Crisis & Rival Schools

Need for Speed would have been a good one, after the 2 Undergroud games on PS2 and maybe even Wanted its been a bad ride.