By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 5 franchises where you wonder "what happened"?

aavidbacon said:
Where's Simcity? and Age of Empires?

Sim City is in my post.

As for Age of Empires, that's gone because the company that made it dissolved.  And because the fanbase for the series threw one of the biggest crybaby fests because Age of Empires III wasn't exactly like Age of Empires II.  In effect, the series is gone because the fanbase refused to support it and went back to playing Age of Empires II in protest.  Just another in a long like of good sequels that was hurt by the larger fanbase who got a whole new game and realized they didn't want it in the first place.

SickleSigh said:
Orca_Azure said:
Spyro/crash bandicoot/ megaman/ gauntlet/ mortal kombat

Gauntlet! I loved Dark Legacy on Ps2 but The Seven Sorrows was so not gauntlet. I hope they bring this franchise back even as a xbl/psn game.

Adding to the list Legacy of Kain/Soul Reaver

For the most part, there has been a Gauntlet game every gen, with the last ones last gen on XBOX and Game Boy Advance.  I'm really surprised we haven't seen a new one yet.  Perhaps games like Baulders Gate and Diablo just nailed that coffin shut.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network

For me, Bomberman has dropped the ball on the retail end. Especially with Act Zero.

Live, Blast, and Blitz for the download services are a heaven sent compared to the others but I haven't played them so I can't say much.

Btw, interesting read.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Darc Requiem said:
I'd list the five franchises where I wonder what happened but that would incite a flame war, so I'll just keep it to myself.

I'm feeling the same way,  I imagine i'd have both Sony and Nintendo fans on me, though not Microsoft fans...

mostly because I didn't own an Xbox.

The Tony Hawk series. What the hell happened? It went from being one of the top series out there to absolute crap.

Another is Tomber Raider. I didn't get why Lara Croft had a sex change and changed her name to Nathan Drake at all.

I do not agree with Sonic being on your list. He is still the second most well known video game character in the world and this is a fact that can't be denied. Also, the day levels in Sonic Unleashed are amazing.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

What happened to Jak and Daxter?
What happened to Grand Turismo(delayed damn)
What happened to.....Akuji the heartless

Around the Network

Tony Hawk, Resident Evil, and Final Fantasy.