By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - David Cage 'frustrated' by Microsoft's 'sci-fi' Natal presentation.

oldschoolfool said:
Garnett said:

He is right, same thing with MOVE. They make that shit out like its actually gonna be that good. Motion controllers are shit for gaming.

of course there going to make it out like its actually that good. What are they suppose to say there products suck?

In some cases yes :

Around the Network

Well maybe I'm just stuck in the present but I think Natal will go over slightly better than the 'new' coke. I don't own a skateboard but wouldn't people with active outdoor lifestyles be the least likely to buy natal?

Squilliam said:
masterb8tr said:
i wonder how that car game works.. how do you accelerate?

Toyota has it working. People say its unintended acceleration.I say its early field trials of Natal!

OT: What D. Cage says about Natal is irrelevant because.

1. Its a marketing presentation not a technical presentation and the goal was to spark the imagination. Hyperbole is common wherever you look and its just a means of getting noticed.

2. Hes not exactly independant, and hes affiliated with a company who would talk smack about their own mother if she released a competitive product.

3. I wasn't particularly happy with his motion control implementation on Heavy Rain. Quite a few times the controller didn't register the movement correctly, so perhaps he ought to clean house first before he looks for dirt in other peoples.

1. true but obviously they are hyping theyre product with things it will not be able to do..

2. can you give us an example? I can't remember his company talking smack about competition (or atleast not as much as you describe it... you don't by any chance think he works for Turn10 do you?)

3. Get your controller checked.. it worked flawlessly with everyone I know including myself...

Currently playing: MAG, Heavy Rain, Infamous

Getting Plat trophies for: Heavy Rain, Infamous, RE5,  Burnout and GOW collection once I get it.

gamelover2000 said:
Squilliam said:

Toyota has it working. People say its unintended acceleration.I say its early field trials of Natal!

OT: What D. Cage says about Natal is irrelevant because.

1. Its a marketing presentation not a technical presentation and the goal was to spark the imagination. Hyperbole is common wherever you look and its just a means of getting noticed.

2. Hes not exactly independant, and hes affiliated with a company who would talk smack about their own mother if she released a competitive product.

3. I wasn't particularly happy with his motion control implementation on Heavy Rain. Quite a few times the controller didn't register the movement correctly, so perhaps he ought to clean house first before he looks for dirt in other peoples.

1. true but obviously they are hyping theyre product with things it will not be able to do..

2. can you give us an example? I can't remember his company talking smack about competition (or atleast not as much as you describe it... you don't by any chance think he works for Turn10 do you?)

3. Get your controller checked.. it worked flawlessly with everyone I know including myself...

1. Nope they are not. Pretty much everybody who saw it could see it was fantasy. Hes about the only person whom anyone would care to listen to the opinion of who can't seem to make this distinction.

2. Sony is who he is affiliated with. Sony 2nd/1st party developers have a bad habit of talking about the Wii/Xbox 360. I suspect the major developers which have talked about the Xbox 360 or Wii in a negative sense are outnumbering those who haven't. Obviously this reflects company policy whereas only a single developer which is Turn 10 from Microsofts side and none from Nintendo have done likewise.

3. Theres no way for me to check it anymore. I sold the game as I didn't feel it had good replayability.

Tease.

NeoRatt said:
Why is the Sony camp on such an offensive against Natal? Tretton, now Cage...

Sony's camp has never promised to deliver and come up short... Lair, Sixaxis controller with no rumble, Home, Backwards compatibility, optional firmware upgrades, Linux support, etc... And delayed stuff for months or years... Killzone 2, GT5, Heavy Rain, etc.

Maybe the vendors should focus on their product offerings and be less concerned about being skeptical to their competition. That goes for all of them not just the Sony camp.

I agree with Tretton in that sony has been using this tech for 8 years now, but in agreeing with that I cant turn around and agree with cage.

sony has already implemented this tech in eye of judgement, eyepet and this tech demo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXJPok3NZEk.

as for the laser beams two simple things:
1. one exaggeration for effect you know a hyperbole, commonly used in advertising.
2. confirmation the image has been scanned.

misleading maybe but two good reasons for it. 

correct me if I am wrong
stop me if I am bias
I love a good civilised debate (but only if we can learn something).

Around the Network

Giving him the benefit of the doubt it could be no more than basic cultural view of marketing hyperbole.

The video is standard for US I'd say, however from a more European standpoint it seems a little 'too much' as it is clearly fake vs something credible.

However, as others have noted, it is more intended as a 'what if' video and fits within established boundaries for such material, so I think he's kind of making comments about nothing really.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Like David Cage says, it is very unlikely that Natal is capable of doing several of the things presented in the promo unless A) it costs a good deal more then they sell it for or B) they acquired alien technology 100 years ahead of our own.

To capture a skateboard at HD resolution would require a very high quality camera. What many people forget is that static images look far different then motion images of the same quality. If you look at Youtube in motion it looks OK but stop it at a single frame and it looks horrible.

They show people in a sort of eyetoy esque game where they are interacting with Natal and can see themselves in some of their promotional material and, of course, the people look fine in motion which is probably the case. I don't doubt that, in motion, you can see people on the screen for a reasonable price (a lot of webcams manage this for 30-50 bucks) but I do doubt that an under 100 dollar motion capture camera rig can take high MP images that would allow for input into the game, do decent video capture and have all the hardware to capture motion at speed.

I mean the bit mapping and motion capture rigs used by major studios cost many many times what Natal costs just for that capability alone.

Also Quantic Dream is usually a multiplat developer. Their previous game, Indigo Prophecy, was out on Xbox, PC and PS3. I doubt that he is being fanboyish in his assessment.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Interesting to see where people come down on this.

I will say this though -- given the PR this technology has received, Microsoft needs to tread carefully with the hyperbole. What might seem obvious to posters in this forum as not being possible (what David Cage pointed out), may be the implicit expectation of the purchaser. Thus, if the promotional video results in an clear misunderstanding regarding the capabilities of the technology, the resultant bad publicity will be very costly for Microsoft.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

oldschoolfool said:
Garnett said:

He is right, same thing with MOVE. They make that shit out like its actually gonna be that good. Motion controllers are shit for gaming.

of course there going to make it out like its actually that good. What are they suppose to say there products suck?

lol you got me there.

imagine if Peter Molyneux talk shit about the other consoles, man! Sony folks should take it easy on bashing though, it's not funny anymore.