By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - David Cage 'frustrated' by Microsoft's 'sci-fi' Natal presentation.

Squilliam said:
dahuman said:
Why are some of you people talking shit about Quantic Dream like Sony owns them? They've always been a multiplat dev studio. Look at Natal more like the original Wiimote to the Wii right now is a more precious way of looking at it, it will improve over time, that's if it's a commercial success first.

They have a multiple game deal as far as I know. That makes David Cage a shill of Sony and hence he falls under their umbrella of 'tends to talk crap about other consoles' of which most of their major developers have partaken.

Actually, there was a news story a few weeks before Heavy Rain came out that said exactly the opposite.  That Quantic Dream's next game could go to any console.  The question is, does Microsoft care enough to get them away from Sony (who are probably pleasantly surprised by Heavy Rain's success at this point).

Around the Network

i think since its not a product made by sony , this guy will make those comments. he loves sony this gen, and everyone knows all his companies games this gen will be on the ps3 and not m$/natal.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

its obvious that some of the things we saw wont be in the final product because they are just not possible with the technology we have today.

Sonys move promises nothing what the Wii cant already do except augmented reality. Sony wont be lying its nothing magical what they try to achieve with the move.

natal on the other hand is a whole other level. I doubt that we will see this gen whats really possible with 3d cameras probably not even next gen. I am curios what MS is able to do with todays technology.

Impulsivity said:
ramses01 said:
Impulsivity said:
Like David Cage says, it is very unlikely that Natal is capable of doing several of the things presented in the promo unless A) it costs a good deal more then they sell it for or B) they acquired alien technology 100 years ahead of our own.

To capture a skateboard at HD resolution would require a very high quality camera. What many people forget is that static images look far different then motion images of the same quality. If you look at Youtube in motion it looks OK but stop it at a single frame and it looks horrible.

They show people in a sort of eyetoy esque game where they are interacting with Natal and can see themselves in some of their promotional material and, of course, the people look fine in motion which is probably the case. I don't doubt that, in motion, you can see people on the screen for a reasonable price (a lot of webcams manage this for 30-50 bucks) but I do doubt that an under 100 dollar motion capture camera rig can take high MP images that would allow for input into the game, do decent video capture and have all the hardware to capture motion at speed.

I mean the bit mapping and motion capture rigs used by major studios cost many many times what Natal costs just for that capability alone.

Also Quantic Dream is usually a multiplat developer. Their previous game, Indigo Prophecy, was out on Xbox, PC and PS3. I doubt that he is being fanboyish in his assessment.

The RGB camera is 1600 x 1200 so why couldn't it capture the skate board?

It CAN capture it, just not at HD resolution.  

You say "the RGB Camera is 1600 x 1200" as if that is a high quality camera.  That is fine for video chat type purposes, but not for still images.  1600x1200 isn't even 2 Megapixels.  Most modern cell phones even have 3-5 MPs these days because at any kind of decent resolution stuff taken at low resolution looks horrible when inserted into high resolution environments.

It could capture the skateboard, just not at the quality depicted.  In actuality with the kind of camera the Natal has it would be heavily pixilated and look pretty bad in any kind of HD environment within the actual game itself. 

you do realize that 1600 x 1200 is significantly higher than typical HD resolution right? if the bulk of that resolution is devoted to the scanned image and then shrunk to the appropriate texture size ..... 1600 x1200 seems like more than enough to accomplish the technique shown.

dsister44 said:

Guys, since when is David Cage a Sony fan? Because the dev made one PS3 exclusive?

you know whats ironic ? David Cage himself came to this very site and told CGI-Quality that he is a Sony Fan ( i am serious , but can't find the thread for some reason )

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
dahuman said:
Why are some of you people talking shit about Quantic Dream like Sony owns them? They've always been a multiplat dev studio. Look at Natal more like the original Wiimote to the Wii right now is a more precious way of looking at it, it will improve over time, that's if it's a commercial success first.

They have a multiple game deal as far as I know. That makes David Cage a shill of Sony and hence he falls under their umbrella of 'tends to talk crap about other consoles' of which most of their major developers have partaken.

So your opinion about another opinion that you call bias is obviously not bias either?

He's probably talking smack but I think most marketing is crap. Cage is probably stating the obvious in regards to the laser scanning but believe it or not, for guys not as intelligent as yourself and others on here, some people will see what they see with the laser scanning as literal. This is what marketers hope to do - deceive the gullible. Remember, all people that drink Coke have hot bodies and love the beach and surf. At least that is not sci-fi lol.

Ask Joe Blow or Jill Blow down the street, assuming they saw the hyperboled presentation - I would hazard to guess many would take it as literal. Regardless of the added in lasers, it's still a stretch to even imply that the object is scanned in with the implied accuracy. Anyway, Cage should know better but again, maybe he is just countering lousy marketing. But hey, he's bias, right.

I think he has a point that is relevant to those that are not geeks, nerds, console fanboi's and watchers of Big Bang Theory :). For us? You are right, we are smarter than this.

It seems like what the video did with the skateboard would be really easy, actually. I mean Rainbow Six Vegas had the ability to map your face to your character with just a cheapo Vision camera. Natal will have that combined with the 3D mapping ability.

Also, who says it has to be a perfect replica of the item scanned. The video was just a concept video showing things Natal COULD do. Maybe to a slightly exaggerated extent but I see now reason why games using Natal could not do this. They could probably even develop some code that converts the image into the game's art style so its not just a picture pasted on an object.

So I guess I don't see where Cage get's his beef from. The only thing that seemed far fetched was the red laser thing that it showed capturing the board, but again that was just for show so you knew it was doing a scanning action.

Dude needs to seriously keep his biased comments to himself, It will be ironic later "if" Natal is successful, they develope a game for it using this scanning technique....

Wait...didn't Insomniac have similiar comments about Natal...see what I did?

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Eye Pet already does object (technically image) scanning.

As far as I can tell from the promos, having not bought the game, the program allows the PS Eye to recognize 2D drawings and assemble them into 3D models for the character to interact with.

This really isn't a stretch from holding up two or three orthostatic views of an object (side, front, top or bottom of say a skateboard) in front of a camera and having the software approximate a 3D model of the object to be used by an in game character or player.

Last year's Natal presentation set some pretty lofty goals, but I don't see why there should be any major problems with the way MS chose to show simulations of how the tech is supposed to work. Only if it doesn't.