By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - UK - 360's strongest country?

1: US
2: Canada
3. Maybe UK?

Last: Japan

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*
Around the Network
Seece said:
JimmyRay said:
I wonder if anyone has accurate figures of install bases of PS3/360. 2nd hand the 360 isnt very desireable since it's quite likely to break down, while people happily buy PS3s second hand as they're more reliable.

I bet at least 1/4 of 360 sales have fallen to the RROD and been replaced whereas PS3s do suffer problems but A LOT less and normally get fixed rather than replaced as they were higher priced machines (especially compared to a 360 arcade).

I imagine the fact that no one trusts a second hand 360 drives sales very well. :)

No they just get it fixed for free VIA Microsoft.

You'd be suprised how many people don't use, or qualify for the free microsoft fixing. Nice way to hide an enormous failure rate and keep it under wraps while avoiding class action lawsuits though. Plus the 1million+ xbox 360 consoles banned for piracy.

Back on topic I'm suprised the 360 is leading sales in the UK, but I guess it is according to hard sales. I just wonder what the actuall install base of these consoles are though, especially considering the amount of broken consoles and second hand sales. Any charts of how many individual consoles log onto PSN/XBL monthly?

-Insert PSN Portable ID here-

-Insert XBL Portable ID here-

-Insert Witty Quote/Comment here-

JimmyRay said:
Seece said:
JimmyRay said:
I wonder if anyone has accurate figures of install bases of PS3/360. 2nd hand the 360 isnt very desireable since it's quite likely to break down, while people happily buy PS3s second hand as they're more reliable.

I bet at least 1/4 of 360 sales have fallen to the RROD and been replaced whereas PS3s do suffer problems but A LOT less and normally get fixed rather than replaced as they were higher priced machines (especially compared to a 360 arcade).

I imagine the fact that no one trusts a second hand 360 drives sales very well. :)

You'd be suprised how many people don't use, or qualify for the free microsoft fixing. Nice way to hide an enormous failure rate and keep it under wraps while avoiding class action lawsuits though. Plus the 1million+ xbox 360 consoles banned for piracy.

Back on topic I'm suprised the 360 is leading sales in the UK, but I guess it is according to hard sales. I just wonder what the actuall install base of these consoles are though, especially considering the amount of broken consoles and second hand sales. Any charts of how many individual consoles log onto PSN/XBL monthly?

Nah I wouldn't be surprised, you have absoloutely no proof as to what Microsoft accept and don't accept. If a console gets RROD within 3 years it'll get fixed for free, end of. Even then they're pretty lenient.

The "actual" install base is what the figures on here are, there is no point talking to you though, it's pretty obvious you're talking rubbish, 360 tag under your name or not.

US by far. UK maybe 2nd

Seece said:
JimmyRay said:
Seece said:
JimmyRay said:

Nah I wouldn't be surprised, you have absoloutely no proof as to what Microsoft accept and don't accept. If a console gets RROD within 3 years it'll get fixed for free, end of. Even then they're pretty lenient.

The "actual" install base is what the figures on here are, there is no point talking to you though, it's pretty obvious you're talking rubbish, 360 tag under your name or not.

I think its you whose blinded. I'm quite reasonable and open to ideas, hence the 360 tag and 50+ 360 games I own. I still know the massive failure rate of the console though and many people who own multiple 360s because they didn't want to wait 2 weeks to get their console repaired. Microsoft accept 3 red lights, theres still a massive percentage of consoles which get other errors. Everyone I've asked has or knows someone who's had a 360 fail on them!

You should look into what install base and sales are, the figures tracked on here are sales and the tracking is a good estimate if that, they represent nothing of actual install base. Please look at your own ramblings before saying someone else is talking rubbish while in the same sentence you make a false and uneducated statement about the figures on here!

Install base is actual working consoles in homes, sales tracks only new consoles sold in shops, it does not track whether they break, it does not track second hand sales, it does not track the 1million+ banned consoles, it does not track if your dog peed in the dvd drive and it got sent to the tip! It's not unfair to estimate that the 360 install base is significantly lower than it's sales figures (I'd guess 30%+), and a greater margin of differerence than the PS3's install base compared to it's sales figures (PS3 10%?).

Around the Network
JimmyRay said:
Seece said:
JimmyRay said:

Ok, one word for you. Bullcrap. Yes thats a linked word.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=95957&page=1&str=1811104635

Its the week before Christmas and the Xbox 360 has 12 titles in the top 40 vs 6 titles for the PS3. This does support the userbase argument.

Tease.

JimmyRay said:
Seece said:
JimmyRay said:
Seece said:
JimmyRay said:

I think its you whose blinded. I'm quite reasonable and open to ideas, hence the 360 tag and 50+ 360 games I own. I still know the massive failure rate of the console though and many people who own multiple 360s because they didn't want to wait 2 weeks to get their console repaired. Microsoft accept 3 red lights, theres still a massive percentage of consoles which get other errors. Everyone I've asked has or knows someone who's had a 360 fail on them!

You should look into what install base and sales are, the figures tracked on here are sales and the tracking is a good estimate if that, they represent nothing of actual install base. Please look at your own ramblings before saying someone else is talking rubbish while in the same sentence you make a false and uneducated statement about the figures on here!

Install base is actual working consoles in homes, sales tracks only new consoles sold in shops, it does not track whether they break, it does not track second hand sales, it does not track the 1million+ banned consoles, it does not track if your dog peed in the dvd drive and it got sent to the tip! It's not unfair to estimate that the 360 install base is significantly lower than it's sales figures (I'd guess 30%+), and a greater margin of differerence than the PS3's install base compared to it's sales figures (PS3 10%?).

I didn't say you were blinded? and I know exaclty what an install base is, I know the difference between active and actual install base too.

Consoles only bought for Blu Ray, consoles pissed on by their dog (wtf?) consoles broken ect, can't be estimated whatsoever. 360 has a much larger warrenty than the 360, I reckon that pretty much put's it at even with the amount of broken PS3's out there. You have no idea how many people don't go ahead with the warrenty ( why the heck wouldnt they) you can only put down a guesstimate percentage, and going by your tone I know exactly what stance you'll take, 30 xbox games or not, that's not "proof" you don't heavily favour sony and you're here for good honest discussion.

I'd say the 360's strongest country is somewhere random, probably with a lot of piracy (like Brazil or something).

Squilliam said:

k, one word for you. Bullcrap. Yes thats a linked word.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=95957&page=1&str=1811104635

Its the week before Christmas and the Xbox 360 has 12 titles in the top 40 vs 6 titles for the PS3. This does support the userbase argument.

That's fair enough, as I said I don't trust console sales for install bases considering the failure rates of the 360. Game sales figures give a much better look at what consoles people have and what consoles people are buying software for.

Seece said:
JimmyRay said:

I didn't say you were blinded? and I know exaclty what an install base is, I know the difference between active and actual install base too.

Consoles only bought for Blu Ray, consoles pissed on by their dog (wtf?) consoles broken ect, can't be estimated whatsoever. 360 has a much larger warrenty than the 360, I reckon that pretty much put's it at even with the amount of broken PS3's out there. You have no idea how many people don't go ahead with the warrenty ( why the heck wouldnt they) you can only put down a guesstimate percentage, and going by your tone I know exactly what stance you'll take, 30 xbox games or not, that's not "proof" you don't heavily favour sony and you're here for good honest discussion.

You are quite correct, I do favour the PS3 and have a dislike of the 360 even though I own one and have bought more games for it than for my PS3, probably for the same reason as many, because if I'm going to pay to put the thing online I might as well buy games on it. Whether I favour one console or another it doesn't stop me being open to ideas and thinking openly and logically, I'm here for debate and discussion not fanboyism. You seem hell bent that if I dislike the 360 then I am not open to discussion and will not listen to ideas. Honest discussion would be tedious if everyone agreed wouldn't it?

As for a guesstimate, it is my opinion and opinion only, it was merely put there to show my thinking in the argument.