By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The worst sequel to a game?

final fantasy 13 in recent times for sure.
but i would disagree with parasite eve 2, i thought that game amazing.

Around the Network
divwilson50 said:
final fantasy 13 in recent times for sure.
but i would disagree with parasite eve 2, i thought that game amazing.

Probably because here in Europe we didn't have the chance to play the first Parasite Eve, since it was never released on PAL. Trust me, the differences between them are like day and night. 

As a stand alone game, Parasite Eve 2 was good. As a Parasite Eve sequel? Very bad.  

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Cheebee said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
Cheebee said:
Adventure of Link.

Let me guess, you couldn't beat your own shadow?

Not at first no, heck I don't think I even made it to the first temple when I originally got the game. I was like, dunno, way too young and thought it was the hardest game ever. I did finish it, eventually, but not until several years later, when I gave the game another try.

And it's not that I find it a bad game, really. It's just that, compared to the sweet deliciousness that is Zelda 1, it was a far less fun experience. To me. So imo it's the worst kind of sequel. Not because the sequel itself is so bad, but because the game that came before it was so good. To go from such heights in Zelda 1 to such dark deviousness in Zelda 2 felt like a step back. To me.

My dream is for all franchises to turn into platformers.  But you're right.  I think Link's Awakening had the best balance of all the good things from Zelda 1 and 2.  A crazy different spin-off is a really weird idea for the first sequel, but I'm glad they got it out of their way early on.  I would loooove something like a Zelda 2 ReBirth on WiiWare though.

I think the main thing that bothers people about Zelda 2 is the name.  If it was called Zelda Gaiden I bet everybody would love it.

The Getaway Black Monday

gta4
ff12
tekken 4
tekken 5
as much as it pains me to say it ffx-2

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network
Cheebee said:
Cheebee said:
Adventure of Link.

Let me guess, you couldn't beat your own shadow?

Not at first no, heck I don't think I even made it to the first temple when I originally got the game. I was like, dunno, way too young and thought it was the hardest game ever. I did finish it, eventually, but not until several years later, when I gave the game another try.

And it's not that I find it a bad game, really. It's just that, compared to the sweet deliciousness that is Zelda 1, it was a far less fun experience. To me. So imo it's the worst kind of sequel. Not because the sequel itself is so bad, but because the game that came before it was so good. To go from such heights in Zelda 1 to such dark deviousness in Zelda 2 felt like a step back. To me.

My dream is for all franchises to turn into platformers.  But you're right.  I think Link's Awakening had the best balance of all the good things from Zelda 1 and 2.  A crazy different spin-off is a really weird idea for the first sequel, but I'm glad they got it out of their way early on.  I would loooove something like a Zelda 2 ReBirth on WiiWare though.

I think the main thing that bothers people about Zelda 2 is the name.  If it was called Zelda Gaiden I bet everybody would love it.

Hm, that's some dream. Although I must admit, I'd love to play a first person platformer, a roleplaying platformer, a real time strategy platformer, or a dating sim platformer.

You're right about Links Awakening. Then again, it's sort of common knowledge that LA >>> Most Other Games, ever, isn't it?

A revisiting of Zelda 2 on WiiWare sounds intriguing, actually. I'd say no chance in hell of that happening, but weirder things've happened when it comes to Nintendo. And by weirder things I mean Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland. Which is probably better than most other games too.

As for the name thing, I think that might be it, yes. In a perfect world, Zelda 2 would've been released as a CD-i game, as a sister title to Zelda's Adventure. Then nobody would've given its quality a second thought. In fact, they'd probably have praised it.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Devil May Cry 2 would be my pick. Too easy, though I found DMC1 to be a little too annoying as well. But it was short had 2 basically the same play-throughs and that was stupid.

Unreal Tournament 3   

And every CoD game after the first one with expansion.

....Dino Crisis 3!!!!!! wtf is that????

AbbathTheGrim said:
Beuli2 said:
Dare I ask what's up with DMC2?

To me, the game was no good. Super easy with no challenge, the violence and fast moves of Dante seemed to have been slowed down in animation so you didn't feel that aggression that the first one had. Visuals were kind of crappy (except for charater models), I am no graphics-whore so when I am talking about visuals I am talking about design of the environment and enemies, etc. Fighting living-tanks? WTF!? There was no atmosphere there for me. The game was too easy. Dante was not Dante. They tried to convert Dante into a bad and silent version of TwoFace from Batman and it sucked more than TwoFace himself (TwoFace was awesome in The Dark Knight though). I know they wanted to picture a more matured Dante in the game but they could have done a better work for sure. The game's difficulty was too easy. Finished the game with Dante and never got to play the second DVD because I really couldn't put myself to do such a task. I really didn't like it.

This is an opinion of course, this is not written in rock.

Pretty much. I'll also add that the weapon selection was crap; there's practically no reason to use another weapon since your default was good enough for the whole game. There was no variety between them. Also, you can beat mostly every boss by equiping your rocket launcher and shooting them from the corner.

Forgot to mention Star Ocean 3. Part 2 was good, but 3, on the other hand...