By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gaming Blog Bias

Hey guys.  Just wanted to discuss something that has really been bothering me.  It really isnt a big deal.  But it just irritates me when I see it.  Gaming bias.  Im not talking about GoNintendo or websites that are clearly advertised as bias before you enter.  Those are fine.  I expect it from them.  But...Is it just me or are some Kotaku writers ALWAYS ripping on the Wii?  I know its probably in good fun, but they only do it to the Wii.  Im not sure if 1UP or Joystiq does it at all because I don't frequent those sites as much, but Ive noticed with Kotaku (especially Luke Plunkett).  Anyway, before you yell at me with  "omg lighten up.  its a website" and all that jazz, I know.  Its definitely not a big deal.  Its just somehow slightly irritating considering they are supposed to report accurate unbiased news.  Kind of like how Fox is supposed to, but they dont (and many other news stations).

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

Around the Network

This is basically the only gaming sales site i go on.
This is basically the only gaming site i go on
This is basically the only site i go on.

This is the internet.

I rarely read blogs, this issue seems to be similar with reviews, one site is biased towards one console etc. As a single platform owner, i like to read reviews from a site, which reviews only one platform. That way i can get the least biased reviews. Or the way IGN has it, completely diffent sections for each platform.
Of course, doesn't work that way, if you're a multiplatform owner or want to read news and stuff for the other platform.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

i dont really check kotaku,when i used to go there they were always saying somthing bad about wii

loadedstatement said:
Hey guys.  Just wanted to discuss something that has really been bothering me.  It really isnt a big deal.  But it just irritates me when I see it.  Gaming bias.  Im not talking about GoNintendo or websites that are clearly advertised as bias before you enter.  Those are fine.  I expect it from them.  But...Is it just me or are some Kotaku writers ALWAYS ripping on the Wii?  I know its probably in good fun, but they only do it to the Wii.  Im not sure if 1UP or Joystiq does it at all because I don't frequent those sites as much, but Ive noticed with Kotaku (especially Luke Plunkett).  Anyway, before you yell at me with  "omg lighten up.  its a website" and all that jazz, I know.  Its definitely not a big deal.  Its just somehow slightly irritating considering they are supposed to report accurate unbiased news.  Kind of like how Fox is supposed to, but they dont (and many other news stations).

Really?  Because I just went to Kotaku about 2 minutes ago and saw the following:

A story about the discovery of a giant scorpion fossil.  What does that have to do with videogames you may be asking yourself?  Well the story makes fun of Sony and their Genji comments of "historical accuracy", "giant crabs", and "massive damage".

Another one has a story called "Pure Ace Combat 6 Hate" and shows a picture of a AC6 dvd broken in half and praise for Playstation installments of the game. 

And yet I don't seen any 360 or PS3 fanboys making a thread crying "bias".  Some Nintendo fans need to learn to take criticism or at least get a sense of humor because it's like nobody can put down anything on a Nintendo console anymore no matter how bad it is. 

Super Mario Galaxy is at the top of GameRankings and yet anytime some crap game on the Wii gets a 6 or lower we have to listen to a bunch of fanboys cry bias.  Edge gave Mass Effect a 7, go look in the thread and see if any 360 fans cried "bias", yet if it had been a highly anticipated Wii game we would have had a least one of two threads bashing them.

Anyways if you don't like the website don't go there but don't expect anyone to take the bias claims seriously anymore.

Around the Network

I agree with Legend ... not everithing Nintendo makes is near-perfect , lets face it lately their games are way to short and way to easy ... and no way the games will ever look so good as the competitions ... so yeah , suck it up , and go forward :)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

The first most logical explanation is simply that Wii owners are the clear majority right now. The Wii has quickly over taken and overshadowed its competition. The result is that Wii owners are the most vocal group. Attacks or simply negative comments directed against the Wii have the most backlash by sheer popularity.

The second explanation is simply pride. Wii owners, more or less, love their little white bundle of goodness so they take comments a lot more personally than more "hardcore" gamers who view their console with a bit more indifference. It doesn't just put pretty shinies on the screen, it produces fun.

Another likely explanation is that the most vocal 360 owners have been shut up with in the past year by the Wii's success. So many of them predicted failure on every level for the Wii that with each passing month, Wii fans repeatedly drilled it into their thick skulls that the Wii was the real thing and it was crushing their precious 360. Months of listening to that likely discouraged many 360 gamers so you don't hear them quite as often.

The final explanation for the PS3 owners is that there simply isn't that many of them. Plus they're too busy playing their epic-length games like Resistance FoM and Heavenly Sword.

Sarcasm aside, not every community is the same. Some gaming communities are vastly different than others.  That's not bias, it's simply not equal representation.

Damn Legend you rock.

Obviously every gamer is biased and so are all gaming sites/magazines.So do whats good for your stomach and just read the ones that fit your taste of videogaming.

Quality for Life

Legend11 said:
loadedstatement said:
Hey guys. Just wanted to discuss something that has really been bothering me. It really isnt a big deal. But it just irritates me when I see it. Gaming bias. Im not talking about GoNintendo or websites that are clearly advertised as bias before you enter. Those are fine. I expect it from them. But...Is it just me or are some Kotaku writers ALWAYS ripping on the Wii? I know its probably in good fun, but they only do it to the Wii. Im not sure if 1UP or Joystiq does it at all because I don't frequent those sites as much, but Ive noticed with Kotaku (especially Luke Plunkett). Anyway, before you yell at me with "omg lighten up. its a website" and all that jazz, I know. Its definitely not a big deal. Its just somehow slightly irritating considering they are supposed to report accurate unbiased news. Kind of like how Fox is supposed to, but they dont (and many other news stations).

Really? Because I just went to Kotaku about 2 minutes ago and saw the following:

A story about the discovery of a giant scorpion fossil. What does that have to do with videogames you may be asking yourself? Well the story makes fun of Sony and their Genji comments of "historical accuracy", "giant crabs", and "massive damage".

Another one has a story called "Pure Ace Combat 6 Hate" and shows a picture of a AC6 dvd broken in half and praise for Playstation installments of the game.

And yet I don't seen any 360 or PS3 fanboys making a thread crying "bias". Some Nintendo fans need to learn to take criticism or at least get a sense of humor because it's like nobody can put down anything on a Nintendo console anymore no matter how bad it is.

Super Mario Galaxy is at the top of GameRankings and yet anytime some crap game on the Wii gets a 6 or lower we have to listen to a bunch of fanboys cry bias. Edge gave Mass Effect a 7, go look in the thread and see if any 360 fans cried "bias", yet if it had been a highly anticipated Wii game we would have had a least one of two threads bashing them.

Anyways if you don't like the website don't go there but don't expect anyone to take the bias claims seriously anymore.

I agree to an extent, despite the fact I am going to add a Wii to my collection in the next few months and complete the circle. It just gets old hearing the majority of Wii fanboys act as if criticism has violated their civil rights in some manner...acting like it is unconstitutional to say anything negative about their beloved bundle of joy. The forum is starting to get overrun by Wii threads which main topic consist of the blasphemy of said site/individual/magazine for said negative comments of the Wii. Honestly, I have never seen so much complaining about other people disagreeing with a persons console/game of choice, and it is really starting to get annoying. Why do some of you take so much offense to what others think anyways? Why feel the need to let everyone know how someone has wronged you and your Wii by writing opinions that contradict yours. Nothing is perfect, just take it all with a grain of salt if you feel otherwise about things, and just get over it. That is life.

Currently Playing:

PS4 - Killzone:SF and Assasins Creed 4

XBox One: BF4, CoD:Ghosts, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5

Changing channels with my voice: priceless!!!